Importing a TS12-built model Trainz into TANE.

JonMyrlennBailey

There might be some things that need to be done to prep it.

I would first prep the route in TS12 for import first.

1. When the route and its associated content comes into TANE, many assets may show as faulty. TANE CM/DLS can replace some but maybe not others. The DLS may not have a non-faulty equivalent replacement. In TS12, delete all the faulty non-TANE-compatible/non-TANE-CM-replaceable/non-importable content from the entire route. I had a bunch of road vehicle scenery content, some trees and some rolling stock that was listed as faulty in TANE for which the TANE DLS could not find a non-faulty equivalent. This is easy to do with Replace Assets in Surveyor. I had a bunch of static cars and trucks that would not translate into TANE. Dinorius's cement mixer truck, for example. I replaced them all with various markers as a McDonalds flag or my favorite, the searchlight. When the route comes into TANE, the searchlight will clearly mark the spots for all the scenery vehicles and trees that were replaced with this light and then I can use TANE Surveyor to put a TANE car, tree or truck in place of a searchlight. You can not use Replace Assets for spline material as roads or for trains so each one of these that can't be imported in to TANE will have to be replaced or deleted in TDS12 by hand first. I use a flag scenery object (American, state, country, restaurant, etc.) to mark the on-rails stuff that had to be deleted before import as Amtrak baggage cars, for example. The searchlight and most flags can be downloaded into TANE.
My modified YARN road with no traffic made in TS12 would not translate into TANE fault-free so I had to replace this piece by piece, spline point by spline, in TS12 by hand with the unmodified YARN road that both TANE and TS12 recognises. Often, locally-modified assets in TS12 are troublesome when they try to come into TANE.

2. When model routes are made, often it is done with benchwork whereby the ground, train room floor area, is lowered well below the default 0.00 meter train board level along the edges of the table. Digholes are inserted to make invisible the ground that protrudes upward toward the edges of the table. If the ground depression is too close to to benchwork edges, surface content may sink deep below ground level when imported to and opened in TANE. This is a weird unexplained phenomenon. Stuff along the bench edges like telephone poles, roads, trees, house, static scenery, etc. may be discovered underground when opening up TANE and viewing the route. Make sure the ground is at table level, at a distance of about 4 to 5 grid squares, outside the edges of the table to prevent content collapse (sinkhole phenomenon) when imported into TANE. Use digholes to hide this extended ground. It is easier to do this in TS12 before exporting.

The searchlight is a super invaluable tool compatible with both TS12 and TANE for marking the spots on-map content that has to be deleted for import into a different edition of Trainz. It is a great marker for spots on routes. It can be seen for miles over a route easily. This is another classic case of using scenery content as a TOOL for route editing.

Lamp Searchlight,<kuid2:60349:25317:2> by cab.

Last edited:
Back