Can't save session alone - wants to also save route

Problem is still present, wants to save route and sessions still even though you didnt change anything to the route. This really needs to get looked at because for people that just like to create sessions for existing routes this is a nightmare.

I don't think you will be able to edit the session config files to work on an older route. Yes you can. Wake up. RJArtim

Last edited:
I am out of it for the rest of the day, just wanted fix "deleted" word I have put many. RJ Artim

Last edited:
Several of the routes that are built in or came with the TRS19 are version 4.3 and 4.4. Unfortunately I don't have TRS19. RJArtim

Last edited:
Is this problem going to get fixed? Not if you are trying to fix. RJArtim

Last edited:
I know this is an older thread, but I'm bumping it all the same.

I thought I'd go back to one of my older layouts, the T:ANE version of "IntenCity", and bring it up to TRS9 standards.

I imported it into TRS19, made a few changes and then "Save As" TRS19 - IntenCity".

However, when I create a session I'm asked if I want to save the route AND session. Whatever I do there is no option just to save the session, not the route.

Any suggestions? Maybe someone else would like to repeat my efforts and report if they have exactly the same problem.

Phil

If the route has been saved in a previous version of Trainz (build < 4.6), TRS19 wants to resave it in its own format.

Peter

Hi Peter --

Yes, that's right. Make some alterations to the route, or do a "Save As", and TRS19 does save the route in 4.6 format. That's fine by me and what I expect.

But every time I go to save a session it always wants to save the route too. And try as I might I can't find any way to avoid it.

If you like, download and install the same route that I've be using -- the T:ANE version of IntenCity. From a clean install of TRS19 it requires about 100 additional downloads from the DLS and will be missing some dependencies. If you do a sort by date in Manage Content after you fiddle with the route and try making a session you can easily remove the downloads.

I'd be very interested to see if anyone can get a result different from mine. Or confirm that they get the same result.

Phil

Not sure if this is helpful or adding just more confusion.. This wiki info is for the new UDS and may or may not affect other versions?? Things are "cloudy" as membership (gold/silver/platinum) also affects things. People using same release can see different feature sets based on membership.

Anyway... here's the new Save Session info (as I said, may not pertain to release you are running) See points 4, 5, 6 on saving Sessions.

http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Unified_Driver_Surveyor

Which release are you on?

The Wiki is not up-to-date: it says the old save game option in Driver has been removed, but it has been re-introduced by one of the recent patches as it was before.

From the wiki:
Ever find yourself testing a Session you're creating, and realise you need an extra signal? Or that a trackmark or trigger is misnamed or in the wrong location? Or perhaps you've just spotted a car floating above the carpark.
With UDS you can switch to Surveyor, correct the issue, then switch back and continue testing the Session without interruption.

This implies that I can change/add objects/tracks that are on the Route layer. However, other parts of the writeup make it sound as if all changes go to the Session Layer.

ETA: How can it switch back and forth "instantly" if it needs to save changes?

Last edited:
Hi Peter --

Yes, that's right. Make some alterations to the route, or do a "Save As", and TRS19 does save the route in 4.6 format. That's fine by me and what I expect.

But every time I go to save a session it always wants to save the route too. And try as I might I can't find any way to avoid it.

If you like, download and install the same route that I've be using -- the T:ANE version of IntenCity. From a clean install of TRS19 it requires about 100 additional downloads from the DLS and will be missing some dependencies. If you do a sort by date in Manage Content after you fiddle with the route and try making a session you can easily remove the downloads.

I'd be very interested to see if anyone can get a result different from mine. Or confirm that they get the same result.

Phil

I have TRS19, SP1, no upgrade memberships. I opened your 3.5 route and saved it as a 4.6, of course I had to save the route anyway because I am not you. I can open either the new route or the default session and add a loco, and have to overwrite the route and name a new session. Just as you seem to have to.

(In both cases, I had the route layer locked).

A question remains, however. Does "overwrite the route" CHANGE the route, or is it just some housekeeping?

Last edited:
It depends on what alterations you do. Remember some assets might be in the route layer but you might have changed something in the session that effected it. If I change the edit session schedule or add a new rule and save it only saves the session. If I change a name of a TM it wants to save both.

It depends on what alterations you do. Remember some assets might be in the route layer but you might have changed something in the session that effected it. If I change the edit session schedule or add a new rule and save it only saves the session. If I change a name of a TM it wants to save both.

Yes, but philskene's question remains. The route layer was locked, there was no indication during the edit that it had to be unlocked to complete the particular edit. Not only that, one loco was placed on a track.

Got it to work... but just once

Phil

I'm working in Trainz Plus 105100 (with UDS) and I was able to save just a session - but only a single time.
- Downloaded IntenCity 1a
- With IntenCity route selected I clicked VIEW SESSONS - there were none. (as expected in 105100)
- Clicked "Create Session"
- Without any changes immediately did a "Save As" “New Route and Session” and used new name interCity 1a - mod (the save also saves a “Default” session)
- Without exiting Surveyor, I selected and added a Steam Engine
- I then did a Save As and was able to save only a “session” which I named “steam”
- Exited session. I did indeed have two sessions “Default” and “Steam.”

WHEN THINGS GO BAD:
After the new session is saved the first time the above CANNOT be repeated. If I open the session I just created and immediately do a Save As I only get “Save Route and Session”.

So it appears that saving a new session works for me - but ONLY ONE TIME.

Last edited:
The route layer may be locked but it does not stop something being altered. Lock the route and add a ground texture and the route layer will accept it. II is only locked against moving anything.

FWIW

I downloaded the route with Session 1. Went into surveyor and saved in TRS19 under my id.

Edited the TRS19 version and got the same problem as Philskene. Created a new blank session and tried again. Same problem.

Even more interesting it seems that just rotating the initial camera position in surveyor by 180 and trying to save requires a save of both the route and session. There is something truly weird about the route.

Glenn

Guys --

Thanks for the feedback. It's reassuring to know that I'm not alone with this issue.

There are several of my older routes and layouts that I'd like to get into TRS19 but, unless N3V can come up with a solution ... .

I'll contact the Help Desk (again) and see if their top programmers and problem solvers can devise either a solution or a work round.

Thanks again to all of you,
Phil

Back