Can't save session alone - wants to also save route

The route layer may be locked but it does not stop something being altered. Lock the route and add a ground texture and the route layer will accept it. II is only locked against moving anything.

That is because textures are NOT saved in a layer, not even the route-layer. They are saved in the Route itself.

Other "things" that are saved in the Route but not in any route layer are landforms and camera positions.

This implies that I can change/add objects/tracks that are on the Route layer. However, other parts of the writeup make it sound as if all changes go to the Session Layer.

I have been using the UDS to switch back and forth a fair bit over the last few weeks and I have noticed the following points.

• If you use the Bulk Update/Replace tool just on assets that are in the route layers, then the save function will always assume that you want to save the session as well - the "Do not save session" option is not selected. On those occasions I simply select the "Do not save session" option and carry on with no ill effects.
  • If you change the name of a nameable scenery object, such as a station name board, even if the asset is in a route layer, then the save function will always assume that you want to save the session as well - the "Do not save session" is not selected. My solution is the same as above, again with no ill effects. I did report this as a bug but was assured by QA that this was a necessary process for the UDS.

If I make a change to the route I'm OK with saving both route and session. But if I make a session or make a change to the session I don't want to have to save the route.

I've worked my way through importing my T:ANE routes and layouts into TRS19. In TRS19 some insist on saving the route when I make a session, some don't.

The ones which insist on saving the route when saving a session are:
Deepwater
Federal Street
IntenCity
Krashnburne
Port Loleta.

The ones where I can save just the session are:
Clear Lake (both versions)
Inglenook Industrial
Trinity Bay

I can't find any common differentiating features between those that do and those that don't.

I've contacted the Help Desk to ask if their Top Men can provide a solution.

Phil

I get the same situation Phil. There are times when I add a boxcar to a session and I get told to save both the session and the route then there are others when I only need to save the session. This is on the same route and sometimes within a few minutes.

I don't know why. Thinking that maybe I crossed wires or something and did something in the session that was supposed to go on the route, I created a brand new session and still get the same results so now when asked to save the route and session I do so and the same with saving the session only.

Confused...

The fact that this thread has run for 5 pages (45 posts) and counting indicates that the whole concept of routes, sessions and saving is badly confusing to many people, even veteran users. And don't mention layers..ugh!

I think the more experienced of us do know a bit about routes, sessions and layers. My hope is that somewhere deep down in the N3V bunker:

The fact that this thread has run for 5 pages (45 posts) and counting indicates that the whole concept of routes, sessions and saving is badly confusing to many people, even veteran users. And don't mention layers..ugh!

Yes it is especially the layers thing which really needs work.

I wonder if the concept of routes vs. sessions will be going away eventually. The unified driver/surveyor thing makes this difference quite blurry now since there are implications now of saving an active driving session and ending up with AI consists out of starting position forever.

Your video says it all Phil! :hehe:

I am trying to add sessions to a route which is not mine but is at Build 4.6.
If I import a Build 4.5 session, open it, do nothing to it, try to save it, I cannot save the session without saving the route.
If I open the route, create a new session, try to save the session, I cannot save the session without saving the route.

If a major aim of TRS19 is to facilitate cooperative route and session development, this problem shoots that possibility down in flames. It is a showstopper.

pitkin --

Can I make a suggestion that you could try? I suspect that the issue might be related to Content Manager and the fact that the route is from the Download Station under my kuid.

Give the route a different kuid, one in your series. See if you can make and save a session without saving the route. If you can edit the session config.txt file to point it to my route.

Tell us if this works. Or not.

Phil

pitkin --

Can I make a suggestion that you could try? I suspect that the issue might be related to Content Manager and the fact that the route is from the Download Station under my kuid.

Give the route a different kuid, one in your series. See if you can make and save a session without saving the route. If you can edit the session config.txt file to point it to my route.

Tell us if this works. Or not.

Phil

This has worked for me in the past. It seems to work with some routes and not others. I thought it was related to the build number. However, I tried the 2 routes in question all the way back to TANE SP4, and one of the routes insists on saving a new route.

Because the session is linked to the route, it needs the actual route worked on. When it says save route and session just select ok. This saves both route and session under your kuid. Work on the session and when finished change the map-kuid and kuid-table in the session to the original route.

Because the session is linked to the route, it needs the actual route worked on. When it says save route and session just select ok. This saves both route and session under your kuid. Work on the session and when finished change the map-kuid and kuid-table in the session to the original route.

I don't know if this will work or not. If I intend to upload the session eventually, it would be weeks of work for nothing if it did not. Also, it is not clear what the situation would be for whomever downloaded it.

The question remains, why does this map-kuid procedure work for some routes, and not the South Park Line?

Back