TRS 2019 and AssetX

So I have just installed TRS2019, but I also have T:ANE still installed. Does anyone know how I can configure AssetX to read open assets from both T:ANE and TRS2019?

Add a home folder to point at your TRS19 userdata\editing folder. I've been using it for months.

Part of my [Home] section of my assetx.ini file looks like this:

Code:
[Home]1=D:\Tane-my-dev-userdata\editing
2=D:\N3V Games\Clean TS12\UserData\editing
3=D:\N3V Games\TRS19 Userdata\build 18t6hs3f1\editing

You can edit the ini file directly but not while AssetX is running. Make a backup first!

AssetX does need a bit of an update.

Thanks for such an instant reply Paul.

I amended my AssetX.ini so that I now see 2 home folders (H1 and H2) for T:ANE and TRS2019 respectively.

In the "Paths & Files" tab there is also a slot called "TRS Installation" which currently has an entry for the path and trainz-build number for T:ANE. It looks like it only accepts one entry here. What have you got in this slot?

Mine is pointing at my TANE "my-dev" installation. The help says this about it:

The installation dialogue has been simplified for this version and no longer provides space for multiple TRS installations. You should enter data only for your most recent installation.

I'm not sure exactly what this path is for although there may be something about it in the help. Whatever it is, it doesn't interfere with, or affect the way I use AssetX. The Home folders is something I use a lot.

Hmm, the cut and paste didn't work very well. It should say:

"The installation dialogue has been simplified for this version and no longer provides space for multiple TRS installations. You should enter data only for your most recent installation."

The asset validation tools work on the Build Number on the Paths and Files page. You can use the current asset, as I do, or I think it validates according to the TRS Installation. Providing the validation knows the path to the chosen Trainz Build it will validate according to the validation files for each build. So Andi, and perhaps PEV, have "futureproofed" AssetX to some extent.

The biggest problem for me, since I write Trainzscript, is the ability to test compile scripts in later versions of Trainz. The test compile option, which uses Trainzutil, will at least do a parse through the script and pickup the usual missing semi colons and some simple syntax errors.

AssetX is way more powerful than most people seem to know. It's a credit to Andi and Peter.

How do I get TRS2019 added to the pull down list, or do I just change the path to TRS2019?

I just edited the assetx.ini file and added TRS2019 to the bottom of the [Builds] list. Warning! If you do this then AssetX cannot be running otherwise it will overwrite your change. Make a backup copy of assetx.ini first.

My list looks like this:

Code:
[Builds]1.3=Trainz-SP3
1.5=UTC
1.6=UTC-SP1
2.0=2004
2.1=2004-SP1
2.2=2004-SP2
2.3=2004-SP3
2.4=2004-SP4
2.5=2006
2.6=2006-SP1
2.7=TC-1
2.8=TC-3
2.9=2009
3.0=2009-SP1
3.1=2009-SP2
3.2=2010-SP1
3.3=2010-SP2
3.4=2010-SP4
3.5=2012
3.6=2012-MAC
3.7=2012-SP1
3.8=2012-MAC2
3.9=TANE-CE-1.0
4.0=TANE-CE-1.1
4.1=TANE-CE-1.2
4.2=TANE
4.3=TANE-SP1
4.4=TANE-TMR17
4.5=TANE-SP2
4.6=TRS2019

Questions such as this should be posted in the main AssetX thread where PEV is more likely to see it.

Need some Script File advice with ASSET_X latest version 3.3

:wave:Need a little help from the Brain Trust here......?

Running ASSET-X 3.3 with TRS19 new install from T:ANE,, no longer use TANE either.......New ASUS ROG Strix Laptop, WIN10 with 16 Meg RAM and NVIDIA 4 MEG RAM, SSD C: and regular 1 Tera HD for D: Drive.........

I am using ASSET-X it at least for now to do 3 things, Repair Texture, then PM to IM and IMages 2TGA under Tools menu........I would like to Run Batch Mode, say about 25 Files at a crack, I read the Batch Mode Operation in Help File, it makes sense, and I see their are a few pre made Scripts, but I don't see any that have all 3 of these items listed together........I loaded the Tardis Script Add-on too from Shane Turners Site.....So I have latest files, as far as I know........

:confused: Is possible to make a Script to Run these.......I did look at the TAKE OUT THE TRASH one, but I figured I didn't need to run that one for just 3 types of errors.......

Like anything else when you upgrade to newer Trainz, you end up with more Faulty Assets, and that is where I am at, I do understand at this point in the Game, I will have to Throw away my other dated ASSETS...........

Could you give advice on this.............On how to proceed.........;)

When you say “batch mode” are you referring to Images2TGA? If so, Shane Turner has recently written a nice little batch file to make Images2TGA do that. It enables Images2TGA to process multiple assets as a batch, as opposed to its internal “trawl mode” which means processing all the *.texture files within just 1 asset.

See this thread "A Batch file for Images2TGA" for discussion on that, plus a link to download the batch file from Shane's website. I'm reproducing the link here. Once you have it working, you can also configure AssetX to add a new Menu that calls up the batch file (just saves you the trouble of finding the file and running it outside of AssetX). That's also detailed in the forum thread.

If you were referring to PM2IM, I don't think it can automatically process batches of assets. And there's no little batch file written for it yet to make it do that.

Last edited:
When you say “batch mode” are you referring to Images2TGA? If so, Shane Turner has recently written a nice little batch file to make Images2TGA do that. It enables Images2TGA to process multiple assets as a batch, as opposed to its internal “trawl mode” which means processing all the *.texture files within just 1 asset.

See this thread "A Batch file for Images2TGA" for discussion on that, plus a link to download the batch file from Shane's website. I'm reproducing the link here. Once you have it working, you can also configure AssetX to add a new Menu that calls up the batch file (just saves you the trouble of finding the file and running it outside of AssetX). That's also detailed in the forum thread.

If you were referring to PM2IM, I don't think it can automatically process batches of assets. And there's no little batch file written for it yet to make it do that.

:wave: Thanks Dean,

:eek: Sorry about the confusion, yes Batch Mode for multiple Assets, is what I need..........

Thanks for the Link.......I have to learn how to do the new Menu part.........All good my friend........

This will be of great help........

In connection with this, given that we are now recommended, according to the Wiki, to use png images for TRS2019, how does Images2TGA handle this?

Does it a) Convert the .texture file back to png and create a texture.txt file to match;
b) Convert the .texture file to tga and corresponding texture.txt file;
or c) Not recognise the .texture file as valid?

Regards Mike

In connection with this, given that we are now recommended, according to the Wiki, to use png images for TRS2019, how does Images2TGA handle this?

Does it a) Convert the .texture file back to png and create a texture.txt file to match;

Regards Mike

This is most likely for assets going forward, and will likely be so because of assets.

Images2TGA will decompress the .texture files and pull out the related .tga file and texture.txt file that's located inside.

The only time a .texture file is invalid is when TRS19, or any Trainz version attempts to open them directly. The .texture format is an internal file format used by the program.

Regards Mike

Good questions. I don’t know the answer, and judging from what John said, I don’t think he does either! :hehe:
I suspect that with TRS2019 being so different to previous editions of Trainz (PBR textures, trainzmesh files, etc.) that many of the PEV tools and AssetX will have troubles unless they are updated in a major way.

As for .png files and Images2TGA, I’ll see if I can do some tests today and find out how it behaves.

Pretty sure, that images2TGA will only convert .texture to a TGA and texture.txt from the .texture format, which is created from TGA, JPG or now PNG but will effectively be the same internal format irrespective of original, if you follow. Kind of obvious from it's name Images2TGA?

I strongly suspect you're right Malc.

In any case, the test I thought of doing was thwarted by the fact that any textures I submit into the CM database will not re-open in *.texture format, just in their original format (bmp, jpg, tga or png).

I did learn a couple of other things along the way though;

- PNG files don't support alpha channels? Is that right, or just an artifact of using an old version of Photoshop (CS3)?
- PEV MeshViewer and AssetX don't read mesh textures made with PNG images.
- TRS2019 won't accept m.tbumptex material made in the old way; normal bitmap -> Bump slot. Now we have to use; normal bitmap -> NormalBump -> bump slot (3DS Max).

Last edited:
Back