Is there a way to IMPROVE reliability of boatz ATLS crossings?

JonMyrlennBailey

I use two-way four-trigger setup.

The crossing will get stuck active should a train stop over the tiggers and back up.

Is there a better way to configure this crossing system so crossings don't get stuck active?

Is there a way to reset a stuck crossing in the session in case a train stops and accidentally backs up?

This has been plaguing me for several years now.

here is Boatz's website on the subject and he says:

http://www.boatztrainz.co.uk/ATLS3.pdf

6) The system is NOT designed to run a train to the crossing or junction, then stop it and reverse it! Once a tram or train hits the first Trigger it must complete the journey through the crossing, passing both Triggers (or all 4 if you're using the 4 Trigger System). Failing to complete the sequence in order will cause unpredictable results, particularly with bi-directional methods. It’s permissible to have a turnout but extra Triggers must be placed so the train can complete the correct sequence whatever path it takes.

Last edited:
Yes this is the overarching problem with ATLS. They work very well for mainline use and otherwise but not for much else.

The TRC Crossing system uses only one trigger and has very complex coding that allows for the gates to be raised or lowered based on the speed of the train on the track, not solely the presence of the train.

https://sites.google.com/site/trcv2english/ - this website contains all of the information youll need on the setup. Ignore the "open" triggers as TRC V3 only uses one close trigger.
https://www.reggiestrainz.com/crossing-signals - this website contains incredibly detailed, trc enabled crossing lights and cross bucks for the United States that are already TRC V3 enabled. There are payware assets as well.

UK and France TRC crossing can be found on the DLS.

From my experience, using the two trigger system for ATLS is far easier and still does the same thing as the four trigger system, what difference it really makes Im not sure but the option is there

It is best to make sure that a train has a clear route out of the crossing so avoiding the stop. If you know the train that caused the problem you can add the 4 trigger ATLS driver command to the drivers schedule to make the crossing think it has crossed more triggers. Add one and if the gates open add another to make a total of four triggers. If you are going to stop a train on the crossing then it is best to use a combination of ATLS triggers and ATLS commands and priority. Set the triggers not to respond to priority 3 trains and any train with priority 3 can pass over them with no reaction. If you have a train that is going to stop on the crossing use the above and use ATLS driver commands to close and open the crossing, I use the arrive and leave commands. If you have a particular problem I might be able to advise how you can get ATLS to do it.

I'm using TS12 right now because my home office desktop PC can't support T:ANE very well at all. The TRC author has not provided any American crossing content compatible with TS12. He has good crossing stuff that I have etsted a long time ago in T:ANE that allows American crossings to work prototypically allowing for stopping, reversing and even deactivating the crossing when the train stops moving on top of it.

There is one remote section on my TS12 route far away from yards and junctions where ATLS has been trouble-free. It's been balky on other parts. I think I will just disable the rest (or see PS below) until I can someday get in to T:ANE when I can actually afford a PC that will run T:ANE well.

The arrive and leave set up of ATLS has proved balky for me too.

I'm now stuck on a Jet-based Trainz for the time being that can't take advantage of later-developed better content so I will have to keep game play relatively simple and primitive.

PS - I have placed an invisible turnout into the eraser track from the ATLS slave. This acts as a shutoff switch in case an ATLS crossing gets stupid:confused:during a session. I put the shutoff switch inside a trackside relay cabinet to simply hover the mouse over it to shut off any possible annoying stuck crossing. The special shutoff switch has to be installed far enough away from the slave object so as not to have the switch locked by "an AI train" lest a location to close to the slave renders otherwise the shutoff switch useless during a session.

A Russian lever and colored invisible track can be used to fabricate this clever device.

Last edited:
Yes I have run into the same TS12 TRC problem , however upon installing the TANE enabled US crossings it is rather easy to optimize them to work in 12. Ive done it before.

Can the TRC US crossings be downloaded into T:ANE then be successfully imported into TS12 using CDP then successfully used in TS12?

Hold it, I just tried this but CM in TS12 gives these faulty messages:
Error: This asset has a trainz-build number which is not recognised by this tool.

Can this stuff be tweaked some way to make it work in TS12?

Last edited:
Yes I have run into the same TS12 TRC problem , however upon installing the TANE enabled US crossings it is rather easy to optimize them to work in 12. Ive done it before.

Can the TRC US crossings be downloaded into T:ANE then be successfully imported into TS12 using CDP then successfully used in TS12?

vincentrh is the author

Error: This asset has a trainz-build number which is not recognised by this tool.

vincentrh is the author

All content made for Trainz have a config file. One of lines in the config file says 'trainz-build' (without apostrophe marks) and then a number. Change this to the build number of your edition of TS12 and commit. WARNING: This may cause it to be faulty with some other error, more than likely regarding the script or code used by TRC.
List of which trainz-build numbers for which edition of Trainz can be found here: http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/%22Trainz-build%22_number

All content made for Trainz have a config file. One of lines in the config file says 'trainz-build' (without apostrophe marks) and then a number. Change this to the build number of your edition of TS12 and commit. WARNING: This may cause it to be faulty with some other error, more than likely regarding the script or code used by TRC.
List of which trainz-build numbers for which edition of Trainz can be found here: http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/"Trainz-build"_number

Jordan, opening up one of the TRC content files for edit there is trainz-build 4.5 noted.

My TS12 is 61388.

I used this trainz-build number 3.7 for TS12 SP1 per the link you gave me above.

This worked for the crossing scenery objects but for the TRC 3 Trigger for closure of rail crossing,<kuid2:458053:100686:12>

I got this when committed:

Error: Could not read file scripts : trainutil3.gs.
Error: .. while compiling 'trainutil3.gs'
Error: trcinterlockingtower.gs(26) : parse error, line 26
Error: .. while compiling 'trcinterlockingtower.gs'
Error: .. while compiling 'trcitlib.gs'
Error: .. while compiling 'trcitlibhelper.gs'
Error: .. while compiling 'trc_close.gs'

and

TRC 3 InterlockingTower library (SP2 and later),<kuid2:61392:8191:11>

Error: trcinterlockingtowerpath.gs(24) : parse error, line 24
Error: .. while compiling 'trcinterlockingtowerpath.gs'
Error: .. while compiling 'trcitlibhelper.gs'

and

TRC library,<kuid2:458053:100979:3>

Error: trc library.gs(9) : object<Crossing> not declared, line 9.
Error: .. while compiling 'trc library.gs'

Without a closure trigger that can be placed on a TS12 route, the scenery gates will be not functional.

I'm downloading this trigger to try out:
TS12:TRC 3 Trigger for closure of rail crossing,<kuid:458053:101646>

This one failed to.

I will download all the others and check them out.

All the others failed to even download.

Forget it!

Last edited:

The crossing will get stuck active should a train stop over the tiggers and back up.

Is there a better way to configure this crossing system so crossings don't get stuck active?

Is there a way to reset a stuck crossing in the session in case a train stops and accidentally backs up?

This has been plaguing me for several years now....

An addition issue I encountered with ATLS is if a train starts to exit through a portal while part of it is still over an ATLS crossing, the xing sticks on.

There is an alternative system I use in 2009, 12 and T:ANE. Atila Barut's <kuid2:131986:155203:4> My Level Crossings-3 rule and my minor variation of it, <kuid:373500:100175> My Level Crossings-3a. This system also uses boat's <kuid2:76656:1158:2> Invisible Train, which is a built-in in T:ANE.

Setup is as easy as ATLS, if not easier. The Controller is replaced by the session Rule. Only one trigger per track is needed. You adjust the crossing radii (trigger and release) in the Rule and each crossing is adjusted individually. It works with grade crossing assets or with the ATLS Traffic Stopper the same way ATLS does. I feel it offers more prototypic operation.

The only difference between atilabarut's and mine is with 3a you can set an 8-meter radius release instead of 25 M. That permits realistic operation in close quarters, as with a loading dock adjacent to a road crossing.

The only drawback to My Level Crossings that I know of, it does not save its settings when the session is saved, and the crossings do not operate when the session is resumed. I think this would be a straightforward coding fix, if I knew how to code in Trainzscript. I keep hoping someone will do it for me.

:B~)

rhvincent's TRC content works great in T:ANE.

I will just forgo TRC until; I get into T:ANE seriously which is when I can afford a gaming PC.

Performance of TS12 is crappy but doable on a home office grade desktop Windows PC.

I will just use my home-brewed shutoff switch to kill a boat's ATLS crossing should get goofy in a session.

I will employ the KISS principle.

Hi

Vincent has one "TRC US Grade Crossing one barrier 11 ft", build 3.3, kuid:458053:102882 on the DLS. Shows as obsolete in TRS19 but it may work with the TS12 trigger?

Regards

Brian

The following items from vincentrh should work in TS12

<kuid:458053:102882> TRC US Grade Crossing one barrier 11 ft
<kuid2:458053:102829:2> TRC Trigger for opening of rail crossing
<kuid2:458053:102815:2> TRC Trigger for closure of rail crossing
<kuid:458053:103042> TRC Trigger Stay Open
<kuid:458053:101646> TS12:TRC 3 Trigger for closure of rail crossing

They are build version 3.7

You will have to use a traffic stopper that is not ATLS compatible.

The following items from vincentrh should work in TS12

<kuid:458053:102882> TRC US Grade Crossing one barrier 11 ft
<kuid2:458053:102829:2> TRC Trigger for opening of rail crossing
<kuid2:458053:102815:2> TRC Trigger for closure of rail crossing
<kuid:458053:103042> TRC Trigger Stay Open
<kuid:458053:101646> TS12:TRC 3 Trigger for closure of rail crossing

They are build version 3.7

You will have to use a traffic stopper that is not ATLS compatible.

<kuid:458053:101646> TS12:TRC 3 Trigger for closure of rail crossing is full of errors and cannot be placed on my route

<kuid2:458053:102815:2> TRC Trigger for closure of rail crossing has no way to set the front and rear trigger radiuses and no way to list attached objects to the trigger: the trigger can only be named in the Properties tab: it can be adjusted for range in meters like a trackmarker in Trackmark tab, Advanced. I assume the range is set the same in either direction from the trigger this way.

I'm downloading <kuid:458053:102882> TRC US Grade Crossing one barrier 11 ft to try it out.

Ok, now how to actually make these things work together in a session is anybody's guess.
<kuid2:458053:102815:2> TRC Trigger for closure of rail crossing and<kuid2:458053:102815:2> TRC Trigger for closure of rail crossing do not work together in my test.I named each TRC object "test" for a test crossing I tried.

This is hopeless.

Last edited:
They have to be named #&# IE 1&1 1&2 1&3 etc... For the second crossing use 2&1 2&2 2&3 etc... This goes for all assets triggers, gates and traffic stoppers.

It has been awhile since I used TS12 but I do not think you can set the distance. His script will search for the crossing by family name. So if your trigger is named 1&1 it will search for a crossing and traffic stopper that start with 1&# all done in the objects property name.

I generally use #&50 for the crossing and #&51 for the traffic stopper. Remember replace the # with the family number 1, 2, 3 etc...

Vincent's web site has a page on how to set these up but I do not recall what the URL is. I will have to find it unless someone else chimes in here before I do.

This has been plaguing me for several years now.

here is Boatz's website on the subject and he says:

http://www.boatztrainz.co.uk/ATLS3.pdf

6) The system is NOT designed to run a train to the crossing or junction, then stop it and reverse it! Once a tram or train hits the first Trigger it must complete the journey through the crossing, passing both Triggers (or all 4 if you're using the 4 Trigger System). Failing to complete the sequence in order will cause unpredictable results, particularly with bi-directional methods. It’s permissible to have a turnout but extra Triggers must be placed so the train can complete the correct sequence whatever path it takes.

Hi,

Sorry for the long delay but I have only just come across this thread.

Yes, If a train activates a Trigger and does not complete the sequence, the system will get stuck.

There are 2 things you can do.

Have you tried changing the 'Priority' of the offending train? If you are not planning to take that train over the ATLS crossing then if you change its Priority to (say) 1 and then set the Triggers to ignore Priority 1 trains, that will solve the problem.
(To set the train's Priority use (?) on it in Surveyor. There will be an option to change train Priority. The default is 2)
(To make the Trigger invisible to Priority 1 trains, click the left hand green tick, (check) This will go to a red 'x' and it will then ignore Priority 1 trains. By default the Trigger sees all Priority trains)

The second option is to use the new Re-Set Driver Command, kuid:76656:80000. Place the Command in any train's Driver Schedule and you can re-set any ATLS Channel. Make sure the crossing in question is free of all trains when you do it or you will have to do it again!

Hope that helps,

Boat

Back