Do I need FCT to download a purchase?

gd5150

I just purchased Trainz Mac 2. Downloading it got to 1GB and came to a stop. Do I need FCT to download this purchase at a reasonable speed?

From my understanding, the FCT is for downloads from the DLS only. Downloads from the Trainz Store or from the DLC are always provided at the fastest rate that your ISP and the intervening Internet networks will allow.

Last edited:
Not being a MAC person, so I don't know what is available to you. They did suggest using a download program so that if it fails you restart from the failure point.

From my understanding, the FCT is for downloads from the DLS only. Downloads from the Trainz Store or from the DLC are always provided at the fastest rate that your ISP and the intervening Internet networks will allow.

This is correct.

I got it to work. Had to pause and continue the download several times. It kept stopping. I was using Safari. Could be my WiFi connection, hard to say. Anyways all is well. And side note, the program works great. On my 2011 iMac with 512MB VRAM.

I use Safari for large downloads daily and never have any issues... On a Mac you can use Activity Monitor app (in utilities folder) to monitor your Network. Launch it and click the "Network" tab. It will show packets and data in and out. See if downloads start out strong and then taper off... if so your ISP is likely throttling your downloads.

It might have been that because it stopped as soon as it hit 1GB. And each time I’d pause and restart it would start strong and then trickle down. It was prime time on Saturday night so could’ve been the servers, or throttling. Who knows.

I use Safari for large downloads daily and never have any issues... On a Mac you can use Activity Monitor app (in utilities folder) to monitor your Network. Launch it and click the "Network" tab. It will show packets and data in and out. See if downloads start out strong and then taper off... if so your ISP is likely throttling your downloads.

Tried to PM you but I don’t think it’s going through. Just wondered what kind of impact the SSD drive made on Trainz on your iMac? I’ve considered adding one.

Sorry, I had the SSD in before I started with Trainz. (both my iMac and MBP). I've only been a "Trainz-er" since Oct. Since Trainz does so much pre-cacheing I don't know if it makes a difference. I can say, it made a very noticeable difference in my every day Mac work. My "open with" (right click on file) contextual menu would sometimes take 5-6 seconds to "scan" and present the options (apps)... now it is almost instantaneous. That's just one of many practical examples.

btw... I see I do have PM's. Sorry, haven't been on forums for a bit...

Back