Disappearing signals

pepperref

I was trying to get some AI trains to run on the Tidewater route and while looking in Map View I noticed some signals in Map View that disappear when you zoom in. I'm wondering if these are causing problems for the AI trains but if I can't see them, can my AI trains see them? Can they be deleted? Any advice is appreciated.

If you go about "Deleting" all kinds of things, with reckless abandon, deleting things that people purposely put in there for you to use on their route, you may, and probably will, break a route ... "Delete Missing Assets" button can irreparably break a route in no time flat

In general, signals or any track objects that are invisible to us in driver mode are still visible to all trains. I do not have the Tidewater route so I am unable to give any advice except to say that anything placed in a route by the creator is almost always there for a purpose (that almost sounds religious) so deleting assets simply because you cannot see them is not normally a good idea unless you know exactly what you are doing and have backup copies of the original.

I am working on a backup copy of the original. These signals are visible at altitude in Map View in Surveyor Mode, then disappear when zooming in in Surveyor mode. What if I wanted to try deleting these specific signals with surgical precision, rather than reckless abandon? I'm willing to suffer the consequences of my actions.

It is possible that they could be some legacy assets or "ghosts" from an earlier version by the route creator. The early versions of TANE were notorious for those ghosts of deleted assets. Certainly delete them from your working copy to see if they make any difference and if trouble strikes, restore the backup.

I can't tell. They disappear before I can get close enough to see what they are. I don't know if they function. If they are functional, they may be messing up my AI engineers.

Are you using TANE or TRS19?

Using your working (not the backup) version of the route, select the Main Menu option Delete Missing Assets. Then check again. Any difference?

Thank you for all your input.

I made another backup copy and used the Delete Missing Assets function. The mysterious vanishing signals have disappeared completely. As far as I'm concerned - problem solved.

But now you need to put some sort of signal back in at every place, route wide, because you deleted them all

I doubt it. This sounds like the T:ANE ghost asset issue, which leaves bits and things on the map even after being deleted. The assets aren't there; just their ghosts, and don't cause any harm other than annoying us that they show up in the map. This was most apparent when merging routes together and or deleting baseboards. After deleting baseboards, even if you removed track and everything, if you zoomed out you would see signals and switches floating off in space where the tracks once were.

Running DLM didn't always fix the problem in T:ANE, but the problem is now gone in TRS19.

Ghosts ... That's just too spooky

Trivia: Speaking of Ghosts: "Casper the Friendly Ghost" died from influenza or pneumonia, because he didn't follow his Mothers warning to come inside soon, getting wet and cold, playing out in the snow, sledding all day ... What a creepy cartoon that was

Back