Saving the world origin position - how?

Don't think it likes to have zero values.

That seems to be the case.

After much testing, the only location it has problems with is when there are zeros in all parts of both Lat and Long, i.e. 0N/S, 0.00E/W.

So SailorDan was correct, but as I said before, it's not a problem in T:ANE, so I would still class this a bug in TRS2019.

Last edited:
Dean --

When I move the world in Surveyor I find that to make it "stick" I also have to move something else, for example, a structure like a tree. Just slightly.

Phil

Wouldn't that place your route off the Ivory Coast of Africa, in the middle of the ocean ?

The point at which the equator (0° latitude) and the prime meridian (0° longitude) intersect has no real significance but it is in the Gulf of Guinea in the Atlantic Ocean, about 380 miles (611 kilometers) south of Ghana and 670 miles (1078 km) west of Gabon

Then we would have AquaTrain, LOL

Doesn't like N 0 0.00 and E 0 0.00

Adding 0.01 minutes to either value works.

Also can't have any Latitude north or south of 75 and no Longitude of exactly 180 either. Mostly water or ice and snow in those areas anyway.

On a new route, my default region coordinates are N 52 27.00 and E 13 18.00

Last edited:
The "Null Island Railway"
nullislandmap.png

Where King Kong lived
NullIsland.jpg

Can you imagine living there ? Mosquitoes would be year round, and big as small birds, the heat and humidity would be absolutely stifeling, and each and every Atlantic hurricane, brewed from cold air crashing down from the Swiss Alps, sweeps across the hot arid African desert, and all Atlantic hurricanes originally form directly over Null Island

Last edited:
It looks like previous versions accepted bad coordinates and T19 doesn't.
0.00N / 0.00E is not a bad coordinate. It is a valid geographical position, as is 180.00E. In fact it is common for values somewhat greater than 180.00E or 180.00W to be also valid (but never anything greater than 90.00N or 90.00S) . I can personally vouch for 0.00N and 180.00E as existing, although not at the same time.

It seems that what's happening here is that the route loading code needs some way for determining if the route location has never been established, perhaps for older build numbers where it wasn't required, perhaps as protection against corrupted data, or perhaps because some other code fails at those values and preventing them was the simplest fix. Whatever the reason, it has been decided that 0.00N / 0.00E will be taken as meaning that no location exists, so a default location will be inserted.

Just like the old Y2K problem, when adding the date 31/12/1999 (or 12/31/1999) was treated by some programs as a "termination code" and by others as an impossible date.

Google Earth finds 0N, 0.00E easily enough, so it can't be that "bad" *.

The only reason I was using 0N/S, 0.00E/W was to quickly get the sun directly overhead at noon to check out the shadows. Of course I could have used any other longitude to achieve that, but that's not the point. There's no good (or at least obvious) reason why 0/0 should be invalid in TRS2019 when it wasn't in T:ANE and probably previous versions too. Not a big deal once you know about it, but look at all the head-scratching it caused.

* When I zoom into that location in Google Earth I find that it's on top of an underwater mountain with a pop-up label for "Hotel Singh Empire Dx". :eek:

Last edited:
Sorry if this is off topic but it will save me starting a short lived thread. When I open a session it always takes me to an aircraft on an airfield. Is there a way to set the start point to where I actually want to start ? I've tried searching for this but end up getting directed to irrelevant advice.

In the Session Editor, Driver Setup Rule, there is a check box labelled "Focus camera on first driver". Uncheck this. When you next start the Session it will start with the camera focused on the scene that last had the camera focus in Surveyor - this scene does not have to be a consist, it could be a building, tree, blade of grass, etc.

Details on the Trainz Wiki at https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Use_Driver_Setup_Rule

Many thanks, got it !

Back