Thinking of a system upgrade...

mikey186

More TO Explore
It's been since 2 years ago when I asked you all what graphics card I could use for the upcoming T:ANE, I managed to get a ASUS branded nVidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti, 2GB VRAM, along with a 8GB RAM upgrade from 4GB.

Now, with TRS2019 (finally the nostalgia name is back), ran the beta, and from the looks of it, TRS2019 is (technically) much ready to roll. It was only as only as 'high' settings as it can go, but loading the whole route along with the objects is a pain. So obviously the video card needs to be upgraded (manufactured in 2013, upgraded in 2016), I would wish more of entry level GPU, as it's the only cheap as it can. I'm pretty much to say that my whole system.....may need a swap upgrade.

Here are my specs:

Intel i3 2120 3.30 Ghz (Duo core, quad threads)
8GB RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 750Ti

mikey186 - TRS19 doesn't require much more in the way of hardware to run Trainz than its immediate predecessor, T:ANE.
Indeed, most of us find that TRS19 runs better than T:ANE does on the same hardware.
T:ANE does however have more stringent requirements than TS12, so an upgrade would indeed be desirable for your rig.

The latest Intel i5 CPUs rock up to 6 cores and have much higher operating frequencies.
And AMD have some excellent - and very affordable - R5 Ryzen processors that are exceptionally attractive right now.

You will need new DDR4 RAM, however and a new mobo whichever way you lean.

Regarding video card recommendations for TRS19? Minimum I would suggest is the 6Gb version of the GTX-1060, or its upcoming successor, the RTX 2060 (Not out yet).
These cards provide a quantum leap in performance over the GTX 750Ti and come with much more (and faster) VRAM.

Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019 is definitely worth the investment you'll be making in upgrading your rig.
Wait 'til you see how well it makes your existing TS12 routes run and look once you bring them over.
Greater draw distances, Post Processing, realistic shadows (as opposed to the pseudo-shadows in TS12) and fantastic lighting and environmental effects.

Good news it that you'll pay about the same for today's replacement components as you did for your 2 year-old ones.
The step-change in performance, however, will be considerable.

Back