Visible Setting question

Patrick31

Trainz Driver
I'm looking for the setting that controls the part regarding the rail in driver mode, when I drive a train i see the rail getting the extra layer on top of it, its like a rail is being laid on top of it. I hope someone knows what i mean. How can i get rid of this ? What setting controls this if even a setting for it exists

Not exactly sure what you mean. Is it the effect that when your point of view, i.e. the camera view, is moving forward with the train when the track ahead 50 metres or so changes noticeably and suddenly? The same effect is noticeable with speed trees as you approach them, they suddenly become more detailed.

If so, then this is the LOD (Level of Detail) feature and is built into the track, speed trees and other assets. And no, you cannot turn it off.

There have been threads on this issue and it is not a bug but it is a necessary feature that should be built into all scenery assets but is lacking in older assets. In a nutshell, it reduces the graphic rendering overhead for your GPU by reducing the detail in objects that are far away from your point of view and gradually increases the detail as you get closer. Without it your GPU would be overloaded with detailed rendering work that is totally unnecessary for distant objects and your FPS rate could be reduced to a crawl.

It is most noticeable with track because that forms a continuous ribbon stretching away to infinity with high detail needed close up and low detail at infinity. In between those two is where the problems caused by the LOD transitions are most noticeable. A great deal depends on how carefully the asset creator has managed the transitions - the number of transitions, distances at which they occur and the detail changes between the transitions. Not a simple task and a lot of extra work for the creators but some track assets are much better at dealing with these transitions than others.

Of course, please ignore all of this if I have completely misinterpreted your question.:)

Last edited:
Back