Reality Check at the Doctor's Office Yesterday

One of my ailments is Type 2 Diabetes and an added nuisance. Several years back when I discovered Trainz decided would try and build a bit of my city (Glasgow') old tramway system which was closed and lifted away back in 1962. Had managed to get a sketched giant map of every former route at a model rail show and although did not intend to build the whole dashed thing (had been the largest in GB outside of London) did manage the west of the city where I live. However like Caesar i got ambitious and over many months I actually walked every long closed route and traced where each terminus used to be. And what do you know folks I walked the whole 140 miles that had once existed!

Fortunately only once took a damn slight hypo so got back a mile on a bus to nearby town and cafe to sit in. Have still to upload that while ago built project and often muse on how I managed to do all that even with the challenge of the Diabetes. When you look at my tramway site you will realise how big a challenge that was.Been now into another actual real railway build but when i get that tramway up for people it will always remind me of how it was an added practical challenge! (www.glasgowtramsim.moonfruit.com .........from Bobby a stubborn Glasgow man.............

Beginning today at 11:00AM, I cannot have any caffeine nor sugar for 24 hours because I have an EEG scheduled tomorrow at Emory Medical Center in Atlanta. That sucks 'cause I love chocolate and sweet tea. In the case of the tea, I've had to make tea with artificial sweeter, which tastes awful. However, I am allowed stay up as late as possible without going to sleep, but I'm not allowed to sleep no more than four hours. This means that I have more time to not only watch TV, but also be on the Forums, and also spending time playing Trainz. My mom and dad are coming along tomorrow and we'll more than likely be stopping off somewhere to have breakfast. The problem is that i always get biscuits and grape jelly with sweet tea for breakfast, as I'm not a coffee person. Since I'm not allowed any sugar, i won't be able to have grape jelly with the biscuits. Also, all fast food places serve their tea with caffeine in them, so tea with my breakfast is also out the window. Because I'm not a coffee person, I guess I'll have to go with orange juice, which more than likely will have pulp in it, which I hate, and I'll have to replace grape jelly with butter. I also can't have pancakes because I'll have syrup with them, which of course is loaded with sugar, so forget that. To finish off this post, here's some words of wisdom that my Mom says that I'll be hearing plenty of during this 24 hour period: "Life's though, get over it."

Hello Jordan,

When I go to Church I have you in our prayers that things will improve during this difficult time.......

I myself am a Pre Diabetic, and have been for some 10 yrs.......Before that time, I took care of a family member who were full blown Diabetic for some 5 yrs before they passed at age of 92, in addition one of my parents was diabetic and their sugar never was below 180, and more like 350-400, because as hard as this is to believe, they would not change their Seafood Diet (If I see it, Ill eat the Food)

As well I have some friends that are also diabetic, and the general consensus I just have a little sugar problem is absolutely nutty to me, from what I see this horrid disease can due to every organ in one's body.....My point is here, people that have the disease of which I am a prime candidate, will have to change Diet and lifestyle.......

And in reading your meals, you are quite aware about the Sugar issues, and that is most commendable........

My blood sugar can change 5 point swings, and on a bad day 50 points when something I ate didn't digest well sugar wise......Which means I have to blood test twice a day to keep myself on the most even Keel I can.....

I wish you the best in your test tomorrow.......

Alright folks, I'm back. The EEG shows that the seizures are generalized and not confined to a specific area of the brain. I've been put on another pill that is used to treat Epilepsy. Finally free of the sugar ban, I've made me a fresh pitcher of tea with actual sugar and already have me a cup of tea sitting next to my computer. Now back to installing all of the things I've gotten for TANE into TRS 2019.

Thanks for the update,

Hope the new Medicine will keep things in check.........

And Trainz is good medicine too....Enjoy it........

I wish you all the best. Epilepsy can be tough, my ward has been suffering from it for some time. he really improved once he started taking luminalum pills though. I'm no doctor or pharmacist btw, nor connected with the pharma industry.

This is actually good news even though it's Epileptic seizures. As you've noted there are medications that can help this and help you lead a near normal life.

I agree with Blue. Trainz is a great therapy for a lot of things so use it to escape from the real world and enjoy it.

The most important thing, though, is stay positive and focus on good things and don't focus on your condition. If you need support talk to a professional, and or join a support group. If you want to, join an online forum I recommend Patients Like Me. https://www.patientslikeme.com/ This is a great group where you can discuss your condition with others that have the same, and this can help support you in many ways. With their charting applet, you can track your medication, doctor's visits, and even join in case studies if you are interested. I'm actually a member there in the Parkinson Disease forum.

So earlier this month I had another EEG which came back with the same results as the EEG in March. However, tomorrow I'll be heading back to Atlanta to Emory University Hospital where I'll be admitted for hospitalization and be hooked up to another EEG, taken off all my medication, and then try to 'capture' a seizure on the EEG. I'm going to be on 24/7 surveillance the whole time I'm there. I could be in there for up to a week, waiting on a seizure to happen. Hopefully I can get on the WI-FI, and that they have a good TV channel selection. There are a few problems, though: 1. I'm supposed to be there at 7:45AM, which means I have to deal with Atlanta rush hour traffic, which is something you want to avoid at all costs. 2. This Saturday is a model railroad convention in Atlanta also, so I'll be missing that. 3. I can't take my desktop computer that has TRS19 on it with me, so I'll have to find something else to keep me occupied.

Think JCitron hit a point in that Trainz can be a help as I was having dashed health problems from 2018 into 2019 and earlier it had put me off a project as some issues had come back. But have decided must get back to a very large project outside of where I live (Scotland) and back to my crawling attempt over the Irish Sea.

So earlier this month I had another EEG which came back with the same results as the EEG in March. However, tomorrow I'll be heading back to Atlanta to Emory University Hospital where I'll be admitted for hospitalization and be hooked up to another EEG, taken off all my medication, and then try to 'capture a seizure on the EEG. I'm going to be on 24/7 surveillance the whole time I'm there. I could be in there for up to a week, waiting on a seizure to happen. Hopefully I can get on the WI-FI, and that they have a good TV channel selection. There are a few problems, though: 1. I'm supposed to be there at 7:45AM, which means I have to deal with Atlanta rush hour traffic, which is something you want to avoid at all costs. 2. This Saturday is a model railroad convention in Atlanta also, so I'll be missing that. 3. I can't take my desktop computer that has TRS19 on it with me, so I'll have to find something else to keep me occupied.

Evening sir,

Thanks for the update, and wish you Safe Travels and I will say more prayers that your appointment gives the Docs what they need to treat and help you with medical issues you face........

God speed Jordan........May the Lord God look over you and bless you..........

Got back home last night. I had a seizure Friday night and dislocated my right shoulder and then had another seizure Saturday morning dislocated my left shoulder. Now my arms are strapped to the sides of my chest and held in place with immobilizers. The EEG showed that the seizures were all generalized, so no surgery, thank goodness. However, I'm heading back to Atlanta to see an orthopedist on Thursday.

Bump!

It's been almost a year since I updated this thread and I was supposed to have surgery on my right shoulder to tighten it up in March, but the COVID-19 pandemic canceled that and re-scheduled it for tomorrow, August 3rd. I also got tested for COVID-19 on Friday and got the test results back yesterday and it was negative, so I'm COVID free. There's going to be four incisions and it'll be an outpatient procedure.

Update

I've had he surgery yesterday. My arm will be in a sling for a month. I'm supposed to go back to my doctor on Friday to get a post-operation checkup where they will pull out the stitches that they put in during the surgery.

Last edited:
Congratulations!

Can I suggest some qigong and basic tai chi?
Our local teacher has had shoulder reconstruction (following car accident), and is running zoom classes for exercises and beginners (including seated classes).
Classes are based on UK time, but she has students from all over the UK & NZ..

If you want info, send me a pm.

All the best,
Colin

Yesterday I went to my orthopedist and they took the stitches out. I'm going to be in this sling for six weeks. Then I'll have physical therapy sessions.

Last Wednesday (September 16th) I saw my orthopedist via Zoom app, he said I could take off my sling. So to paraphrase the great Martin Luther King, Jr: Free at last! Free at last! Thank God almighty! My arm's free at last!

Back