N3V is the reason the refelction simulation is GREEN on my Trucks (Bogies)

davesnow

Crabby Old Geezer
After much investigation, I have discovered N3V has made many of my Trucks (Bogies) BUILT-IN items. As a result, the reflection simulations that previously were okay in T:ANE, TS12, and before are now a sickly green in these Built-In items.

Since they are now Built-In I cannot "fix" them.

And since this has happened, I have become very disillusioned with the whole Trainz game. I know it's a little thing, but I just can't stand those green reflections. Phooey.

After much investigation, I have discovered N3V has made many of my Trucks (Bogies) BUILT-IN items. As a result, the reflection simulations that previously were okay in T:ANE, TS12, and before are now a sickly green in these Built-In items.
If they are built-in then it is now a N3V responsibility to fix them. You should submit a ticket to the help desk requiring that they be repaired. It is not acceptable that the product is sold with faulty built-in content.

Got some kuids Dave? I cant find any builtins under bogies or Train components or searching builtin and payware? I've had a look and fixed this one from the DLS <kuid2:101046:101315:1> Barber S-2 Trucks 40 in wheels DES which was green, isn't now, we have other methods in the CRG, Just added the missing texture to the mesh file which seems to have worked.
It's just possible if there are builtins they can be edited, if not the originals can probably still be downloaded and fixed.

I know of one, but it is a clone of one of Dave's tank cars: <kuid:135014:100333> Golden Peanut Tank Car NATX. I noticed this green wheel anomaly a while ago and changed bogies to fix it on my installation.

New bogies: <kuid2:103021:112976:3>

Old bogies: <kuid:101046:100886>

Last edited:
<kuid:101046:100886> has an update: <kuid2:101046:100886:1> That's what was installed on my system. The only one of Dave's assets I see labeled as built-in is <kuid:101046:102201> House Fall 2014 01-D DES.

<kuid2:101046:101332:1> Barber S-2 Trucks 33 inch wheels DES
<kuid:101046:102212> Barber CQGY Trucks Darker DES
<kuid:101046:104481> Barber S-2-b Trucks Black Reefer DES
<kuid2:101046:101865:1> Barber S-2 Trucks 40 in wheels Dark Grey DES
<kuid2:101046:101315:1> Barber S-2 Trucks 40 in wheels DES
<kuid2:101046:100886:1> Barber S-2 Trucks BLACK DES
<kuid:101046:102486> Barber S-2-b Trucks BlackDES
<kuid2:101046:102250:1> Barber S-2 Trucks new DES
<kuid2:101046:101277:4> Barber S-2-b Trucks DES
<kuid:101046:103223> Barber S-2-b Trucks Dk Brn DES
<kuid2:101046:103262:1> Trucks for Spine Cars DES

I'll have a look tomorrow and see if I can sort them, the one I did was straight forward, they are too good bogies not to fix! I'm in the Content Repair group so they would probably end up on the list anyway.

N3V really should fix this green reflection bug ... It never was a bug in any other Trainz version ... It really makes N3V look bad, making TS19 look like it is a "Yet Another Broken Buggy Defective Unfinished Beta Trainz Program"

Yet all we get is: "It is not N3V's fault, that creators for a decade, have been creating things all wrong for 10 years time"

Last edited:
It's NOT a bug! It is merely the method our Devs chose to indicate the fact that there is a missing texture in the location shown by the 'something's missing' green and pink colours.
Find the correct texture, or a suitable substitute, and replace that texture and the problem goes away.
In other words, Don't shoot the messenger!

Last edited:
So what you are telling me is that this Green/Pink reflection, is from when a creator does not have the "Env Metal" texture (that almost all other creators included for decades) in their asset ?

Good Afternoon All
It appears that our team has used some assets from the DLS which may have included this issue, and this was not picked up by them when included.

As has been outlined previously, this issue is caused by a necessary texture file not being referenced in the material configuration of the mesh (in this case, the reflection texture has not been referenced in a material setup for reflection); or the reflection image is missing from the asset in a material that is referencing a reflection image. In either case, this will cause a placeholder image (which is designed to look bad, so as to make it obvious that there is an issue) to be used in it's place.

Since this is a mesh issue, it will generally require access to the source files to resolve this issue.

@Davesnow
If you can contact the helpdesk with the kuids of the built-in assets that show this issue, we should be able to provide editable copies of the local assets back to you. Alternatively, you can also download the asset as a cdp file, and then install this into Trainz. Once installed it will open the 'built-in' version for edit, which you will then be able to submit (built-in assets do not have the same restrictions as 'payware'). I have used this method to overwrite a few built-in assets with DLS versions so I could make adjustments before making updates.

Regards

Just a curiosity, because everyone jumps on the copyright bandwagon so often regarding distribution of assets. I am assuming Dave Snow explicitly signed the rights to his assets over to N3V for use in TS2019, and signed away his rights to be able to alter or repair them? Just curious how that works....

Hi Forester1
The assets were included under the DLS Upload agreement which allows us to include any DLS content in commercial releases (such as built-in in Trainz, or as part of DLC packs). Generally it is still up to the creator to repair or update their own content, and no limitations are placed on releasing updated assets by them. However if necessary (in particular if the creator no longer has the source files, or is no longer active, or if there is a time requirement for updating them) we can update these internally, and then release the update onto the DLS. However generally for mesh updates/fixes it would be up to the creator to resolve, since we don't have the source files.

Regards

Post #8 shows the bogies that show green on the wheel flanges.

I also made simulated reflection on the mirrors on most of my locomotives but they no longer work either.

I looked for the source files of the bogies, but I think I must have lost them when I had a PC crash several years ago. I don't have them anymore I don't think.

I will never make anything else with simulated reflections again. Never. From now on my stuff will be plain Jane.

Just a curiosity, because everyone jumps on the copyright bandwagon so often regarding distribution of assets. I am assuming Dave Snow explicitly signed the rights to his assets over to N3V for use in TS2019, and signed away his rights to be able to alter or repair them? Just curious how that works....

The content creator can always upload a new version with a higher kuid. This is a typical problem for content creators an error is made when creating the content but it still works with a lower version of Trainz, its only when the content is used with a later version that the error becomes apparent. It's very frustrating for the content creators, I think I needed to update the way the texture is applied to something like a hundred assets once. What was even more frustrating is they had been reskinned many times by a number of people and I was unable to update these reskins by copying in the updated mesh.

Cheerio John

@ Dave and all interested parties!
I'm halfway through fixing them, done 7 so far. I've up-versioned them edited the mesh to include the diffuse and had to make them 3.5 as that's the minimum build the DLS is accepting, so Dave if you are OK with this I can let you have the updated versions and you can check they are OK and then upload them and hopefully solve the problem.

Edit: Now all fixed. They are shiny now but not as shiny in TRS19 as in TANE and no longer Green!
I found 15 of them that were Green, still OK in TANE, I did check.

Dave you have a pm.

Last edited:
Back