Questions: available tunnel-making content for TS12

JonMyrlennBailey

I don't know if there is any tunnel content available to construct the following:

An American standard-gauge tunnel to support a two-track system that conforms to the loading gauge of modern rolling stock including double-stack well cars and tri level autoracks.

What tunnel, track, portal, tunnel floor content is needed by proper name and KUID, please.

Are these items fixed objects, spline objects, track and/or track-side objects?

Are these available from DLS or another resource?

Last edited:
Check out user BERNARDUS_61
Tunnels are spline but you have to put the track through ( better to lay track and then add tunnel in wire grid view to set tunnel heights )if track is level set one end and set height . tunnel grades are a little more difficult
They need dig holes and portals .
Tunnels are high enough and wide enough for what you want but you will have to place rolling stock in opening to see if portal is high enough.
I'm using them in Tane but had them in TS12 as well
A bit of fiddling around but you can set them at any angle to base boards

You could (as I just did) type in Title: "Tunnel" and that would bring up 1483 TS12 (or lower trainz-build tunnels)

The DLS is a very user unfriendly site, and no one (but me) is going to hold your hand and lead you to wade through all the jumbled up mess of absolute garbage that the DLS is, as it is chock full of Crylic nonsensical names, multiple cloned generic images that show absolutely nothing about the asset, or No Image Available", or have a image that is so low quality that it doesn't even look like anything recognizable

Then there are the wondrously helpful creators who helped us all out so greatly by naming absolutely ludicrous, nonsensical, named assets like:
Waschenlaunge
EG Walddoerferbahn Durchgangstunnel
MK-tunnelroehre_2gl-4,5 MK-tunnelportal_2gl-4,5

Then there are the mindless, endless array of the multitudes of stupid looking monstrosities "Big Block Head" portal "Snap To Grid" tunnels that need to have the the "Snap To Grid" disabled by editing the config file changing the tunnel height to -1, which eradicates the dighole completely requiring you to manually place your own 1x1 dighole by hand instead

Then there are the absolutely fabulously stunning assets by Fred24 like: "Tunnel 3_1 voie" which is broken from the get go ... but once you edit the config file and fix it shows up like a shining gem of a tunnel (I can show you how to fix it)

Search https://www.auran.com/DLS/ Title:
2tracks
2 track
2_tracks
double track

Tunnel Hermosa UP
Tunnel 2track
WS Portal-Tunnel
Tunnel_Stone TRS 2012
old stone tunnel 2 track TRS 2012
Tunnel_Concrete_2Tracks_WideOpening
Tunnel_Concrete_2Tracks_SquareOpening
Tunnel_Modern_Square_2Tracks_1
Nex 2t grey Stone tunnel mouth
Nex 2t Duchy Stone tunnel mouth
Tunnel Double Track
UK Tunnel 2track stone
JMA SHINKANSEN TUNNEL A
Detailed Tunnel 1
Cuk-Tunnel-Entrance
NEX Greybrick 2 track Tunnel mouth (10m)
SF tunnel1r stone dble retaining

My suggestion is: Abandon Trainz and find another more enjoyable hobby, as Trainz has completely wasted 10 years of my life, and is a ridiculously overly complex program

As for your blob of a mountain that resembles "Stone Mountain" in Georgia ... I would eradicate the whole idea of the mountain completely, and flatten the mountain, and put in Portals that consume and emit trains automatically

Last edited:
Then there are the wondrous creators who helped us all out greatly by naming absolutely ludicrous, nonsensical, named assets like:
Waschenlaunge
EG Walddoerferbahn Durchgangstunnel
MK-tunnelroehre_2gl-4,5 MK-tunnelportal_2gl-4,5

If you modelled German railways then you would know what those items are.

Did you know that America is not the only country in the world and that other nations speak different languages?

As for the OP eradicating his route, then that is just a rediculous statement.

If you hate Trainz then why are you still here?

Close the door on the way out.

When I built my ugly tunnels from misc. spline material. I laid the tracks, set the grade, smoothed the spline under the tracks to create elevated embankment then built my tunnels. I then raised the ground to create the mountain covering the tunnel portion of the line. I lock all tunnel spline points in place before raising the ground above them. Once the tunnel and track goes underground it is very difficult to make spline adjustments. I then punched in digholes at tunnel entrances and fabricated the horrible portals out of spline material to conceal the rough dighole edges completely. I then adjusted ground topology around the portals for a neater appearance and textured the terrain and added trees in the area. In Trainz, I often find bridge construction easier to deal with than tunnel construction. Having graded and/or curved tunnels adds more work. Of course during construction or tunnels, bridges, yard flood light towers, track side objects as buildings and trees and overhead crossing utility lines, I place the tallest, widest and longest rolling stock on the tracks and check for clearances. I like to use big SD40 series locomotives, Big Boy steam engines, long-wheelbase Pullman heavyweight cars, GP9 series engines (they have low, protruding steps on the sides which may rub platforms that are too close) , tri-level autoracks and double-stack well cars as the ultimate "loading gage yardsticks".

Last edited:
If you modelled German railways then you would know what those items are.
Did you know that America is not the only country in the world and that other nations speak different languages?
Well brilliant ... That solves the whole problem in a nutshell

Which language is mostly spoken in world ? So, here's the Top 10 of the most spoken languages: Mandarin Chinese, as already seen. Spanish, which is spoken in 31 countries, mostly spread out in Latin America (this and Spain). Spanish boasts of around 400 million speakers.

translate using Bing: 我們都應該用普通話說和打字 And search the DLS for: "wǒ men dōu yìng gāi yòng pǔ tōng huà shuì hé dǎ zì-Tunnel 2 Track"

Don't give me that load of garbage about languages, when you knew perfectly well when you named the asset, that people right next door, 50 miles away, within eyesight, in 13 neighboring Countries, that they all would have absolutely no idea, not even a clue, of what your language says in the assets name

Donaudampfschifffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesell-2 Track Tunnel

Last edited:
Here's a real solution: Instead of making a mountain, and having the tunnel go overtop .. why not make a hidden underground loop, or hidden underground staging yard, or on the other side of a wall/backdrop particion (in another room) ... and the heck with viewing what's inside the tunnel, aka: light leaks

110430WestStaging.jpg

I know your madness about the DLS ... I searched 1483 tunnel assets and found 5 that were usable, and were not total garbage

Last edited:
I just love my pretty mountain. I don't have a staging area like some physical modelers have but a small yard on the train table in the train room. I could make the addition of a staging room just for fun or just have it underneath the bench surface.

Sometimes you need to differentiated between the 2 words: Pretty, and Petty ... and totally redesign the entire idea from scratch, to make a feasible working alternative ... You just can't retrofit and fix ... broken, or busted

Model railroads, and Trainz Modelz layouts, are actually often quite easily modified and most certainly never, ever, complete.

This is the beauty of model trains: start small and forever expand.

I once spent well over 3 1/2 years on my old Horseshoe Curve route, and totally irreparably deformed the DEM terrain, making the gradient an erroneous +1.75% from Atoona, all the way to Tunnelhill ... It was all totally wrong, and totally unfixable ... I spent 3 days debating the alternatives ... then I hit "Delete Route" ... and I actually cried for 3 hours ... but I got over it ... another time my PC died and I lost everything ... What a relief it was to have nothing at all left ... I started over again ... Today my route is 1.09GB in size, from Harrisburg/Enola to Pittsburgh/Conway ... and the gradients are absolutely perfect from east of Lewistown, all the to CP Conpit (a couple miles west of Johnstown) ... and I now realize that may be the total realistic scope of my capabilities of completing it inside of my lifetime

Last edited:
Back