Trainz 2019 Stutter

I finally made the plunge over the weekend. It didn't take me longer to realize I needed to upgrade my system. New system includes the following: Asrock Z390 Taichi motherboard, EVGA Geforce GTX 1070Ti, i7-9700K Intel processor, 16GB RAM, and a Noctua NH-U14S cpu cooler. Guess what? Game runs with all setting maxed out. Stutter is gone. My son was happy to build the system from scratch. The only thing I saved was my full tower Corsair case.

dickster - Lovely rig/ WinTel combo! Not surprised that the stutter is gone in TRS19 with everything maxed...
Great thing about upgrading to a newer mobo and socket-type, etc. is that you get to upgrade to DDR4 RAM at higher speeds as well.

Julian3Ce - High performance, affordable AM4 platforms can be built around the new 6 and 8-core Ryzen 2 CPUs right now. They offer superb value for money and, in some cases, performance approaching that of the excellent Intel i7 8700k.
But if you can wait another 3 months, you'll be able to get a Ryzen Gen 3 (Zen 2 7-nm architecture) processor, with its likely vastly improved IPC and access to PCIe 4 capacity.

Last edited:
I'm also getting stutter very bad at times
But I'm not driving I'm working in Surveyorworking on landscape the stutter starts as soon as
I begin to raise or lower terrain the closer I'mzoomed the worse it seems to get to the point where
you move the mouse and then wait for it to catchup.
It's only happening in areas where scenery ,buildings track - textures have been added or close to these areas
tried a area with nearly blank board and stutter stopped

I was having some minor stuttering from time to time. Not consistently the same on the same route.

This week I decided to turn off the Windows 10 indexing function. My problem stuttering problem seems to be greatly reduced, and eliminated in most routes.

Perhaps this solution will help others, especially those who have older processors. I don’t do Windows searches so turning off indexing didn’t affect me, plus as an added bonus it freed up some disk space once I deleted the indexing file.

I was having some minor stuttering from time to time. Not consistently the same on the same route.

This week I decided to turn off the Windows 10 indexing function. My problem stuttering problem seems to be greatly reduced, and eliminated in most routes.

Perhaps this solution will help others, especially those who have older processors. I don’t do Windows searches so turning off indexing didn’t affect me, plus as an added bonus it freed up some disk space once I deleted the indexing file.

Yup I rarely search for files either since I keep 99% of my stuff in specific places. Being organized right from the beginning helps. Since I keep my TRS19 and T:ANE data on separate hard disks, I disabled indexing on those hard disks ages ago. I learned that way back in the early days.

Actually, before it was suggested that I turn of the HUD entirely, I had already experimented with reducing its size, thinking that might help. (I'm not sure why I didn't just turn it off completely at the time. Duhhh.) For me, it made no difference whatsoever. The stutter was equally prevalent with both a large and (very) small HUD. The stutter didn't go away until (at the suggestion of the folks here in the forum) I fully shut off the HUD. However, as I said previously, the stuttering is not 100% gone ... at least not on all routes. But even on those routes that I can still see some stuttering, it's greatly reduced from what it was. The trouble is, I use the HUD a lot, so it's not the most convenient solution to do without it. Still, it has helped greatly.

not sure if your issue is sorted, but i had the same issue resolved here; https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...UTSIDE-the-Trainz-window!&highlight=jerkiness

I've a CPU i7 7700 with a geforce ASUS GTX ROG STRIX 2070 and 16GB RAM SO win7 ultimate. What amazes me is the abnorme use of CPU when installing items or, worst of all, when I'm running sessions. Most of the time the CPU usage flies up to over 60% and, sometimes, reaches also 75/80%. I think that's too much considering with T:ANE I never went near 40% and with all the features to ultra. Do you think it's something wrong with my machine or is TRS2019 who calls too much resourches?

I had same problem when in full screen mode
Went out of full screen stoped shuddering

I've noticed that too. It could be that the computer is working harder to draw all the content on the screen. I find working windowed, even maximized seems to work okay. Doing this has the advantage of being able to go out to Google Earth, or do other things on my system like check emails, while running Trainz. I've done this since TS12.

any idea when n3v is going to patch the game? i really don't want to subscribe. redoing the computer to use 2019 has already taxed my funds. i am retired and live on a fixed income and small pension.
ejb

any idea when n3v is going to patch the game? i really don't want to subscribe. redoing the computer to use 2019 has already taxed my funds. i am retired and live on a fixed income and small pension.
ejb

This may not have anything to do with the program and more of a driver issue with the video cards. I noticed that the latest NVidia drivers are horrible with this and the problem is worse now with the latest.

I was grabbing video (with BandiCam) of my BC&SJ route and noted that in several scenes I had stuttering / jerkiness like crazy.
Others seemed relatively smooth. However, I'm not sure how repeatable this is. It might be a result of exiting and restarting TRS19+ rather than a specific area.
Because I was shooting for a YouTube eye candy video the HUD was off. Build 106618.
Some of the scenes looked OK while I was shooting, but looking at them on the home theater they are too jerky for me to want to share them. Motion is pretty smooth except for a jerk every second or so. I guess I should recheck the raw capture files to see if they are "jerky".

System specs:
amd 2950x (no overclock)
64GB ram
evga rtx 2080ti
samsung 970evo m.2 drive for the partition where Trainz lives
alienware 3840x1440 monitor but 1920x824 window size for grabbing video
Windows 10 pro

Should I be experimenting with older nvidia drivers?

Are there any assets known to be outrageously piggy?

Sigh, fun and games always seem to abound.

HF

Last edited:
With stuttering in video, I have found the windows game recorderto be superior to Bandicam. Set TRS19 up as a game, then go in to the game bar and adjust settings for video capture, where to put it etc. At the bottom of the settings if you scroll down, you will find the switch to turn off the mouse cursor in video. For Trainz settings, I lower the shadows to medium and half shadow res.and run with draw behind turned off unless necessary. I do only have a 1660ti with 8gb ram and produce quite smooth video. I use cyberlink power director to edit and produce the video and generally at 60fps.
cheers
Graeme

Much improved!

I tried again today:
First I repeated the experiment and verified that moving around in Salem yard produced jerky video with jerks happening about once per second

Then I:

• Turned off streaming textures
  • Turned off physX
  • Set anti-alias from 4x to 8x
  • Turned shadow detail to medium
  • Turned off rendering of objects behind the camera
  • Told ESET internet security to ignore the Trainz 106618 database directories

The video got MUCH smoother.
I turned on rendering objects behind the camera and it was still smooth.

I think streaming textures was the biggest problem.
Not sure how much telling ESET to behave itself helped - I didn't have time to double check everything individually...

Amazingly I was getting 30 to 40 fps in Salem yard with hordes of freight cars on the tracks and vast number of structures around.

I didn't remember to check CPU and GPU usage numbers, but I remember seeing that at one point with Driver paused I was seeing gpu usage at 41% and cpu usage at I think 15% (but I don't think TRS19 makes good use of 16 cores...)

I jumped in to Flying camera mode and soared around the Salem area. Lower frame rates were around 25fps. Highest were over 50fps.

Maybe the RTX 2080ti wasn't a complete waste of $$$$?

I'll try to do some more testing tomorrow.

It seemed like a big improvement over what I was seeing before!

HF

I've recently upgraded from gtx 770 to rtx 2060 (the old card died).
Running TS19 at high settings (not ultra) is sufficient to cause the GPU fans to spool up, stabilising at 60-70C...
I'm getting frame rates >25fps, so it's a lot smoother than before.

TS19 & TANE both drive the GPU hard - it's better than previous versions which drove the CPU into meltdown (at least 1 pc needed a new CPU!).

Colin

Back