Driving the train around the map

That is awesome!! I wonder if Trainz will ever get to that level of detail. The people walking around, the horse & buggys, animals running along the tracks, birds, etc. All makes for a world that really looks alive. Trainz just doesn't cut it in that respect. It's hard to make Trainz look like a live world.

WOW!
If only we could get that realism (except for the track!)
Even the bushes were pushed aside by the train instead of ghosting through them.

Shows what hundreds of millions of dollars, 8 years and a massive team of artists, programmers and game developers can do. (Take-Two has 17 studios and 4300 employees).
The game has pulled in record revenues from sales of more than 20 million units (read $Billion$!) since its launch earlier this year.
Impressive - but I'll take the capacity to create my own railroads using the modest tools that Trainz affords.
In time - as the step-change from T:ANE to TRS19 shows, we'll get to higher levels of realism, collision geometry, and animation fidelity too...

Last edited:
A nice little motion picture.... but,

Does the game include Trainz Surveyor functionality to allow me to create my own route? Can I schedule my own operations? If not, not sure what its long term appeal would be. There are plenty of great train spotter videos out there. If any one does make a simulator out of it hopefully some one will let us know.

A few "picky" details - none of the track junctions appear to have levers, no-one is shoveling coal into the firebox and, as a result, the coal level in the tender does not appear to change. I wonder if the water tanks work? Some of the grades seem very unprototypical.

After watching it once it got boring. Where were the other trains I could drive, cargo loads and passengers I could pickup and deliver? Back to Trainz.

Impressive - but I'll take the capacity to create my own railroads using the modest tools that Trainz affords.

And that's what distinguishes Trainz from all other games, simulators or not. "Red Dead Redemption 2" looks like another of those violent "shoot-em-up" games that are so popular today. (And I'm guilty, too, as I make maps with Far Cry 4 so I can vent my frustrations by killing the bad guys!) But that video shows what could be in a train sim. Picturesque and interesting animated scenery and all the correct physics make it desirable. But there's (probably) no map editor or rail activities inside the game, so that more than likely kills it for those who like SIMULATORS.

Thank goodness we have Trainz!!

Interesting and the scenery is really spectacular, but some of the grades remind me of a route I built that was largely worked by Kitson-Meyers. I also doubt that a train would be allowed to follow another as closely as that.

Back