Is N3V Yearly Subcription Killing Off Sales ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I am not one of the adults that think $20 for a gift is highly expensive. You can't get much for $20. Cigarettes here are $70 a carton. I spend at least $300 per kid, I have 3. Then there is the wife, she gets at least $500 worth at Christmas. I am going out shortly to buy her some more. My kids are great. My wife is wonderful, I do not mind spending on her or the kids. It's Christmas! Quit whining and get over it already because it is what it is. No silver spoon here. I work 60+ hours a week, yeah a lot but I love my job. I have the boss that everyone wants. I have been with him for 41 years. I carve granite tombstones and some days I am really glad I do cause that is another one gone. Do you think that all your whining is going to change anything? I highly doubt it as you are pretty much alone with your complaints. Maybe you need another hobby eh?

Wow! Some folk need to calm down, I can see blood vessels bursting everywhere in this thread - it's only a silly computer game, not a way of life, after all said and done!

Rob.

People are free to make whatever choice suits them or their finances and don't need long lectures on what they can or can't afford ;o)

Personally I doubt many children would be interested in a Train Simulator these days when they spend their lives 24/7 on mobile gadgets and it's not exactly a child orientated game, more aimed at the adult market IMO.

Nothing like creating a problem where one doesn't exist.

it's only a silly computer game, not a way of life, after all said and done!

Rob.
A silly PC game that has year by year, version by version, been progressively going up, and up, in price, and is now extremely overpriced for the $70 version, and as a last straw it has gone to a $100 to $150 "Yearly Subscription" base, where it terminates on the 365th day ... Driving away 99% of potential buyers

And now the overall view is that: "We are willing to pay more and more, and we actually like paying more and more"

Last edited:
The simple fact is the business model is shifting, the days of buying a disc and owning a game are almost completely gone. Has its pro's and cons like everything else that evolves. Honestly surprised it took NV3 this long to jump on board, really thought this move would have came with T:ANE. $70 a few years ago would have been the end of trainz, yes. Right now it's probably right in line with all the other games, look at what ps4/xbox, etc games run. Even there, I think you have seen the last of the consoles that use a disk, i bet next gen will be all digital download.

also, most people who are going to get into Trainz, as a hobby will spend the money on hardware. Even if you can't run graphics at full tilt, still can get enjoyment. On a side note, trainz 19 ran better then tane on my laptop, so it might better if you have a lower specd pc. Now on my desktop, i have everything near max.

I do agree with kilbre3, kids are probably not the majority or targeted groups. While i am more inline with his age, early 30's, Take a look at any model train show, hardly any kids outside of those with their grandparents. my son will sit in his highchair and watch me play trainz for hours, will he once he can use a pc, don't know. So they can maybe push it a bit more, given an older targeted group, meaning higher hardware requirements, not that they are super high.

A silly PC game that has year by year, version by version, been progressively going up, and up, in price, and is now extremely overpriced for the $70 version, and as a last straw it has gone to a $100 to $150 "Yearly Subscription" base, where it terminates on the 365th day ... Driving away 99% of potential buyers

And now the overall view is that: "We are willing to pay more and more, and we actually like paying more and more"

The choice and price range are very wide. TANE and I strongly suspect TS19 will run on an i3 with series Intel 4000 integrated graphics or later ($300 from dellrefurbished) It will also run and take full advantage of a GTX 2008 TI. It's just a matter of choosing the content and setting the sliders.

There is still a very good range of free assets available on the DLS and elsewhere. There is also payware but we've had payware for a long time now. You don't have to buy it to run Trainz and never have had to.

Cheerio John

The simple fact is the business model is shifting, the days of buying a disc and owning a game are almost completely gone. Has its pro's and cons like everything else that evolves. Honestly surprised it took NV3 this long to jump on board, really thought this move would have came with T:ANE. $70 a few years ago would have been the end of trainz, yes. Right now it's probably right in line with all the other games, look at what ps4/xbox, etc games run. Even there, I think you have seen the last of the consoles that use a disk, i bet next gen will be all digital download.
When one Company rapes their customers, other Companies are quick to imitate, and follow suit, and jump onboard like the other companies did, and N3V is willing to rape their customers ... killing 99% of potential sales

Look...... For that $150 subscription you get all the DLC for no cost, to some that might seem like a bargain if you Collect stuff. Not my thing but I can see it would attract new users of the subscription software age.
It's a buyers choice and its nothing to do with you.
You have no access to N3V's sales figures or any idea how many people are signing up to subscriptions and how many are just buying the traditional way, which happens to be the same cost as TANE Deluxe was so what is your problem? Standard cost less as it was a cut down version, there isn't a cut down cheap version of TRS19 at the moment. So kindly stop posting Fake News based on your alternative reality in Dinosaur Land.

So ... for $70 you get the cut down base game, and TS19 base game never expires after 365 days, and it will play forever, without a subscription ?

And what you are getting is: Better graphics, in a brand new version (sure to be chock full of bugz, as 09, 10, 12, TMR, T:ANE were all buggy, and were progressively Game failures) ... so what we do get is: A brand new updated version of T:ANE ... a brand new failure ... with better graphics, and better lighting

For more money !

Last edited:
CascadeRailroad. I understand where you are at. I am drooling after 2019, but I have a subpar computer and no budget for anything new at this time. I could probably run it on this computer with the same jerky frame rates and long load times as T:ANE, but I can't see paying more money for that. At any rate, we are both in the same boat. But I am not holding it against N3V for their choice of business model. It is like everything else in life. We make our choices to stay with T:ANE, buy 2019 one-time, or go with the subscription model. Then we proceed and live with reality. This was debated hotly when they first announced it, and it will continue to get objections, but I think everyone's opinions have been fully aired on this by now. Enjoy what you have to the best degree you can!

Boo hoo... Merry Christmas, I hope you get the Christmas you deserve.
That was pretty off topic, and an insult ... What I am to get across is, that N3V is making a bad merchandising decision ... Turning off customers, and driving away 99% potential buyers, due to excessive price, and the game turning off at the end of 365 days

Last edited:
So ... for $70 you get the cut down base game, and TS19 base game never expires after 365 days, and it will play forever, without a subscription ?

And what you are getting is: Better graphics, in a brand new version (sure to be chock full of bugz, as 09, 10, 12, TMR, T:ANE were all buggy, and were progressively Game failures) ... so what we do get is: A brand new updated version of T:ANE ... a brand new failure ... with better graphics, and better lighting

The $70 version is the full thing, If you want DLC, you can buy it as you did with TANE TS12 and all the other versions, it also does not expire, a lot cheaper IMO if you don't need or want much DLC. Nothing changed for me.
Personally I'd rather pay for the $70 version now than tie myself down to something I may not be able to afford in the future, that expires on me.

And it just happens to be the best version ever released, I can say that as I have it and went through the pain of Beta Testing and watched it grow from very promising beginnings to the rather good version that has just been released, any bugs are very minor compared with what happened in the past, N3V has grown up.

Do you know they are turning away 99% of new buyers? Could they be pulling in more people at a lower price point? 15/month might be doable for a family to try trz19 vs $70 one payment and then be stuck with the software they can't use. Have you seen their numbers, for all we know, its helped push sales.

So you buy the $100 -$150 game ... what shuts off at the end of 365 days ? Just the DLC shuts off ?

Does the actual game terminate, and cease to function, after 365 days pass's ?

And what if you re-start the subscription back on again on the 720th day ... does all the shut off stuff magically come back on ?

Last edited:
well, although i said I would not be buying for 6 months, since most people seem happy with the new version ive just ordered a 1 Tb ssd to install both Tane and 2019 on and will give it a try

Cascade, i'll be buying it as a once off , as I am sure that many others will do ,as i have no need to get a constant stream of payware i ain't gonna use, if NV3 ARE putting off 99% of buyers, i'm sure they will junk the subscription service it that is the case....
I too don't like subscription products, Adobe are a pain in the butt with their refusal to sell stand alone copies of their software , so at least NV3 are still selling perpetual copies, of course, that may not be the case in the long run , so give them their due at least that they aren't just offering subscriptions ........

I dont thank there hurting, or they wouldn't have change to something different, I mean it pretty much comes down to which one you want, or you dont want it at all. Its not going to change a thing so I dont know what all the guff is about. Just my opinion.

The only thing that has changed is that you now have new options.
A single, one-off US$70 buys the game outright for you to keep forever, and to add to and update as you see fit.
The Gold Subscription leases the game for the duration of your payments and comes with a huge amount of extra benefits/ bundles of satisfaction.
TRS19 is easily the best railroad simulator out there: - It is head and shoulders better than T:ANE, though it benefits from all the goodness that was oh-so-painfully won during T:ANE's development.
So stop grizzling about the price - and spreading disinformation - I cannot think of a better investment you could make for the hours of pleasure this fantastic simulator brings!

Last edited:
Some people get off in "stirring the pot". To me, as I see it, I have 3 simple options;

(A) Buy TS2019 outright for $70 US bucks...

(B) Buy & regularly pay for one of the TS2019 & DLC subscription options...

(c) Do neither...

Me, I'm happy with having those simple options...

Cheers, Mac...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back