Saving the world origin position - how?

I'm obviously losing it.

After all these years, I still get confused with Layers, Routes and Sessions when it comes to changing and saving the location of the world origin. Whenever I try to change and save it, the origin co-ordinates always end up reverting to what I had before.

Can someone please explain to me, in bullet points, how to set the world origin and save it to both the Route and Session? If that makes sense.

OK, so I should be in Edit Route, set the Origin location and save the Route. I'll try.

One of the puzzles I'm having is that the Origin location set in T:ANE is not conserved when the route is imported into TRS2019. Specifically, 0:00N, 0:00E in T:ANE spontaneously becomes 45:33N, 105.02E in TRS2019. Apart from my difficulty in changing it, I don't understand why it isn't conserved in the first place.

I note also that all my environment colour values set at white (RGB=255,255,255) in T:ANE spontaneously become shades of grey in TRS2019. Again, what the hell?

Last edited:
No, something isn't right here.

In TRS2019, in Edit Route mode, I changed the Origin from 40:33N, 105:02E to 0:00N, 0:00E. I could see the colour change happen as the Origin shifted to the new location. I then saved using "Overwrite existing route" and "Do not save session". Straight after it had done that, the Origin spontaneously shifted back to its initial settings.

Rather than saving at that point, I exited without saving (hoping that my initial save had written the 0:00N, 0:00E Origin to disk) but on re-loading the Route, the Origin was back to 40:33N, 105:02E.

Should I have done it some other way? Or is it just bugged?

Last edited:
I just changed the experimental route I've been working on from the default TRS19 World Origin to that of Wellington Railway Station.
To do this I entered the coordinates into the Environment Editing dialog during Route Edit mode.
After entering the new Southern Hemisphere values, I observed the change in season on the seasonal trees, etc. and the immediate change of light source/ shadow direction in the scene.
To save these values, you do need to save a default session (which you can later delete) with the saved route.
Other pre-existing sessions based on the route display the new World Origin coordinates automatically.

Last edited:
I just changed the experimental route I've been working on from the default TRS19 World Origin to that of Wellington Railway Station.
To do this I entered the coordinates into the Environment Editing dialog during Route Edit mode.
After entering the new Southern Hemisphere values, I observed the change in season on the seasonal trees, etc. and the immediate change of light source/ shadow direction in the scene.
To save these values, you do need to save a default session (which you can later delete) with the saved route.
Other pre-existing sessions based on the route display the new World Origin coordinates automatically.

Tried again, making sure to Save (not Save As..) the Route and Default session. Still didn't work. The route and two resulting Default sessions all had the Origin unchanged at 40:33N, 105:02E. I've figured out where the Origin coordinates are coming from. They are embedded in the particular Region asset that this route refers to. But why can't it be changed in Edit Route mode in TRS2019?

In T:ANE, the Edit Route method does successfully change or over-ride the Origin coordinates given to it by the Region asset. It's not happening like that, for me, in TRS2019.

Last edited:
Specifically, 0:00N, 0:00E in T:ANE spontaneously becomes 45:33N, 105.02E in TRS2019. Apart from my difficulty in changing it, I don't understand why it isn't conserved in the first place.
Is it possible that the location you are using is seen as 'null'; that is, no location has been selected? Therefore a default location is inserted for you.

Suggest head back to Edit Route mode and select Edit Environment.
Choose the location tab and click on the 'Go to World Origin'. If there is a marker there - edit it using the Edit World Origin dialog.
Otherwise, choose 'Add, Move World Origin...' Place it in a suitable location and then edit the coordinates.
Save the Route AND the Default session.
Exit and then revisit the World Origin in one of your sessions or the new default one.
Let us know how you fare. There has to be a way to sort this!

Last edited:
Is it possible that the location you are using is seen as 'null'; that is, no location has been selected? Therefore a default location is inserted for you.

See my edited post above where I inserted some new knowledge about where those co-ordinates were coming from - the Region asset.

0:00N, 0:00E - it's just a point on the equator and as valid as any other location, as proven by the fact that it's accepted in T:ANE.

Last edited:
Suggest head back to Edit Route mode and select Edit Environment.
Choose the location tab and click on the 'Go to World Origin'. If there is a marker there - edit it using the Edit World Origin dialog.
Otherwise, choose 'Add, Move World Origin...' Place it in a suitable location and then edit the coordinates.
Save the Route AND the Default session.
Exit and then revisit the World Origin in one of your sessions or the new default one.
Let us know how you fare. There has to be a way to sort this!

Tried that, and no, it did not work.

As I said above, it all works as you have described in T:ANE, but not (for me) in TRS2019.

Crikey! I'm doing all of my changes in TRS19. Haven't touched T:ANE for quite a while now...
Sorry it's not working for you.

Deane, sorry to stumble in here but did you try the WOP to save in a new route empty one and save with session or only your route,where it seems not to work.
i tried again on an empty route and put a lat long reader next to it to see the readings moved the origin around and it showed different values whilest moving and save route n session work here too.

Roy

Hi Roy

I tried the same changes in a new Route using the built-in "Australia" region asset. In Edit Route mode, I changed the Origin location to 0.00S, 0.00E. I closed the Environment dialog, then re-opened it. The origin was still at 0.00S, 0.00E. But then I Saved the route (and a Default session) and re-checked the Origin coordinates. Now they had returned to those specified in the Region asset.

In other words, the new route created in TRS2019 mis-behaved in the same way as my imported T:ANE route did in TRS2019.

Last edited:
Do me a favour and see if it will accept a value other than for the Equator. Say Sydney's Circular Quay Station at approx. 33.44S and 151.21E.
Don't think it likes to have zero values.

I was able to update another route that had the preset values. I first changed the Region to Australia and then the Lat Long for the route in Environment editor.
Saved to a default (throw-away) session.
Retained its changed coordinates for World Origin.

Last edited:
I have just conducted some test with the World Origin in TRS19 and as far as I can see it is working correctly.

Steps I used;

1. Created a brand new route
  2. Added a World Origin marker using the Environmental Tools - Location - Add/Move World Origin button and clicked on the spot where I wanted the world origin marker to go.
  3. Clicked Edit World Origin button and added coordinates - at 32deg 32.00min S, 138deg 13.80min E - a spot near Wilmington, South Australia
  4. Saved the Route and session
  5. Exited Trainz

Restarted Trainz and loaded the Route only (no session). Opened the Environment Tools and clicked the button Go to World Origin. The Surveyor POV moved straight to the marker. I clicked the button Edit World Origin and the coordinates I had previously entered reappeared. I exited Trainz.

Restarted TRainz and loaded the Session. Opened the Environment Tools and clicked the button Go to World Origin. The Surveyor POV moved straight to the marker. I clicked the button Edit World Origin and the coordinates I had previously entered reappeared. I exited Trainz.

I have repeated the steps in the above two paragraphs several times and the result is always the same.

Addendum:

I have conducted an additional test. I loaded the route into Surveyor and set the Region to (chosen at random) Switzerland. I saved the route and exited Trainz.

I repeated the steps I described in the two test paragraphs above by loading firstly the route and later the session. Each time I checked both the world origin (it was unchanged from my original entry) and the set region (unchanged from Switzerland in both cases).

Last edited:
Doesn't the only thing World Origin does: Is set what position & time the sun sets and rises, and possibly sets yearly seasons ?

And on a DEM that has a world origin of Altoona PA (USA) northern hemisphere, isn't it impossible to re-set the original Altoona PA (USA) DEM world origin, to be instead that of Melbourne Australia southern hemisphere ?

Last edited:
Almost correct. The World Origin is to set the seasons and the base altitude. The rising and setting of the sun is always fixed at 06:00 and 18:00 regardless of where you are located in the world.

Back