Just a few questions about TRS 2019

Turn off half refresh or make it full is worse but it's normal : full means with 1920 x 1080 60 HZ the game tries to refresh with the monitor frequency, if something is demanding, stuttering will be more visible. And turn off this option means that the FPS could up and down all the time that make stutters too.

I don't think it's graphic relative (yes for sure but not only), because I can turn on/off any differents settings, I always have stutters when moving. I think for now I could never have this game "smooth" so, I try to keep the best settings I can find but for now I didn't find them. It's like the game loads something all the time and causes stutters on rendering. I try to play with the render behind camera / streaming texture option with no luck.

Continue my testing. I will let you know if I find something but I start loosing faith to make this game smooth here.

Sorry for the double threads but I make a test and I thing there is no way here to have something smooth :

I turn down all the graphic options :

- shadow : off
- shadow res : 2048 (they are off so...)
- shaders details : low
- textures details : low
- post-effects : low
- water quality : low
- grass : off
- antialiasing : x 2

- use multiple thread : on
- use streaming textures : on (I try to switch on/off to see the difference)
- use physX : off
- objects behind camera : off

And...I always have stutters when moving. I also try to put the distance slider at the minimum and it does not change nothing.

It's not normal with my rig to have these performances, it's impossible, I know that it's not a very high end PC with this type of settings all should be smooth. All settings at the minimum and got the same result...

I don't understand. Just to be clear when I say "stutters" I mean when the train move in cab view for example and you look at the landscape, structures, animals, there are some stutters or jerks that occurs regulary that make the experience not enjoyable. I try to find a solution but with this test it seems there is not ^^

I make an ultimate test : move the contents on an other disk to put them in a different place where the game is installed to see if it helps.

Last edited:
If it's stuttering, make sure your TRS19 folders are excluded from AV scanning. What AV do you use? It stopped stuttering on my system
cheers
Graeme

I have uninstalled AV to test and disable totally disable windows defender (got windows pro so it's easy for me to disable completly it), and no luck.

I'm no technical whizz-kid, but one other thing, Guillaume, that I have noticed is that if I do a Database Repair or start playing with a newly downloaded route, my machine stutters a bit the first couple of sessions after firing up TRS2019. (I think there's a lot of caching and memory-swapping going on in the background, but as I say, I'm not tech-expert.) Try running closing TRS 2019 down - wait until all computer activity has stopped, and then fire it up again and see if it improves.

Yes it's possible. For now I wait because I move contents in an other disk to see if it's improve performance. Before, the game and the contents were on the same disk. I disable (also smartscreen application protection to see). I will tell you the result and I will try to play a few to see if there is improvements over sessions.

Did they finally get rid of the infernal "click clack" track sound? I wish they would eliminate it all together

My video specs are less than yours (I have a Gigabyte GTX780Ti) but I do have an I7 4770 CPU and I can run TRS19 ok with settings higher than yours. I do have shadows off, which is a known performance killer, but I have dev options turned on which can affect performance.

Is Task Manager giving any clues such as CPU activity, disk I/O etc?

I didn't look at these but I suspect the cpu I don't know what else could cause these issues. I will look at these things when it will be finished (moving contents take some times). But in an other way if there is a lot of caching while playing and the content is on the same disk of the game, that could be the problem that's why I wait to see what it will do when it will be ready to play.

And I will make the test with off effect shadow and co : off to be sure. With all settings off (except those which give performances of course) I should have something smooth so, let's see.

I didn't look at these but I suspect the cpu I don't know what else could cause these issues. I will look at these things when it will be finished (moving contents take some times). But in an other way if there is a lot of caching while playing and the content is on the same disk of the game, that could be the problem that's why I wait to see what it will do when it will be ready to play.

And I will make the test with off effect shadow and co : off to be sure. With all settings off (except those which give performances of course) I should have something smooth so, let's see.

I also have VSync set to None.

Just to check I started up Kickstarter County to run a session and my average FPS is 70-80 with occasional 100+.

If it's stuttering with everything on low settings with a GTX1060 then something seems to be wrong.

New installs should already be pre-cached, however may not be in this release? So through the testing first runs of any route will do a lot of pre-caching which may be the cause of the stuttering, subsequent runs should be better.
Check your Graphics Drivers are up to date and from Nvidia, do not use the ones from Windows Update.
Get rid of Geforce Experience if using it, that can impede performance on some systems.
Try setting detail update rate to low?
Is your PSU up to handling the 1060 running flat out? TRS19 is extremely GPU dependant.
If not installed on an SSD perhaps a defrag is needed, Trainz initial installs tend to be very fragmented.

I've used a 1060 6GB with a Ryzen 5 1600 and there were no problems with everything on high settings, since replaced it with the GTX980TI from my main rig which got a 1080TI.

The 1060 moved down to a Phenom II 1090T X6 with old Sata2 Drives, where I just installed TRS19 as a test and it works OK but on lowish settings, I wouldn't honestly expect much better on an Ancient setup like that and probably the Phenom is bottlenecking the GPU, however it will run a steady 60FPS with no stuttering, does have a 750Watt PSU in it though.

Ok I made the tests. So it doesn't change anything. I looked at my task manager, CPU loaded is 50-60 % so that's correct for me. The Nvidia 16 %....

Continue testing, but if I can't find something or a compromise to have a cool driving experience, I will cancel my membership, I don't want to but it's not funny to drive a train with all the decors/animals/landscape stuttering/jerking every 4 seconds.

To answer some of things here, I already have windows up to date since yesterday, and my nvidia drivers too, all is up to date.

For the in game settings everything are on the lowest settings. For the distance whatever I use (1500, 4000, 6000....) the same things happen.

A precision, I have sata disk and non ssd disk (but at the same time it should work).

Last edited:
Maybe check your hard drive for errors and also benchmark it and see if its operating to it's specification. I had a stuttering issue with TS12 a long time ago, Drive did not have any errors however when I benchmarked it it was running way below spec at 2 MB/s should have been around 60 MB/s replaced drive problem solved, curiously nothing else seemed to be affected by the problem, probably noticeable in Trainz due to the requirement to load stuff in real time.

Yes, I have 3 disks so, I can't count the number of tests I did since yesterday...However, I make last test and after if I can't have something cool, I will abandon and let this one. That's a pitty because I really would like to discover it but in good condition.

The thing that is weird is that I have best performances without texture streaming but it's not enough.

EDIT : All test are done, without success. Membership cancelled. May be I will return later when my rig will be changed.

Last edited:
Since you are having so much trouble, you go to the Help Tab and submit a ticket and see if the gang at Trainz can help.

Yes, I have 3 disks so, I can't count the number of tests I did since yesterday...However, I make last test and after if I can't have something cool, I will abandon and let this one. That's a pitty because I really would like to discover it but in good condition.

The thing that is weird is that I have best performances without texture streaming but it's not enough.

EDIT : All test are done, without success. Membership cancelled. May be I will return later when my rig will be changed.

Stutters are caused by:

1) Settings that are too high for your computer to handle including refresh rate for your display.

List your computer specs, of if you have put them somewhere, please post them again. With the multitude of users here, we can make some recommendations. It maybe as simple as a driver update.

For starters though start at the lowest or medium settings for the graphics. Turn off PhysX and filddle with the resolution. I also recommend running in a Window rather than full screen for other reasons such as for bringing up the various monitors and profile screen, which can help with performance settings. There's no reason either to run at 15k Km all the time with full shadows at the highest resolution and trees at their fullest. Try the lower and work upwards. Even with my GTX1080Ti, I use middle-high settings to achieve the balance between performance versus eye-candy. Related to this is power settings for your system. Ensure that your video card is operating at high performance rather than it's lowest power/green settings.

2) Turn temperature monitors. These have an adverse affect on performance and this is an across-the-board issue with other games as well. There's a bunch of posts and notes about this on the NVidia forums. You may, however, want to turn up fans if you are concerned about the teps.

3) How about clogged air inlets?

Check the system isn't overheating. This doesn't just help TRS2019, and affects the overall performance of the computer.

4) A highly fragmented hard disk that contains the Trainz data, Trainz being any version.

SSDs, excluded, although a trim is recommended here. Defrag and ensure the drive that you have installed on is defragmented. There's a lot of data here being moved around and slower disks will cause stutters as data is loaded.

5) Antivirus stomping on the executables

Yes. Norton, Kaspersky, et al. can and will kill the program as it runs. I disabled real-time scanning of the Trainz executables even while running Windows Defender.

6) Antivirus stomping on the data folder.

Related to the above, there's a lot of data files being opened and closed and archives being decompressed. Yes the data is kept in .tzarc files and their own proprietary archive formats, and when they are decompressed, the antivirus programs go bonkers and scan files. This is fine for a one-off scan, but multiply this by the 100s or 1000s of assets, and you'll end up with a slide show.

7) TRS2019 fresh install. Check the screen that it doesn't say precaching. If there's a precaching message, there will be some stuttering, or a lot too, depending upon what's being loaded.

These are the things that can cause stutters.

Hi , I almost already answer these questions but I can repost :

I5-6500 3,20 GHZ 4 cores, 16 GB RAM, GTX 1060 6 GB.

3 HDD Sata

For the refresh screen I tested a lot of thing : 1080 60 HZ with and without Vsync and with Half Vsync. I try to lock the framerate to 30 FPS with a half refresh (without success).

For the rest, I already checked my rig and all is ok. When the game is running my cpu is at 50-60 % of use, and my GTX 16%. Although if the PC is overheating it's simple : it freezes it doesn't the case and I already have checked temp with some softwares nothing special (and if it was the case I think I should have these same kind of problems on other games I play, not only TRS). But, to be sure I will check again for a more long time to see if there is some "pics".

No AV here so no pb with that (I uninstalled and desactivated all of these things for testing purposes).

The last thing I could mention is, that I don't have this problem on some other games (not only train games, whatever they are) that are very demanding and they run smoothly, so why not TRS 2019 ?

If I have to resume, I will say the games turns correctly all is ok, the only thing I don't like and I can't get rid of , is when we are moving, there are a lot of jerks and stuttering. When I checked the FPS, I saw : 60 then 40 then 35 and 60 again etc... that's the problem, that's why there is some stuttering and that's why I tried to "lock" this fps to 30 (like we did somedays in TS) to have something smooth.

I reinstall it but via the online installer now and (not the offline installer) and check again because I am a mulish :D

Please don't get me wrong, I don't say bad thing on this game, I just try to play in the best condition I can, but it seems to be difficult. For now I look at the fragmentation problem, if it can help.

EDIT : degrees of fragmentation is not big less than 20 % so I make a defrag and we will see if there is differences. Now I think of something, we perhaps don't have the same degree of perception. It seems that happens where there are more building or things like animals or when moving camera or changing them. I can see stutters a lot when I'm in a cab, less in third view.

Just to remember I tested the game with all settings down (low, off etc...) with a better result but not what I expected and when I say on low settings, it very low settings, all off and all down (except those which give performances).

Now is there somewhere here that have these game completly smooth ? I can understand some stutters, but each time I drive in front on something like building, cows, horses, it stutters that's why it's pretty annoying, I would like to profit with having my eyes bleeding ;) In fact it may depends of the degree someone consider stutters are acceptable, for me, when I drive something, I don't like see stutters in the landscape, it's not immersive and it hurts my eyes.

If I understand TRS use a lot the disk to zip/unzip or something assets and contents, may be this is a HDD performance issue (SATA 7200 trs/mns) ? Defragmentation is on the way now.

Last edited:
Courtesy of times, SSD's are dirty cheap now. I can buy a 120Gb for about $40. If you install a W-10 and T:ANE on it, what happens? Understand, nothing else, just operating system and simulator. I say T:ANE because this would be a reference. If it runs OK, run a session in night time (worst condition for smooth running). Once (if) you are satisfied, install TS19 and see what happens. By doing this you eliminate or confirm the concern of HDD slow running.

Back