3 Way Junctions

In reality, no, or at least not in the way we have in Trainz. The closest thing is a very closed spaced 2 points with two levers. In Trainz, you see the 3 arrows. Clever, but I would like to see a lever that shows the direction of the points. I use one that is a metal arrow that works, but it is very limited as is hard to see at certain distance.

Check out frogpipe's '3 Way Switch Stand', <kuid:204652:100058>. It's designed specifically for three way switches and is able to show which way the switch it set by three metal arrows on the top of the switchstand, one point up (for straight), one pointing left, and another pointing right. It is based on one used by the Santa Fe and can be found at the Pacific Southwest Railway Museum in Campo, California.

In the days of stub switches*, 3-way switches were common as they were no more complicated than a 2-way switch.

*19th century, though isolated examples remained into the 1950's, and some probably still exist.

In the days of stub switches*, 3-way switches were common as they were no more complicated than a 2-way switch.

*19th century, though isolated examples remained into the 1950's, and some probably still exist.

As far as I know, the only surviving stub switches are found on tourist railways and railroad museums. However, some live steam railroads also use stub switches. I believe there's one at the Nevada State Railroad Museum and there's at least one at the Colorado Railroad Museum. I've found a picture of a three-way stub switch at the Orange Empire Railway Museum and there's a two-way stub switch also at the railroad museum. Link: http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/read.php?1,127952,128348

Last edited:
Hi!
It depends on the special regulations of the country.
For example here in Hungary they are not allowed since the 1950s.

Back