Newbie.. I Have TRS19.. Should I go "backwards" and run TANE too?

1611mac

- - . -
I got bit by the railroad sim bug in October so I promptly purchased TRS19 Early Access. I'm wondering if I should also obtain T:ANE if only for access to more routes, etc? Being new to Trainz I don't know how quickly TRS19 routes will become available. I'm currently running at all lowest settings on an iMac so it's not like I'll really miss any better graphics, etc. However, I am planning to obtain a "medium" setup PC after the new year.

Should I obtain T:ANE to add to TRS19 or not? How quickly will T:ANE fade away???? Perhaps the T:ANE Platinum edition?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

I would not look back ... I suspect that TS19 (and the NEXT newer version, after that, eventually) will break all assets in 04, 06, 09, 10, 12 and T:ANE, making them unusable.. Someone said that when an asset is updated, the original asset is still on the DLS, ready to be uploaded ... But this is a lie ... as when the "Update Team" updates an asset, it totally eradicates the "older version", and 04, 06, 09, 10 assets are now only available in TS12 version trainz-build ... Soon all the updates will totally eradicate 04, 06, 09, 10, 12 version trainz-build assets

If you go backwards to a lower version (04, 06, 09, 10), you need to backdate all the higher assets, and all their dependencies (T:ANE) to be TS12, or even lower trainz-build ... and backdating is a real PITA

Someday the NEXT NEXT NEXT Newer Trainz version will totally break the program, and then all lower versions assets will be totally dead in the water

Nobody really sees that these newer higher trainz-build versions deviously sabotage all lower Trainz assets

Last edited:
Have a look on the DLS. Generally speaking if it runs in TS12 or TANE it should run in TS19. Some older assets from even TRS2004 especially scenery ones will still work others may need to be corrected.

Cheerio John

Yes... I got a couple of TS19 compatible TANE routes when they were on sale but they were shown as TS19 compatible and I had no problems with any built in TANE assets missing. My frustration is with Freeware and such.

I tried the HO scale St Louis freeware, found a lot of the missing Dependencies but several key items where TANE built in and not on DS. Also couldn't find some signals so the route wouldn't work at spots. (Nothing found on Trainz:Kuid:index or DS or web search) - I guess I'll just stick with TS19 routes. Should be plenty to keep me busy. But saw some TANE routes I was interested in so thought I'd ask about TANE.....

Thanks.

The T:ANE built-ins are supposed to make it up to the DLS as well as the TS12 built-ins. Tony has mentioned that a number of times in the past. It may have a lot to do with assets needing repairs, which the Content Repair Group (CRG) has been going through. There are some things that I know of that need some "extra care" to bring them up to standards. , there are also scripts that need decrypting and a lot of stuff that needs N3V's attention as well.

I agree, TRS19 is far better than TANE and while I will still use TANE until TRS19 is fully "settled in", I am moving over to the new program.

I suspect that TS19 (and the NEXT newer version, after that, eventually) will break all assets in 04, 06, 09, 10, 12 and T:ANE, making them unusable.. Someone said that when an asset is updated, the original asset is still on the DLS, ready to be uploaded ... But this is a lie ... as when the "Update Team" updates an asset, it totally eradicates the "older version", and 04, 06, 09, 10 assets are now only available in TS12 version trainz-build ... Soon all the updates will totally eradicate 04, 06, 09, 10, 12 version trainz-build assets

Cascade keeps bringing this up and giving it life. Each time he points to an old asset that has been updated to TANE standard and claims that it is no longer available on the DLS in its original form for older Trainz versions, he has been proven wrong. Assets, old or new, are only ever removed from the DLS if it has been shown that they have violated someones copyright.

Someday the NEXT NEXT NEXT Newer Trainz version will totally break the program, and then all lower versions assets will be totally dead in the water

"Break the program" is the wrong choice of words. Eventually N3V and us users will have to bite the bullet and ignore all the older assets that will not meet the standard of that future Trainz version and cannot be updated without violating the creators rights. This move will improve the performance and visual appearance of the program enormously. However, for those who cannot break from the past, those old assets will still be available on the DLS for use by the legacy Trainz programs and legacy Trainz users.

Nobody really sees that these newer higher trainz-build versions deviously sabotage all lower Trainz assets

Even if that is true (very unlikely) only a few people like Cascade would be likely to care. Some people collect and lovingly restore old cars, but most people just want a better performing car. The majority of the Trainz community want to move on with better graphics and better performance. After TRS19 is up and running to my satisfaction, I will delete TANE from my system, just as I have deleted every previous version of Trainz when they were superseded.

Forwards, not backwards.

After trying to work it out with T:ANE, on the same computer, I can say TRS19 runs way better, not looking back at T:ANE after.

Should I obtain T:ANE to add to TRS19 or not? How quickly will T:ANE fade away???? Perhaps the T:ANE Platinum edition? Thanks in advance for your comments.

Mac, clearly TS2019 is going to be far better that Tane SP3, once a few warts have been sorted out. I have no idea how long it's going to take N3V to sort out those warts. They seem to be working really hard to try and get them sorted out ASAP.

My thoughts; seeing you already have TS2019 early release, I'd be inclined to wait until N3V have Tane SP3 "on sale" next, then look at picking up the Tane SP3 Platinum Addition Package. (great value for the money). That way you have the best of both worlds, including access to dozens of existing Tane routes & sessions already on the DLS, to keep you busy in the meantime...

Cheers, Mac...

Last edited:
TRS19 is where T:ANE should have been on release. Since the earliest test release, I've been using TRS19 exclusively for my Trainzing purposes, and I haven't touched T:ANE since except to check out content differences and to transfer missing assets for my routes.

It's not just about the graphics either. The performance is far better even compared to T:ANE. Performance wise, I can't say it's any hardware differences because I run both on the same computer system. Graphics wise, yes this is a nice environment to work in. The lighting is less brutal once adjusted and the shadows playing about in the trees while driving does bring life to the routes that wasn't there even with T:ANE where the shadows were first introduced.

Last edited:
So ... After TRS2006 was unsupported ... all the versions 09, 10, 12, and T:ANE should have never been invented ? ? ?

You should have passed GO ... and gone directly to TS19

Last edited:
So ... After TRS2006 was unsupported ... all the versions 09, 10, 12, and T:ANE should have never been invented ? ? ?

I have no idea what that means. Are you saying that there should have been no more versions of Trainz after TRS2006? Or that TRS2006, 09, 10,12, TANE should all be supported with updates and improvements forever?

I have no idea what that means. Are you saying that there should have been no more versions of Trainz after TRS2006? Or that TRS2006, 09, 10,12, TANE should all be supported with updates and improvements forever?
That is NOT what I said ... You have a way of twisting statements around and making them confusing.

Meaning that all versions created after the un-support of TRS2006, were essentially test beta's, and they all were never really quite finished programs, worthy of release, as they were essentially faulty failure programs still chock full of bugz ... had N3V come out with TS19, right after TRS2006 was unsupported ... 09, 10, 12, and T:ANE would have been unnecessary programs ... But as the premature release(s) of 09, 10, 12, and T:ANE helped pave the way of Trainz, testing the water, improving Trainz through many trial and error build updates ... It seems that TS19 is the final Trainz program (that is, until the newer NEXT NEXT TS20 is released, making TS19 obsolete)

Cascade keeps bringing this up and giving it life. Each time he points to an old asset that has been updated to TANE standard and claims that it is no longer available on the DLS in its original form for older Trainz versions, he has been proven wrong. Assets, old or new, are only ever removed from the DLS if it has been shown that they have violated someones copyright.
I can prove you are wrong about this

As with Trev999 - Directional Speed Retarder <KUID:160293:100123> there used to be a trainz-buld 2.4 version ... since it has been updated to TS09, and then to TS12 ... the older 2.4 trainz-build version has been totally eradicated from the DLS ... now the only Trev999 Directional Speed Retarder is the TS09 version <KUID:160293:100123>, and the TS12 version <KUID2:160293:100123:1>

Likewise with Trev999 - Directional Speed Retarder V2 - <kuid:160293:100124> ... it is no longer on the DLS, and has been totally eradicated, and there is no higher trainz-build updated version

So assets ARE being (possibly unintentionally) wiped off, from the DLS, by content update teams

Last edited:
As with Trev999 - Directional Speed Retarder <KUID:160293:100123> there used to be a trainz-buld 2.4 version ... since it has been updated to be TS12 ... the older versions have been totally eradicated from the DLS ... now the only Trev999 Directional Speed Retarder is <KUID2:160293:100123:1>
No. There are both versions on the DLS - the original (which was 2.9, not 2.4) and the updated (3.5)
y4mXQNk53_k41yGj_0EUupQVY7Wc_RRvSisrQoTRGPpYO1ostgicjaAxDwZTNmiooRM2s4rERiRQDdnQ19-Iyfiqrc_PKyngr49-rLinb4gSUnvBhQWDK2Ko3_4Tfv1Iuf_gxr9ml6pXJwkPpTECaMpzj0u3gwJ_4Pgd8XTpvNC_Zu-7MCb3HiVqC-9DT0iSVfoQViWijMP_NiXJxX0LpypSw

Something that has been totally eradicated from the DLS is a different issue - nothing to do with versions. AFAICT <kuid:160293:100124> has never existed anywhere.

The Trev999 - Directional Speed Retarder <KUID:160293:100123> there used to be a trainz-build 2.4 version ... since it has been updated to TS09, and then further updated to TS12 ... The trainz-build 2.4 version was eradicated from the DLS

AFAICT <kuid:160293:100124> has never existed anywhere.
Then how did I, in fact, download it from the DLS, onto my Trainz CM, and now it is not there on the DLS ?

Last edited:
The Trev999 - Directional Speed Retarder <KUID:160293:100123> there used to be a trainz-build 2.4 version ... since it has been updated to TS09, and then further updated to TS12 ... The trainz-build 2.4 version was eradicated from the DLS
If you want to assert that you will need to provide some evidence. No-one else has reported experiencing this. Seems to me much more likely that you had a 2.4 build version that you had backdated from the 2.9 version.

But in any case this is not what you originally described - your claim was that the TS12 version deleted all the earlier ones. The earlier version clearly still exists. Your new description is that some earlier update changed the build number from 2.4 to 2.9. If you want to make these sorts of claims you need to get your story straight.

Last edited:
I just wanted to point this out ... that "Stuff Happens" and when someone updates an old asset improperly, it can totally eradicate the original asset, and place the 09 update config file, right inside the original 04 asset, replacing the 04 config file right inside the original 04 asset, with an 09 config file ... thereby wiping out the original 04 asset, that now shows it was erroneously created using TS09

Everybody says that this never happens ... and that it can not possibly happen ... but things "Do Happen"

Last edited:
That is NOT what I said ... You have a way of twisting statements around and making them confusing.

Sorry if I have confused you. My answer was not a twisting of your statement to confuse, but an attempt to try to understand what you were saying by putting forward the two possibilities that came to mind.

Meaning that all versions created after the un-support of TRS2006, were essentially test beta's, and they all were never really quite finished programs, worthy of release, as they were essentially faulty failure programs still chock full of bugz

This is true of every program ever released by every software developer. You could claim that Trainz 2006 was a test beta, as was Trainz 2004, all the way back to the original Trainz. Every version of Trainz was "still chock full of bugz" and all those bugs were never fully removed (is that ever possible?) before the next version was released.

This argument fills these forums every time a new version is released - "Why didn't they fix all the bugs in Trainz [insert version here] before they released this heap of rubbish!" etc, etc. "Why didn't Microsoft fix all the bugs in Windows 3.1 before they released Windows XP", etc. And my favourite - "Windows Vista was the best version ever released, why did they ruin it with Windows 7", etc.

Trainz 2009 (not my favourite) was an improvement on Trainz 2006, Trainz 2010 was an improvement on 2009, TS12 was the best of all its predecessors (in my opinion). All of these have been incremental improvements with new features and new bugs. That is how the software industry mostly works. Rarely do you get a revolutionary new product straight out of "left field".

Hindsight is a truly wonderful gift - it allows you to look back at a superseded product with full knowledge of the current product and see how bad it really was. It is a pity that this gift only comes to us after the replacement product has arrived. If I had known about all the problems with Windows XP, Vista, 7 and lets not forget 8, I would have waited until 10 arrived! Likewise, if I had known about all the poor graphics, lack of features and the bugs in Trainz UTC, I would have waited until they released TRS19. But all those "inbetween" versions of both Windows and Trainz have served a useful purpose and have not been a waste of time and effort. [Am I twisting statements here again? I apologise if I am]

Only Trev999 can confirm or deny your claim, in any case I could not improve on Sailor's response.

Things do happen, even with the best safeguards. But the sky is not falling.

Back