Time table and train order operation

horacefithers

There are a number of problems the make it difficult to run "full" time table and train order operation on a model railroad.

The biggies stem from the unfortunately finite size of even the largest railroads.

1. Not enough time between stations for the dispatcher to get orders dictated, ok'ed, and cleared before dashing off to handle the next train.
2. Nearly impossible to the dispatcher to recognize a log jam in the making and get orders/clearances out soon enough to make a difference.
3. Not enough room in the train room for operator desks for each station.
4. If one is silly enough to run according to SP TTTO rule books each station should have an annunciator a mile or more from the station so the train order operator at that station can be notified of an oncoming train (he then calls the dispatcher and asks "any orders west for station X?" If so the train order signal is left red, while the DS hurried dictates orders, otherwise the TO signal is set to green giving the oncoming train a free pass through the station. A mile on an HO layout is 60'

There are other issues:
1. White markers (for extras) and green signals (for following sections) aren't easily attached to model locomotives and if they are attached they're not easily seen.
2. Tomar train order semaphores, a couple of R/C model aircraft servos (to move the blades), and electronics are more than a little costly.
3. It can be difficult to find a time when a sufficiently large pool of operators can get together and run online.

Has anyone tried running formal timetable train order op sessions in Trainz (with dispatcher and operators are each station)?

What were your results?

Cheers,
HF

HF

I have been working on operating my sessions using Time Tables and Train Orders, as I operate in 1901.

What I hvae been building is using Trainz as the dispatcher.

Time Tables seem to be working using the Scheduler Rule.

However I just posted today asking if anyone had ideas how to create Train Orders for a consist?

I would be interested in how you have adopted Trainz for TT&TO

dave

Back