What is it doing? Downloading TS2019.

KotangaGirl

Pre-Grouping Railways Nut
It's getting close to 24 hours now with all four cores of my computer working, the download steadily coming in (not particularly quickly) and my hard drive constantly laying down data. I can see what's going on in the Win 7 resource manager, but I'm starting to wonder just how long is this going to take.
I started out with the early access version of TS2019, wasn't happy with it and decided to wait for the completed and hopefully repaired version to come out, so I cut off my gold subscription. After Tony's announcement on the forum on Friday I renewed my gold subscription and on Saturday I started up TS2019 again and clicked 'Download All' on the black menu box that appeared; - and here we are with my computer still churning through getting TS2019 setup.

If you skipped a few versions, you're most likely getting the full shebang update. The full download from your My Trainz account, for the standalone installer, is 12 GB. This is a good size hunk of program data and a lot depends upon the server and the network.

I'm not sure if you remember the original T:ANE install. That took forever to download and forever and then some to install with the setup program sitting there for an hour sometimes before anything happened. My recommendation is to do something else while the data downloads this way you don't touch anything in error or angst while impatiently waiting for the data to install.

I'm not sure exactly what it is you are downloading. Is it just the updated DLC files or the entire TRS19 program plus the DLC. If it is the latter then that will be quite a few GBs of data and on my slooooow ADSL2+ link 24hrs would not be beyond the possibilities. But even the DLC updates (for the few DLC purchases I have made) took several hours.

Obviously, I can't know what your download is doing, but for comparison I can tell you how my download went yesterday. I purchased the non-subscription version and the download was 12.5 Gb in size. It took 2.5 hours to complete the download, which I think gives a rate of 1.4 MB/sec.

If the subscribed version is much bigger due to additional content, then it will take longer, but 24 hours seems excessive. Do you know how many gigabytes the download is supposed to be, and what rate you're getting?

Obviously, I can't know what your download is doing, but for comparison I can tell you how my download went yesterday. I purchased the non-subscription version and the download was 12.5 Gb in size. It took 2.5 hours to complete the download, which I think gives a rate of 1.4 MB/sec.

If the subscribed version is much bigger due to additional content, then it will take longer, but 24 hours seems excessive. Do you know how many gigabytes the download is supposed to be, and what rate you're getting?

The program download will be the same. The additional subscription items come down through the DLC channel just as in T:ANE.

The program download will be the same. The additional subscription items come down through the DLC channel just as in T:ANE.

Thanks John. Well, in that case 24 hours seems too long. The download rate is a pathetic 0.14 MB/second (even my 1.4 MB/sec. was pathetic, but I'm on the cheapest/slowest broadband available). As to the cause, I can only guess. Would it be worth cancelling the download and trying again, hoping for a better rate?

Thanks John. Well, in that case 24 hours seems too long. The download rate is a pathetic 0.14 MB/second (even my 1.4 MB/sec. was pathetic, but I'm on the cheapest/slowest broadband available). As to the cause, I can only guess. Would it be worth cancelling the download and trying again, hoping for a better rate?

1.4 MB per second is pathetically slow... Did you go outside and check that the birds haven't unraveled some of the yarn on you?

Canceling the download might be something to consider, but I'm leery about canceling downloads unless there's a way to resume where it leaves off because canceling could munch something in the program if its downloading and installing at the same time as we've seen in the past. If anything I would download the offline installer and run that. At least that download can be canceled and run at another time since that's a separate program altogether and goes into a downloads folder.

1.4 MB per second is pathetically slow... Did you go outside and check that the birds haven't unraveled some of the yarn on you?

This is Australia, supposedly a first-world country, but last time I looked we ranked 55th in the world for fixed internet speed (Kazakstan beats us) and we are continuing to drop.

I have an unlimited broadband plan, but I also live out in the rural countryside and sometimes my broadband turns into a very slightly nearly somewhat almost broadband instead. We are supposed to be getting a fibre connection at some stage, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting.
I'm fairly certain that the download is for everything since I only ran the early access version for a week before I cancelled my subscription and it has had no updates. I clicked the black box menu that appeared on the front page when I started up my revived early access version (96000) so it's downloading a massive amount of DLC, routes and dependencies. I didn't go to the planetauran/download TS2019 page to download version 98592, - I was going to save that pleasure for later.

I am very reluctant to stop, or restart, or delete the download in case I mess up something in a terminal fashion. So for the present time I'm happy to leave it alone and let it get on with it. If it hasn't finished by 9.00am tomorrow (NZ Time) though I may revised that decision. I have plenty of other things to do such as making more pre-grouping goods wagons to keep me amused in the meantime.

Edit: New Zealand ranks 20th in the world with a fixed broadband download speed of 83.96 Mbps

My network connection seems to be doing about 6.0 Kbps at the moment.

Last edited:
This is Australia, supposedly a first-world country, but last time I looked we ranked 55th in the world for fixed internet speed (Kazakstan beats us) and we are continuing to drop.

At my home I have an ADSL2+ connection, which was fast in its day, but I can only get about 1.5Mbps download speed as I am close to the maximum distance from the local exchange. I actually get a faster link when I use my 4G mobile phone as a wifi hotspot but I run into download limits too quickly that way.

So now I do most of my Trainz downloading to my laptop (beta updates, DLC updates, etc) at a friends place where they have the NBN (National Broadband Network - a political football to many) and I can get about 24Mbps download speed and about 5Mbs upload speed. The NBN is scheduled to be rolled out to my place around March-April 2019 so, hopefully, I will be a much happier Trainzer after then.

I decided I'd had enough stopped it all and started the process off again. It is looking a bit more promising this time, but we shall see.

The download all from the black box is for content not the update to the game. Open trainz and click on settings, go to install and check for updates. A lot of the black box assets are for the latest build 98592.

Yes I guessed that was the mistake I made so I'm installing the latest patches now and then I guess after that will come the black box for content.

Uncapped 2.8 Mbps ADSL2, should be 10 Mbps! here or capped at 32GB 4G at 60Mbps through an LTE Router, which was the only reliable method of connection before I moved, I'm glad I didn't cancel it. Can't get Fibre yet as there are not enough connections on the local box! With all the large updates of DLC during testing the 32GB only lasted about 15 days for the last two months! the last Cornwall Update took 5 hours on ADSL at 300Kbps which cut out quite a few times...... better doing 1 item at a time than all at once.

Well I've finally got build 98592 all properly loaded in and installed so that's something. I haven't seen any sign of the black menu box yet.

Uncapped 2.8 Mbps ADSL2, should be 10 Mbps! here or capped at 32GB 4G at 60Mbps through an LTE Router, which was the only reliable method of connection before I moved, I'm glad I didn't cancel it. Can't get Fibre yet as there are not enough connections on the local box! With all the large updates of DLC during testing the 32GB only lasted about 15 days for the last two months! the last Cornwall Update took 5 hours on ADSL at 300Kbps which cut out quite a few times...... better doing 1 item at a time than all at once.

Fortunately I have a very economically priced unlimited broadband plan Malc so I can pretty much leave it to get on with it. Drop outs are fortunately a rare event even if the speed might throttle down sometimes due to the age of the exchange network out here in the rural countryside where I live. The New Zealand government of the day stirred up all the broadband providers here by declaring reliable broadband to be an economic necessity for the country so as a result we have it pretty good really.
Fibre is still a long way off for our street, but the local schools all have it.

Back