Just a few questions about TRS 2019

CrystalNoir

Hi everyone,

Please apologize for my english.

First of all I love train simulators and especially driving train. I would like to change a few because I have the others competitors sims, but I find this one very nice in term of immersion and graphics.

However, I saw a lot of videos about this simulators but in the video they always drive out of the cab (third person view). I would like to know if this game is still enjoyable for someone like me that love driving train but not espescially building route or something. Are the cab views reaslistic ? Can we have pleasure to drive a route etc...or it's more a building "train simulator" tool ?

If it's positive I could take the gold membership in my case. But I would like to know before and have more informations about this "point of view" of the simulator.

Thank you in advance, or you answers. (just a small thing, I was invited to test the beta but the beta came at the same time as I have some healthy problems so I didn't be able to test it).

And again, please apologize for my english ;)

See you soon !

Guillaume

Last edited:
Hi Guillaume,

TRS19 is just like all the earlier Trainz versions in that you can drive trains in routes and sessions that others have created, or you can create your own routes and sessions, or you can do both.

Peter

I have a question too. Does TS2019 also (still) contain the old fashioned and asymmetric clickety clack sound? Because this would be holding me back buying this time.. A lot of people have been complaining about the outdated sounds that seems play completely random when passing junctions.

Thanks for your answer but I'm wondering how enjoyable is the "drive" (cab view only) part of the simulator because that's this part that is more interresting to me.

It is not "cab view only" as you have a choice of camera views in Driver - cab, chase and trackside - as is the case in all the previous versions of Trainz. You also have a choice of driver control method - DCC (simple) of full cab controls (complicated and more demanding).

Yes I know that we can use several views and type of driving. I'm going to ask my question may be more clearly (difficult in english for me) : is it enough enjoyable for someone who only want to drive trains ?

is it enough enjoyable for someone who only want to drive trains ?

There are plenty of people in these forum who never create routes but only ever drive trains in routes from the DLS or DLC, so I guess that the answer is "yes". But each person will have their own description of what is enjoyable, which routes they like (and do not like), which trains they like, etc.

If I drive sessions then I prefer to drive in realistic mode and in steam cabs as its more challenging. But I pop in and out of the cab all the time. It can be very difficult to stop a steam driven train in the right location in a station.

Guillaume - as one who enjoys driving, and one who uses four different "Train Sims", I will give you my honest answer:

1. Absolute favourite for "In Cab Driving Experience" is Train Sim World. The drawback is that you are stuck with the supplied locomotives/rolling stock and the routes you purchase. There are no editors to "reskin" content or alter or extend routes. Graphics and visuals - especially in the cab view, are as colse to realistic as it is possible to get. (In real life, I am a Guard on the GWR Class 166 Turbos based at Reading and frequently travel up to Paddington. The Cab detail, the Passenger Views and the stations are amazingly true to life on the Train Sim World GWR Route!)

2. Train Simulator 2019 (64 bit) is also good for the driving experience. The Editors, and Freeware RW Tools, allow reasonable scope for "Activity Editing", but the "Route Editor" is incredibly difficult to master. Free add-ons are acceptable, but for quality you need to keep dipping into you pocket and purchasing additional Payware items.

3. Diesel Railcar Simulator - I really like this one. The lines are all fictitious but the trains (all British First Generation DMU's) are delightful. It is a "start up" so it will evolve as time passes. We now have a "Timetable Editor" so we can start to piece together our own scenarios and a Route Editor is being promised at some point soon. The two great things are that is it is not expensive and, if you fancy a quick drive before bed, is quick to load up and get thrashing!

4. Trainz (now up to TRS2019). I have loved Trainz since the very beginning. Before it was even released, I used to wait patiently for the weekly "3D Model Render" wondering what locomotive the "Brew Crew" from Auran down there in far off Australia would choose. The simple Route and Scenario editors in "Surveyor" are a true delight to use, you can build or tweak to your heart's content. Clever "Content Creators" have produced Freeware on the Download Station so it is very easy to get hold of new content at no extra expense. (If, like me, you're always hunting the DLS for something, you will need to pay about £25 a year for a "First Class Ticket" so your downloads don't slow to a crawl!)

The Surveyor allows you to add "AI Traffic" easily and apply "Rules" so that the AI traffic stops at stations, or shunts into sidings - whjatever you want it to do, basically. Just be aware, the Artificial Intelligence is very real and the train drivers don't always do as they are told!

From a driver's point of view, some locomotive cab views are better than others. If you're into Steam, those from "Lielestosbrat" and "Skipper1945" are brilliant. You find many locomotives/units use generic cabviews, but, for me, that's not the end of the world.

Without a doubt, Trainz has always been something special for me and Train Simulator 2019 is the best of the lot - it's the one I return to every time. Oh, I almost forgot to mention, the biggest benefit of all here is the Trainz Community. If you're stuck on something, if your Trainz isn't behaving as it should, if you want to do something but can't - the guys on this forum always chip in and help!

Now, I hope I haven't upset Tony Hilliam and his N3V Friends by mentioning other simulators by name, but I'll just sign off by wishing you a Very Happy Christmas!
2piu52.jpg

Guillaume,

Here's an in-cab view from a route I've been working on.

With the newer game-engine, you'll have sunlight and shadows sneaking into the cab with trees and line-side objects creating flickering light and shadows as you move through tree tunnels.

As was said above, there are four different camera views. While driving or riding in the cab while the AI driving, I will ride along in the cab over longer distances, but will exit and switch my trains from an external view. If I wanted I could aways switch from the cab and have done it before, but in the external view you can catch a view of the animated couplers, hear the clunking and banging, hoses popping, and see the locomotive struggle to pull and push the consists around.

Seen here are a couple of in-cab screenshots of a route I've been working on. On the left is an early morning drive and the sunlight can be seen illuminating the taller hills while the valley is still in the fog. The right side is another, earlier shot of the same route, different train, and on a different section. The experience, believe me, is much better than can ever be captured from a screenshot or even a video.

2018-12-09 222235.jpg2018-11-14 231957.jpg

I don't know if you know about the 'Internal Camera' that lets you move sideways within the loco cab which is different from the 'cab view'. It can be found in the main System Menu of surveyor-Settings-General Settings-Advanced Setting For Content Developers-Checkbox: Enable Free Internal Camera. With this checked you can move sideways in the cab and look out of the cab window without the cab circular motion that happens in the other cab view. I really enjoy this interior view.

Waow what to say ? ^^ Thank you all for you answer.

So, first of all, to answer sterrett :

I have all of the sims you have mentioned. That's why I asked for this one. Some years ago, I was a few disapointed with TANE because it did not like pretty well to be honest and I didn't feel the driving sensation I could in other sims) I don't talk about TMR2017 because it's more special/different. Your argumentation is right and good. For TSW that's right, very good sim but very expensive too...(same for TS without the performances lol). For Diesel Railcar it's too early to talk about but it have its style.

That's why I give a try to TRS19, I purchase for now a gold membership that's the better way to give a try the before buying if I want to with a first class ticket.

To answer
JCitron :

Great job :) I'm going to ty this games and I will say here what I think about.

A small question : I didn't choose my 5 DLC, I don't know what to take, what do you think I should consider for this month ? (if you have acccess to the list they propose).

Last edited:
There's so much to choose from so that can be a tough decision. Pick one of the routes available and some locomotives. I'm not sure what your railroad interests are. (sigh) The good news is very shortly another batch will come up for pick and then if you see something and you miss it, the content will cycle around again at some point and you can get it then.

And then there's the Download Station... Look at the routes and sessions by Phil Skene (philskene). He makes small model railroad style routes based on old time narrow gauge operations. The lighting, trees, and everything is awesome, and his sessions always work because he ensures stuff is either built in already, or is available for download.

In fact I talked about the vault and the monthly selection items, there are "only" 13 items and I have to pickup up 5 but I don't know what to choose because I don't know a lot about TrainZ that's why I asked this question :)

In fact I talked about the vault and the monthly selection items, there are "only" 13 items and I have to pickup up 5 but I don't know what to choose because I don't know a lot about TrainZ that's why I asked this question :)

Take a look at the sessions available for the routes that are installed. You have to have the route in order to make the sessions work, and there is no refund. I'm not sure if you like the Russian locomotives, they didn't appeal to me, but I did pickup the Norfolk Southern locomotives and the P&W locomotive. There's the car carriers which come with a session for the German route Niter--- something (I'm not at my Trainzing computer to look up the exact spelling).

There's nothing lost when downloading these assets. With routes and sessions, these assets like anything you install, becomes additional stuff you can use elsewhere when and if you should decide to build your own routes and run your trains on them. The same goes with the stuff on the DLS, and yes I bring this up again because both what's available in the DLC and on the DLS are connected indirectly. You can modify all routes you have installed, including the DLC from the vault, but not the trains - just the routes and sessions. This means you can expand these routes and put in additional content you downloaded from the DLS. In total between what's installed plus the DLS, is well over 520K assets if not more.

As time goes on, you'll see how expansive this program is compared to others out there.

Waow what to say ? ^^ Thank you all for you answer.

So, first of all, to answer sterrett :

I have all of the sims you have mentioned. That's why I asked for this one. Some years ago, I was a few disapointed with TANE because it did not like pretty well to be honest and I didn't feel the driving sensation I could in other sims) I don't talk about TMR2017 because it's more special/different. Your argumentation is right and good. For TSW that's right, very good sim but very expensive too...(same for TS without the performances lol). For Diesel Railcar it's too early to talk about but it have its style.

That's why I give a try to TRS19, I purchase for now a gold membership that's the better way to give a try the before buying if I want to with a first class ticket.

To answer
JCitron :

Great job :) I'm going to ty this games and I will say here what I think about.

A small question : I didn't choose my 5 DLC, I don't know what to take, what do you think I should consider for this month ? (if you have acccess to the list they propose).

I'm also a gold member as its the best deal i think because its pretty much a hobby of mine, what I tend to choose is Routes because then you have new locations to drive andit pretry much always comes with new Locomotives and Rolling stock that you can then also use on other routes. So if you cant decide i say pick some routes and if your into steam locs also watch out for those because they have some really nice ones on the store

For now, I am fighting with performances. I try to find a compromise between quality and FPS but it seems difficult to find.

My Spec : I5-6500 3,2GHZ 4 Core / 16 GB RAM / Geforce GTX 1060 6 GO.

I have a very similar PC spec to yourself
My suggestion for settings would be everything maxxed out but with:
Draw distance 6000m
Vertical Sync -half
Draw behind camera - off
Also make sure that your antivirus is not scanning the trainz database, make an exclusion for that folder so that when an asset is used in game, it is not scanned in real time which leads to skips and micro freezes.
cheers
Graeme

Thanks but my problem is not really FPS or almost not. In fact I can have a good FPS for example 30 constantly (with an half of refreshing), the fact is that when the train is moving, the route you can see stutters a lot and it's awful to look at. I tried several things with the settings without success.

I can have constantly 30 FPS with the half refresh option (on a 60 HZ screen so it should be smooth and it does for ex in Train Simulator), the fact is that something make alls stuttering. I already try to make all the slider off and draw camera off but it's not resolving this specific problem and I don't know why, it's frustrating. I try to play with all the slider off / on, min / max, with / without, all off, all on, lol but nothing helps.

I'm going to try again with your settings. I make my test on the first tutorial that is very quick. When nothing is moving, that's ok but when I start the train, going in cab and watch out the window to see the landscape, there is a lot of stutters.

The strange thing is that half refresh, I have constant 30 FPS but it stutters when the train is moving, it should not, or there is some frame drop that I can't see with my "fps showing" software. I don't know but I continue to try and I'm going to try again your setup to see if I missed something.

Thank you for the help, I will tell you what.

Back