Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: First Impressions

"Cartoonish" doesn't really give us sufficient information to either make any changes or explain what options are available to change things. Are you talking about colour? Shadows? Something else?

Perhaps point out the differences on specific assets, with a comment like "the one on the left is brighter/lighter/washed out/something else".
    Tony Hilliam

Got questions about TRS19? Click here for TRS19 FAQs

Looking for answers to in-game functionality? Click here for help

United States of America, Delaware, Dover

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Hilliam View Post
    "Cartoonish" doesn't really give us sufficient information to either make any changes or explain what options are available to change things. Are you talking about colour? Shadows? Something else?

Perhaps point out the differences on specific assets, with a comment like "the one on the left is brighter/lighter/washed out/something else".
    The game looks like a CGI cartoon.

Nothing there looks real except the locomotive.

Even 11 year old Railworks looks better.

Harold
    Last edited by hminky; December 28th, 2018 at 01:00 AM.

Blog Entries

Two differences I quickly noticed:

• Look at the ballast under the track in both screenshots. Which looks more realistic?
    • Look at the track sleepers (ties). Which looks more 3D?
    A member of the "Party Machine". Now if only I could remember where they are holding the party!

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by pware View Post
    Two differences I quickly noticed:

• Look at the ballast under the track in both screenshots. Which looks more realistic?
    • Look at the track sleepers (ties). Which looks more 3D?
    The track in the RW image looks like a TS2009/TS2010 asset.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019: 98592

United States of America, Delaware, Dover

How bout this one.

If all you can talk about is the old 2007 track then you ain't got much game.

Harold

Blog Entries

Harold, you would need to set up the same scene in both simulators to be able to give a fair and accurate comparison. I have never owned Railworks and know almost nothing about it and the visual quality of its assets. I know even less about US locos and rolling stock so I could not comment on them. Therefore the track, rocks and vegetation are all that I can compare and even then the vegetation samples shown are not the same species.
    A member of the "Party Machine". Now if only I could remember where they are holding the party!

With regard to ballast, in fairness none of the sims really does this effectively with the random look of the prototype! Whether it's MSTS, RW/TS or Trainz the one constant is that uniform "berm" on which the track is laid, on top of the billiard table terrain. Take a look at any cab ride video on YouTube and you will see how the appearance constantly changes, brown into dark grey or clean limestone and back again, an oil stain here, bit of foliage growing through there. Very hard to get that into the sim, certainly while we are laying track as a specific object. When DTG release their editor for Train Sim World it will be interesting to see how the UE4 based process handles and if it is possible to achieve a more integrated look.

There is no doubt in my mind that RW/TS has a better overall visual appeal than Trainz, even 19. Try their Kings Cross to Peterborough route and compare that with the same section of the ECML in TRS2019, even if you can get the environment tweaked right. The problem there specifically is the ongoing insistence of using 10yo (or more) assets and textures rather than using something specifically created for the latest version. Same goes for the cabs and sound issue - there are talented creators out there as can be seen by the work being done for RW/TS, TSW, Zusi 3 - even legacy MSTS and Open Rails. it just seems none of them want to turn that talent to Trainz. N3V should perhaps be asking themselves, "Why?", then maybe we could move forward from stuff aliased to the ancient Red Hen cab or 2001 Alco sounds.
    TRS 2019 Coach Class (Former Customer)

I was a total Luddite over the Early Access version of TS2019 and after a slightly rocky start with the final release version which I think was most probably due to the game engine still working at sorting all the new downloaded files and the 'lazy dust' getting knocked out of my graphics card I have to say I'm delighted. I find myself think about moving my own routes over from TS2012 and notably I'm not running TS2012 anything like as much as I was. Since my past attitude was that nothing was going to pry me away from TS2012 ever this is pretty darn amazing.

And what a difference. This is a screenshot taken in my 'Cairnrigg to Balessie' route which I moved across from TS2012 with almost no problems at all. All the misty cloud and muted light settings I set up in TS2012 transferred over just fine and in TS2019 they look even better than they did before. The locomotive is a very old Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway saddle tank dating from the late TS2004 era and it's perfectly fine in TS2019 and is looking better now than it has ever done in any other Trainz version. All my own UK pre-grouping goods wagon models work just fine in TS2019 too.
    I didn't think it was possible to get rid of the nuclear blast flash lighting effects in TS2019, but as you can see from the screenshot it can be done and very convincingly too.

Narcolepsy is not napping.

HP XW8400 Xeon, Dual E5320 quad core CPUs, 16GB RAM, 1Tb SAS Hard drive, Nvidia GTX 960, Win 7.

Haven't done a lot since last post except moving the Pick List and doing comparisons on track and textures to upgrade
    But have noticed quite a few of the Loco's and Rolling Stock which I thought looked good in Tane now look like cardboard cutouts in TRS2019
    The detail and colors are not up there with what TRS2019 have to offer.

As far as the " cartoonish look " I can't see that and never have,unless Thomas and Friends are being used

I see it more as a great big " Remote Control Model Train Layout " regardless of the version.
    You make it what you want it to be. Run it how you want to and be able to change just about anything you want.
    It has realism in the way it's built and the models used to simulate real life
    But it will never be real, your imagination while Building Routes or Driving along them is what you have to rely on to make it seem real.

'
    CFI A1120 Pharaoh Evo
    Intel Core I7 8700k
    Win10 64bit
    ASRock Fatility Z370 Gaming K6
    Nvidia GTX 1080ti 32gb 3200

Thailand, Phu Pan Nat'l park proud neighbor
    Blog Entries

@Kotangagirl, i am very happy seeing the result you achieved and your posts are a pleasure to read!
    Besides 2 of the 3 known 'trolls' feel they have to do their posts (and show their attitude) every year, the rest of the trainz community moves on with a big big smile into a bright and promising future.

I think all things considered n3v and the community has done a marvelous job!!!!

Happy holidays and happy and healthy new year from Ning and me.
    The makers of the famous Canadian Rocky Mountains routes
    Master my all new Canadian Rocky Mountains routes on TRS19

Thanks Roy, - like I said I had a rocky start, - but now everything is fine. I think it was a tough call for N3V to take the risk with TS2019 especially since there were a lot of problems with the Early Access version, but they seem to have got there with the official release version and I think things will only get better from now on.

All the very best from me to you and yours for the New Year Roy.
    Narcolepsy is not napping.

HP XW8400 Xeon, Dual E5320 quad core CPUs, 16GB RAM, 1Tb SAS Hard drive, Nvidia GTX 960, Win 7.

Blog Entries

When we achieve 4K video quality (or whatever replaces 4K in the near future) in all assets (textures included) then we will have total realism, but until then everything in Trainz, RW, Open Rails, etc, will be "cartoonish" compared to reality.

As to which "cartoonish" train sim is better, I really don't care. I have TANE and TRS19, I don't have RW or any of the other sims and I have no interest in getting them. I spend most of my time in Surveyor and, from what I have read, Trainz Surveyor (whatever Trainz version) is streets ahead of the others. So as far as I am concerned, case closed.

The controls are there and available to all who have the wits to use them. Finally, we have a rail-sim that gives us much greater control over lighting, shadows and environmental effects than ever before.
    Don't like 'cartoonish' rendering? Then simply master the controls and change the assets until the cartoon characters go away!

Quote Originally Posted by PC_Ace View Post
    The controls are there and available to all who have the wits to use them. Finally, we have a rail-sim that gives us much greater control over lighting, shadows and environmental effects than ever before.
    Don't like 'cartoonish' rendering? Then simply master the controls and change the assets until the cartoon characters go away!
    Sentiments like that must be of great comfort to newcomers to the programme or those who have tried without success to optimise the settings to remove the gloss like appearance over everything, not to mention bordering on a CoC violation insulting probably quite a large portion of N3V's customer base...
    TRS 2019 Coach Class (Former Customer)

How is it that people always say that the previous version was better. 2012 is better than TANE, TANE is better than TRS19. So I guess for people to like TRS19 we will need Trainz 2020. It is almost comical. At least I get a smile out of it all. Funny part is, the same is said about other sims as well. You can find faults in every sim out there, if that is what you are looking for. They are computer games, not real life. Just pixels on a 2d monitor screen. I have not put any time in 2012, bought it cause it was like $5, just to see it. Can't compare to TANE. I have 4,000 hours in TANE. Building and driving. Now I do not even want to open it up except to grab something I liked. All the routes from TANE on the DLS that I use are now in TRS19. They look way better after changing the environment. I gave TRS19 a 9.5 out 10 a while back and still stand on that opinion. My only problem is what I stated previously about routes under 4.3 wanting to resave the route with my KUID making it impossible to write sessions for uploading.
    TRS19 104479 - T:ANE 94812
    i7 6700K @ 4.0 ghrtz, nVidia 970
    I don't have a PhD, I have a DD214 - Freedom carries sacrifice