Are all switches spring switches? ie: No derailment...

1611mac

- - . -
I have to ask...
Are all switches (turnouts) spring switches? ie: There is no de-railment when rolling over a switch set in the "other" direction. I don't recall ever de-railing from an improperly set switch.

I do recall that there used to be a problem in an earlier Trainz version with switches resetting themselves while a train was passing over them, but I have never experienced a derailment caused by an improperly set switch.

I have to ask...
Are all switches (turnouts) spring switches? ie: There is no de-railment when rolling over a switch set in the "other" direction. I don't recall ever de-railing from an improperly set switch.

I tried with with TANE using DMT Pro Track, and the standard built in switch, then tried setting the QuickDrive Derailment to each of the settings, None, Arcade, and Realistic. Also tried each control mode, easy and realistic driving modes as well. Every time I came to the junction/switch, and it was Red for my path, the Loco (SD40) 'hopped' over the switch, and then the cars being pulled, derailed. The loco kept driving on leaving the derailed cars. The QuickDrive setting had no effect, so that must be for something else.

It would be interesting to know if the logic for that is built into each type of switch? or built into the physics of the game.

QuickDrive Derailment Mode.jpg

Also, here is a link to what pware was talking about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHH1zl0kN8Q.

Last edited:
I'm no expert but unless switches are spring switches this should cause a derailment and in game is doesn't:

(Engine is traveling towards switch - switch is set for the turnout)

switch.jpg

And surely main lines don't use spring switches??? - Yes, I realize this is a sim and not reality :)

Last edited:
I'm no expert but unless switches are spring switches this should cause a derailment and in game is doesn't:

(Engine is traveling towards switch - switch is set for the turnout)

And surely main lines don't use spring switches???

Put some rail cars on that loco and try again. Then post back.

Highly confused.... Put a consist on sure enough... it derailed. I'm astonished. I've been running routes since Oct. Built in routes, Phils Model Railroad routes, two TANE/TS19 routes (Fall Harvest and Midwestern Branch), and I have never had a derail due to a switch setting. Now I get one! I have noticed the "problem" as I was amazed that I could traverse wrongly set switches with no consequences. So I'm highly confused why I just got a derail. Seriously - Honestly. I've had no derails since beginning in Oct -Well, I have ran past end of track barriers and off of barges :)

I'll continue to run routes and report back again. If I can "run a switch" I'll screen record it....

Check the physics settings in the Quickdrive rule - there is a "realistic mode" which should also make a difference (if not it's a bug).

Just had two different consists on main line run a red signal (due to switch setting) and pass over a switch set to the siding. The back of the cars "jerked" when passing over the switch but there was no derail, at slow or fast speed. (See video link below.) I had made another consist which did derail. So all this seems very random. I'm going to try some yard switches.

Watch how the back of the cars jump sideways when passing over the switch.

Video: https://vimeo.com/308497032

Now in the yard I'm not getting sideways jumps, I'm getting derails. (Kickstarter Co 2) Perhaps it depends on the type of switch....

Watch how the back of the cars jump sideways when passing over the switch.
This is because the animation code needs to move the traincar with a jump from one track to another because the path is discontinuous in the middle of the junction. It is not associated with the vehicle physics.

Now in the yard I'm not getting sideways jumps, I'm getting derails. (Kickstarter Co 2) Perhaps it depends on the type of switch....

I just set up a test route in TRS19 consisting of a simple one track loop with a few sidings coming off it and a yard with multiple tracks. Using both Arcade mode and Realistic mode for the derailment feature, I was unable to get any derailments using incorrectly set switches in the yard or on the loop.

I very much doubt that it depends on the switch because the differences between the switches is purely visual. As far as I know they all operate the same way.

I would suggest that it might depend on other factors such as the speed of the train (although I have seen the "jumping" at both high and low speeds) and the angle of the junction.

I just set up a test route in TRS19 consisting of a simple one track loop with a few sidings coming off it and a yard with multiple tracks. Using both Arcade mode and Realistic mode for the derailment feature, I was unable to get any derailments using incorrectly set switches in the yard or on the loop.

I very much doubt that it depends on the switch because the differences between the switches is purely visual. As far as I know they all operate the same way.

I would suggest that it might depend on other factors such as the speed of the train (although I have seen the "jumping" at both high and low speeds) and the angle of the junction.

Have you tried both directions?

I have had situations where the train will bump over the switches that are set incorrectly in one direction, but will jump in the other as if the wheels pick the switch points.

I just tested it again using a trigger, the trigger check rules and the set junction rule to switch a set of facing points to the other direction when the consist is already crossing the points so it should, theoretically, derail. But since a consist will always lock the points when it approaches them the set junction rule could not throw the switch.

In real life if you trail through points (switches) or run through whether power or manual the weight of a locomotive should easily spring the blades.

Normally damage will be done to the crank system either bending, buckling or shearing the retaining bolts, some points are designed to spring back it just depends on the design.

I have seen plenty of woops moments and never seen a locomotive derail, the only trap is if you stop half across an then decide to change direction.

Back