Trainz 2019 Stutter

I have used the MSI Afterburner 4.5.0 tool.

My system specifications:
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8core 4Ghz
GPU: AMD RX-580 8Gb
RAM: 16Gb

Results: Route: Niddertalbahn - TRS19 Scenario: SZ 91100 -Avmz INTERCITY 71
GPU Load Average = 83%
CPU Load Average = 47%
SPF Average = 51 fps

Screen Settings:
Full Screen = 1920 x 1080: 60Hz
Vert. Sync. = Full

In-cab (1 key) or external view (2 key): Stutter w / HUD. No stutter w / o HUD

NOTE: I think it would also be very interesting to know the results of some users who do NOT have stuttering problems.

regards

Last edited:
I'm with CrystalNoir on this one - think that the first tutorial would constitute a much better standardised test.

However, in the spirit of this Good Will Season, I set my performance and visual quality settings (shudder!) to the ones you suggested.
Normally I run TRS19 routes and sessions with everything maxed out on both rigs, with the following changes: I prefer Post Processing to be set to Low to avoid the distortions visible in the current presets for High and Ultra.
(I run all of my sessions at 15000m draw distance and usually with Manual PP settings to remove the distance blurs and horrendous ambient occlusion distortions on those higher presets).
8x Anti-aliasing. Texture streaming Unticked as is Use PhysX simulation.

Back to the tests:
I measured the CPU results with Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and the GPU ones with the Asus ROG Strix GPU Tweak II utility.
I have 2 rigs, but tested with my lowest performing one, which is powered by my trusty i7-4790K @ 4.2 to 4.6Ghz and an Asus Strix GTX-1070 OC 8gb graphics card.
16Gb RAM, 850 EVO SSD.
Dual Asus 28" monitors 1920 by 1080 @60Hz VSync Off

Max GPU clock during the run was 2038 MHz and 'recent average' recorded at 2025 MHz.
GPU use (%) ranged from 35 to 85% with an average of 55%
Fans did not come on 'cos temps stayed below 55 degrees C.

On the CPU side, the game ran at an average core frequency of 4.26GHz
CPU temps ranged from 44 to 55 degrees C.
CPU utilisation ranged from 20% up to 90% and typically between 35 and 55% during the run, with a 'recent average' of 21%

No stutter with or without the HUD (difficult to gain maximum points without it!) though I managed to end up with a 'Perfect Run' anyway.
(Really dislike the 2D grasses with their star-shaped patterns in this route and much prefer the new TurfFx and Clutter effects.)

It was a relief to switch the machine back to its usual defaults after running this test.

Thanks for sticking with this issue and for sending in a report to QA. :)
I hope they will give the matter some serious attention.

Last edited:
OK however I do not have any stutter on these or my normal much higher settings.
Extra info included that might actually be relevant.

CPU: i7 6700K 4Ghz
GPU: Nvidia 1080TI
RAM: 16Gb DDR4
Motherboard Asus Z170P up to date bios.
TRS19 + Userdata installed on a Crucial CT525 MX300S 500GB SSD
OS on a Kingston 240GB SSD
PSU EVGA 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold

Results: Route: Niddertalbahn - TRS19 Scenario: SZ 91100 -Avmz INTERCITY 71
GPU Load Average = 80%
GPU Temp = 68°C
CPU Load Average = 66%
GPU Temp = 60°C
SPF Average = 95 FPS

Screen Settings:
Full Screen = 1920 x 1080: 60Hz
Vert. Sync. = Full

No Stutter and no difference in Frame rates Hud on or Off, In cab or out.

How to operate without the HUD.

I too just entered a bug report. At least there seems to be a workaround at the moment (disabling the HUD), but I agree that it probably should be looked at by N3V. I find it interesting that the bug report form doesn't really provide the means to list your system specs, which I'm suspecting may be pertinent to this particular issue whereas not everyone is experiencing the problem. (I included my specs in the "Expect" section.) Regardless, thanks again everyone!

My Sessions went from jerky to smooth without displaying the HUD but what good is that if you need to see the controls and what is coming up? How do you operate a train without the HUD using a mouse. Even if i use the onboard controls with with the mouse, i see no information.

My Sessions went from jerky to smooth without displaying the HUD but what good is that if you need to see the controls and what is coming up? How do you operate a train without the HUD using a mouse. Even if i use the onboard controls with with the mouse, i see no information.

Has anyone tried to see if running two sticks of RAM instead of four helps? Dual channel systems is what I am referring to. I am not sure if quad channel systems will have a difference.

Same problem here. Good FPS but lot of stuttering that makes no joy to play. Removing the HUD doesn't help. thought could be the streaming textures options, but no difference.
Thinking about forgetting the sim, because it is not a joy to use it right as it is.

Edit: More information. If I put the standard shaders and new grass assets then removing the HUD I have a better smooth experience. With HUD I have stutters even having 100fps sometimes.
With shaders full and grass, I have stutters with and without HUD, even having 50fps.
I have a 980ti and tried different nvidia drivers.
But the HUD stuff need to be fixed by devs.

Last edited:
Same problem here. Good FPS but lot of stuttering that makes no joy to play. Removing the HUD doesn't help. thought could be the streaming textures options, but no difference.
Thinking about forgetting the sim, because it is not a joy to use it right as it is.

Edit: More information. If I put the standard shaders and new grass assets then removing the HUD I have a better smooth experience. With HUD I have stutters even having 100fps sometimes.
With shaders full and grass, I have stutters with and without HUD, even having 50fps.
I have a 980ti and tried different nvidia drivers.
But the HUD stuff need to be fixed by devs.

I have a 980Ti in my Alienware laptop, and found I needed to reduce the size of the hud graphics as well as lower the post processing from the ultra to high settings. Try scaling down the HUD and adjusting the PP settings and see if that helps. Turn off the texture streaming anyway as that does not help and can impact performance. From what I've read elsewhere that option is for much lower end hardware.

Last edited:
Trainz 2019 Stutters like my old cold Chevy.

I thought I would chime in.

I am having the stuttering problem, as well. Sound and video. The sound is really bad.

Switching sound devices made no difference.

I set everything to minimum, not much help.

I did find that changing to easy mode, made for some improvement.

The suggestion of turning off the HUD made the best improvement.

The HUD is really needed, BTW.

-Julian

My system:
UserBenchmarks: Game 108%, Desk 69%, Work 57%
MBD: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K - 69.2%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 C10 4x8GB - 48.9%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 - 142%
....I also upgraded to a 4K monitor
SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB - 48.5%
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB - 360.5%

I thought I would chime in.

I am having the stuttering problem, as well. Sound and video. The sound is really bad.

Switching sound devices made no difference.

I set everything to minimum, not much help.

I did find that changing to easy mode, made for some improvement.

The suggestion of turning off the HUD made the best improvement.

The HUD is really needed, BTW.

-Julian

My system:
UserBenchmarks: Game 108%, Desk 69%, Work 57%
MBD: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K - 69.2%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 C10 4x8GB - 48.9%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 - 142%
....I also upgraded to a 4K monitor
SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB - 48.5%
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB - 360.5%

If you have G-sync enabled, disable it and see if that helps.

That i7-3770K - 69.2%, could possibly be causing some bottlenecking, think the 2070 and 2080 cards really need a 7th or 8th generation intel.

Yes - 'fraid the good 'ol i7-3770k is almost certainly bottlenecking the RTX 2070 @ full 4k resolution.
Try setting the monitor back to a lower resolution like 1440p to see if that makes any difference.
That said, you should be able to run TRS19 with most settings on Ultra (@1440p) with that card, even with that trusty old CPU.
Try overclocking the CPU using the 'Intel Extreme Tuning Utility'. See if you can run your RAM at higher clocks... That might help as long as your cooling system is up to it.

Last edited:
Just so you guys know we're looking into this. I'll let you know once we've found the cause and got a solution to fix it.

Try setting the monitor back to a lower resolution like 1440p to see if that makes any difference.
I set it down to 1024p, any lower I'll start having Apple ][ flashbacks.

Try overclocking the CPU using the 'Intel Extreme Tuning Utility'.
Not compatible with my CPU. Gigabyte has a utility, but it locked up my PC.

Just so you guys know we're looking into this. I'll let you know once we've found the cause and got a solution to fix it.

Awesome! Thank you.

-Julian

Tony_Hilliam
Just so you guys know we're looking into this. I'll let you know once we've found the cause and got a solution to fix it.​

I'm sure the development team will find a solution.

Thank you.

-Vicens

Just a reminder that you can reduce the size of the hud, as well as limit what aspects it shows, does that make any difference to those affected?

How do you reduce the size? I know how to adjust the aspects it shows but cannot find how to reduce the size.

Yes - 'fraid the good 'ol i7-3770k is almost certainly bottlenecking the RTX 2070 @ full 4k resolution.

Any suggestions on an upgrade? The i7-3770k is the fastest processor for my motherboard. So I'm looking for a processor, motherboard, and RAM, at least. I'm also looking at the AMD processor. I would like to keep it under $1000.

-Julian

Back