Moving Content - Some Assistance Please?

pitmilly

Season’s Greetings to all and - may I enter a plea for a little assistance?

Am running Window 10 and SP3 Build 94916 and as per directions contained in Trainz Wiki - HELP: Moving Content, have just copied some 44GB of SP3 Content from my 240GB SSD C Drive to my 2TB HDD D Drive.

My first attempt was clearly missing a vital step as although everything looked OK, my user name/password weren’t showing in the launcher and Auran weren’t letting me in. Second attempt was successful – Local Data Folder in Trainz Settings was showing the new D Drive Folder; Username/Password were OK - all my pay-ware sessions plus my adaptations of Coal Country and two new routes (work in progress) loaded correctly and appear to be complete and fully operational. Success!!!!!!

Page 3, paragraph 2, bullet point 5 of the Wiki HELP paper, lists among the benefits of this process:-

• Creates a backup of the “old” Content Folder and optionally, archive/delete the old folder to free up space.

My motive for copying these files across from C to D was essentially to free up some space on my 240GB SSD C Drive. It’s currently down to its last 34GB.

However, the following paragraph of the HELP paper contains a WARNING: - DO NOT EVER delete the C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Local\N3VGames\TANE folder, OR the userdata-redirect-map.txt file in that folder.

For the record, the original C Drive TANE folder contained 2 files:

1. build ufs115n41
  2. userdata-redirect-map.txt

File No 1 contained the following 12 files: backups/cache/editing/Libraries/Local/original/packages/screenshots/asset-cache.tdx/assets.tdx/crashdump.dmp/Keystone.tdx

It is these 12 files that are now sitting in the newly created TANE SP3 Content Folder in D Drive.

Am I correct in thinking that when I’m confident that there has been no shortfall from this transfer from C to D, I can leave the complete folder address and the txt file (File No 2) in place in the C Drive but that I can then delete File No 1 (build ufs115n41) and its 12 sub-files from C Drive thus meeting the original objective and freeing up some 40 plus GB on the SSD?

On the basis that it’s the work of a split second to hit the delete key but that hours of anguish can follow if you get it wrong, the help from those for whom my question I’m sure is a matter of simple A,B,C, will be much appreciated.

Regards

John Webster

If your build is now running smoothly on the new disk and the 'Local Data Folder' is pointing to the new location, then you can indeed safely delete 'File No 1', or 'build ufs115n41' from your N3V Games/TANE folder on C:\Users. It is spurious.
Do NOT delete the Userdata-redirect-map.txt file however, which is created by the program whenever you set the path to your local data folder on the Install tab of Trainz Settings in the T:ANE Launcher.

Last edited:
PC_Ace,

Many thanks for your assistance in this, it's much appreciated.

I've not yet come to any decision about upgrading to 2019, but assuming that this transfer from C to D Drive panned out, my thinking was that given that I have a 2TB D Drive with something like 1.65 currently free, I could create a separate 2019 Content folder on D and still leave my SSD with some substantial spare capacity.

I've also got to get to grips with regular backups - probably to remote drive.

Again, thank you for your help.

Regards

John Webster

pitmilly - Good stuff! TRS19 is absolutely superb - it is everything we were promised by the Kickstarter promos for T:ANE and then some...
I still keep a beta version of T:ANE on my machine for testing purposes, but will likely never go back now that TRS19 is fully delivered.
Each of my installations is on a separate SSD drive, with their Userdata folders residing on the same disk. All of my backups (Several complete backup installations in my case) are stored on multi-terabyte HDDs and on my External 2Tb backup drive.
It is possible to split the program files and Userdata folders over different logical drives for any given T:ANE or TRS19 installation, though I don't bother, preferring to keep each install together with its local data files in the same Drive/Directory - as I've suggested in a related thread here...
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?150351-back-up-main-folders

Last edited:
Back