Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dark borders on non-PBR textures

United States of America, California, Downey

Default Dark borders on non-PBR textures

I've searched the TRS19 thread and couldn't find any mention of this behavior. When I place non-PBR texture in TRS19, half of the texture has dark borders. As you can see from the attached screenshot, there are no other textures nearby to interact with. Is this just a consequence of using non-PBR textures or is it something that can be fixed? Thanks in advance for any information.

Hank

Blog Entries

I am not seeing that at all. I have tried several similar looking non-PBR textures at different scale settings and I cannot see any dark borders and I certainly cannot see the same straight edges as shown in your screenshot.

Are you seeing this issue on all non-PBR textures? What is the kuid of the texture shown in your screenshot?
    A member of the "Party Machine". Now if only I could remember where they are holding the party!

Very strange, it looks like the ground level has dropped under the texture?
    Graham, EM Modelz

United States of America, Fla., Spring Hill

Its probably just a shadow from the sun, is the only thang I can thank of.

Blog Entries

... or that the "texture" is floating above the surface. To me it looks more like an object, such as a surface, with some opacity than a texture.
    A member of the "Party Machine". Now if only I could remember where they are holding the party!

I've just checked a route that I imported from TANE.

Some non pbr textures change their opacity when rotating your point of view!

The texture above is di-0 A15

The bare grid is where a texture was not inmported because it is 'unknown', but TANE knows it !
    Last edited by euromodeller; December 27th, 2018 at 04:32 PM.
    Graham, EM Modelz

Ambient occlusion is also evident in the first image pepperref supplied above - an artifact inclusion of the new 'High' or 'Ultra' Post Processing settings applied by TRS19. (Note the faint grey haze 'halo' above and around the texture, but not below it).
    There have been many changes to PP mandated by N3V in order to give more life to parallax and PBR texture rendering in routes.
    Shadows and lighting direction would account for the darker borders.
    Intrigued by that first image as pware is - seems like a mask has been applied to achieve the straight edges. (Would like to be able to achieve this with some of my own texture painting!)

I noticed that the non-PBR texture actually lowers the ground below it, resulting in a vertical gap. When the ground is raised, the texture moves up with it to maintain the height gap. I placed a PBR texture next to it that clearly shows the non-PBR floating over the PBR texture. It happens with at least half a dozen non-PBR textures I tried. The first texture was Soil Sand 2. The texture used in screenshot is Meadow - Soil & Grass and FX PBR Dirt 01. Wondering why no one else sees this.

First thing to note is that the Grid itself is a PBR texture these days and N3V cautions that there will be a Z-height difference when attempting to blend new PBR objects with non PBR textures.
    Last edited by PC_Ace; December 27th, 2018 at 08:59 PM. Reason: spelling!

Maybe the type of Non PBR texture used maxes a difference? (I am no expert)
    (note I am using the alternative lighter coloured PBR grid)

In my shot below are two textures.
    One is a normal texture with bump mapping and one is a PBR texture they seem to blend wonderfully on my first TRS19 route.
    Can you tell which is which ?

I have narrowed my future texture usage down to those made by rudefx, they all start their names with FX ....

Graham, EM Modelz

Just to clarify, as you can see from my original post, there is no attempt to blend textures. When I place a non-PBR texture in TRS19, it gets raised with dark sharp edges on two sides.

If this is the way of the future, it makes many quality textures unusable. I must say this is disappointing as many of the textures I used in the past have no PBR equivalents.

I also noticed it on the Niddertalbahn TRS19. Some of the fields near the track have the same dark borders.

Quote Originally Posted by pepperref View Post
    I noticed that the non-PBR texture actually lowers the ground below it, resulting in a vertical gap. When the ground is raised, the texture moves up with it to maintain the height gap. I placed a PBR texture next to it that clearly shows the non-PBR floating over the PBR texture. It happens with at least half a dozen non-PBR textures I tried. The first texture was Soil Sand 2. The texture used in screenshot is Meadow - Soil & Grass and FX PBR Dirt 01. Wondering why no one else sees this.

I just tested those textures on a baseboard and had no problem. No tricks or special blending methods, just straight dabs of texture.

In my routes I change the base dark PBR grid to the lighter PBR grid (2.0) and have the board set to 5m and not 10m, maybe try that out and see if it makes a diference.
    If not then you could report it to N3V.

Graham, EM Modelz

Fascinating observation, euromodeller.
    Going to experiment with Grid 2.0 to see whether I can mix both types of grid on the same (large) route to allow accommodation of better texture blending in places where PBR and non-PBR textures meet.
    Will see if I can use the bulk asset replacement tool to change one or two areas of grid to the 2nd type.

Thanks for the idea euromodeller. I tried your suggestion, but sadly, it did not work. I laid down the Grid 2.0 texture, then laid down a section of the standard Grid texture for reference. I laid down FX PBR Dirt 01. Then laid down non-PBR Soil Sand 2. I still get the dark sharp edges and the ground below the non-PBR texture has been lowered.

That's really odd.

I am using my spare PC to test TRS19, it's got a lowly i3 3240 CPU and a GTX 1050 Ti 4gb GPU and 16gb of RAM.
    I thought that I might be the one suffering rendering problems but, TRS19 is really kind to my setup.

What setup do you have?

Some of the routes I have brought from TANE to TRS19 have faulty textures now, but nothing like what you have shown me, the faulty ones for me change visibly when I rotate the point of view.
    I've cleared every bit of old texture off my routes and am repainting with FX, and decent PBR textures (there are some awfull ones).
    So far so good.

I think you need to send a bug report in to N3V.

Here's a shot with mixed textures, the rippled sand underwater is non PBR, the rest are, no problems occur.

Last edited by euromodeller; January 1st, 2019 at 01:24 PM. Reason: I saw your pics in the Portal.
    Graham, EM Modelz