Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blender->fbx->trainzmesh problem (98592)

Hybrid View

Default Blender->fbx->trainzmesh problem (98592)

Hi,
    I've been trying to solve the problem for 6 hours. One stupid wall that drives me crazy but perhaps I do everything ok and the FBX->trainzmesh importer is broken... I'm a Blender novice but figured out things that I need. Now I try to convert some of my old assets to be PBR equipped. I export objects from Gmax to OBJ and then import the obj to Blender. All goes quite well but one wall causes I can't sleep :-(

As you can see on both pictures one wall disappears when imported to TRS19...

There were 3 meshes exported from Gmax - the surface, all the walls, and the problematic wall as the third. I've tried many things from just flipping normals to preparing such wall from scratch (deleting the one imported from gmax). No matter what I do the wall is always displaying the texture up. I even divided this wall to 2 pieces and tried one with normals up and one with normals down - everything is up in trainz... Is it a trainz bug???

Blog Entries

Is the missing wall visible in Blender? Your pic suggests not.

It could be a scaling issue. I was helping Majekear do something similar with a boxcar door and it was found about a half kilometre up in the sky with a massive size.

If it's not appearing in TRS19 then make sure you are selecting the right option for export to FBX. i.e. all visible objects or all selected objects. I prefer the latter but have been known to forget a couple and the result is much like yours.

You might try using the free FBX view tool called "open 3D viewer". It doesn't always show the textures but will show the mesh from the FBX file. Just search for it on the web.

If all else fails you can contact me via PM and perhaps I can have a look at it.

Paul

I mean the ceiling, it is visible, sorry ..
    The backwall is not present intentionaly

And yes, all the meshes are selected while exporting. As I said, everything checked. I imported the fbx back to blender with all things as intended. I also imported the fbx to a win10 built in thingy and it shows up ok. The asset imports wrongly in Trainz after the trainz importer (fbx to trainzmesh) I can't check the trainzmesh with any utility other than trainz itself.
    Last edited by samplaire; December 30th, 2018 at 05:52 PM.

Blog Entries

This looks like a problem I've seen with another user's asset. We haven't solved it yet but in his case I think, but am not sure, that it is caused by overlapping UVs. However. that asset was imported from GMax into Blender using OBJ, I think. Perhaps something is happening in the conversion because I haven't seen it occur in my test assets.

Paul

I also imported my asset from Gmax to Blender using OBJ however this problematic bow is made from scratch in Blender.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by samplaire View Post
    I also imported my asset from Gmax to Blender using OBJ however this problematic bow is made from scratch in Blender.
    OK. I'll have a look when I get your files.

Paul

United States of America, Michagain, Berkley
    Blog Entries

In Blender, hit "n" then under Muiltitexture set Backface Culling and see if your wall shows.

Thank you whitepass for your comment! Unlike Gmax Blender shows both sides of a plane textured by default. Recently, indeed, I found the feature you mention to show textures only on the side that is intended to be textured.

After my failure with the there model I started to convert a next one. Funny (or rather not) a model has flipped sides sometimes but the flipped sides are right when exported to trainz and sometimes as they are in Blender. Even more! One of the flipped sides in Blender that is also flipped in trainz I did ‚flip normals’ in blender and it was fixed! But other which are flipped in trainz which I flip in blender are still flipped in trainz...

I’m starting to think there is a bug in the fbx->trainz importer. Why? Back in the 96000 I started to convert my first assets - tracks. All was as expected. When a second version of TRS19 came I was continuing my work. In that time first problems occured with almast all sides flipped. I then returned to 96000 and everything returned to normal convertion! Now I have no opportunity to check in 96000 because I deleted the installer...

AFAIR the third version of TRS19 worked ok

Blog Entries

I've found something odd. If you export just the curved mesh then you will see, within TRS19, that the texture is rendered on the concealed part of the mesh. Flipping the normals on the curved mesh of the assets and re-exporting makes no difference.

It's almost as if something is locked with regard to that particular mesh. I searched through all the attributes comparing it with a known working mesh but cannot see anything.

I found two solutions to this:

1. Make that mesh double-sided by setting the material metadata to double-sided. Not recommended as it effectively makes all the meshes using that material to be double sided.

2. Join all the meshes using the same material into one mesh making sure the last mesh selected is a "good" mesh. The hotkey for that is Ctrl J. I tried it and it works.

It bothers me that the cause of the problem is not evident and I can only assume it was introduced with the OBJ export out of GMax or perhaps the import into Blender. If I have some time I'll have another look tomorrow.

Paul

Have you experimmented with the obj or my blender project? You used only one tex in the obj first attempt you showed me. I’m asking regarding the joining. When I joined it to other elements it did no difference (it’s impossible to join it to a mesh with the same tex/material because only this arch uses it). You said you saw the texture when the arch was separated. In fact (when you go inside the model) you see it is always there.

Blog Entries

Definitely payware here but I see it is a dependency of a couple payware assets so I'll assume it got caught up in that. I've run a DB repair, deleted and downloaded those cars again and they are still transparent. Maybe I'll change a few video settings.

Paul

Blog Entries

A few more thoughts: The origin and/or scaling could be an issue. Try hiding, one by one, each mesh in the scene that looks OK. Then use the Select All (letter A), followed by the Full Stop/Period key. That should take you to the closest selected object. In my early days of Blender I often found missing objects well outside my field of view.

Paul

Thank you Paul! This advise from the last post - I can't reproduce it - the period key doesn't take me anywhere... However, I foud another thing. I didn't fix the bow. I isolated the bow to see it has a texture on both sides. So I started to investigate to find the bow became a box containing circa 70 polys. But the box had flat sides so you saw only the top and bottom. But the rest of the sides existed - I saw the dots on the edges. When I highlighted the lines (in faace mode) and deleted all of the sides/lines I ended with reasonable 32 polys. So this is not solved but workarounded... I reproduced this on the second model. What I did was 'extrude-> region (vertex normals)' which lead me to have a identical built box - only 2 sides visible and flat lines on the sides. I went back to the viaduct model to experiment with deleting the unwanted faces. All ended in having the same issue of faces directed to the top rather than to the desired down.

I will send you the obj of the model but I doubt it has something with the translation - as I said the bow was made intirely in Blender though the fact is the whole environment of the model is from gmax.

Blog Entries

OK. The double sided tag is in the Object Data panel for each mesh. I suggest you turn it off unless there is something you particularly want to be double-sided, such as a window.

Double sided used to be the default option and still is AFAIK. If you want the default to be off, create a new default project, the one with the cube, turn off the double side option and save as the default project. i.e. File->Save Startup File.

Sorry, the View Selected hotkey is Numpad . (period). If there is nothing to select or nothing selected then the hotkey does nothing.

Paul

United States of America, Oregon, Portland

I doubt this is your problem, but as a future reference, one other thing I've seen cause problems is multiple UVMaps on a mesh.

Curtis