Dig holes (Digholes) - Are now not supported as of build 4.5?

euromodeller

Imagineer
Apparently digholes are no longer supported as of build 4.5.

http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/...-_Dig_Holes_.28making_holes_in_the_terrain.29

So what does this mean for the future in Trainz?

As a Model Railway layout creator this concerns me because dig holes are used a lot in making scale model layouts.

So if they are not supported what do we do in TRS 2019 for tunnels and model railways?

If I can't use them in 2019 it just might stop me fom buying it.

Unless of course there is an alternative on the horizon (hopefully) ??

Look to me like no. 28 specifically says about digholes:

NOTE: Do not overuse these as they are performance heavy! A handful here and there are ok but more than that in an entire route is not good. These are not supported as of trainz-build 4.5

So apart from referencing 28 instead of 29 I would think that Graham's concern is perfectly valid.

--Lamont

Read it again, badly worded but I read it as they are not supported in large numbers. Digholes work and are in TRS19, no different to TANE.

Presumably there is some kind of performance issue if you use a lot of them, not being into model railroads I wouldn't know if they cause any problems.

Read it again, badly worded but I read it as they are not supported in large numbers. Digholes work and are in TRS19, no different to TANE.
That seems a little more than bad wording. If it's wrong it should be corrected. Trainz documentation is user-supported, not just the content.

I agree with SailorDan.

I wonder why digholes are said to be so “performance heavy”. As I understand it, they are just grid squares made transparent. Presumably, that’s done by alpha masking the texture which is supposed to be a “low cost” technique. It would be interesting to have this explained in more detail.

Placed a few digholes and some tunnel entrances in build 98463. No problem placing either and after saving and closing (twice) they where still where I placed them originally.
TRS 2019 98463 digholes.JPG
Perhaps the wiki needs updating or it means something else.

In case anyone wanted to know what you are talking about:
[h=2]Trainz - Content Creation - #28 - Dig Holes (making holes in the terrain)[/h]
VideoIn this tutorial we explain how to use Dig Holes to cut holes in the terrain of your route. These can come in handy when adding assets that require the terrain to not go through them.NOTE: Do not overuse these as they are performance heavy! A handful here and there are ok but more than that in an entire route is not good. These are not supported as of trainz-build 4.5

Placed a few digholes and some tunnel entrances in build 98463. No problem placing either and after saving and closing (twice) they where still where I placed them originally.
View attachment 1719
Perhaps the wiki needs updating or it means something else.
Related to post #10 link:

Install UK Tunnel 1 track stone (2:60850:28903:3) with corresponding tunnel spline. Once installed save the route and run sessions. Save sessions several times and do a DBR at some point. One day you go back to the UK tunnel, and it has disconnected from the tunnel spline and is now elevated from where it was. If you used the track on that tunnel, train will derail (That is why I overlay my own track and make invisible the one with the tunnel). Note that the terrain where the tunnel is can be a mountain side (high) or just flat on level with the tunnel. At some point in time it will disconnect. This effect happens on this particular tunnel and on another: PU portail 1V tunnel pierre (158711:88105). Any other tunnels I have, are not affected. At some other points, where digholes are, I have seen the distortion of heights, and was able to bring down he invisible terrain so other scenery is not floating up in the air. Problem is random but fixable. The real problem is when you fix it, and later is back to the same, as in the tunnels. A fix would be welcome.

Like Ilebrez, I have observed displacement of tunnel assets on a route being created in TANE Build 4.5. My route has 6 tunnels, and I have created 4 tunnels as portals and bore of kind "buildable" with attached double track, and 2 tunnels as bore splines with portal endcaps and double-track attached splines.
After some time working on areas of the route away from the tunnels, I recently discovered 2 of 4 "buildable" portals and bore have been displaced upward by about 5 metres. The attached tracks have not been displaced.

Last edited:
I faced similar problem with turnouts. After several saves turnouts disconnected from track and flying above the ground...

I gave up on normal tunnels, too much faffing around, I use a dighole, a tunnel lining and make / add portals as trackside assets, so you just drop them over the dighole and they attach to the track, nothing moves then, only done them for 2ft Narrow Gauge though so far.

Like Ilebrez, I have observed displacement of tunnel assets on a route being created in TANE Build 4.5. My route has 6 tunnels, and I have created 4 tunnels as portals and bore of kind "buildable" with attached double track, and 2 tunnels as bore splines with portal endcaps and double-track attached splines.
After some time working on areas of the route away from the tunnels, I recently discovered 2 of 4 "buildable" portals and bore have been displaced upward by about 5 metres. The attached tracks have not been displaced.
This is obviously a bug. And I recall time ago the help desk getting involved on it. But consider: It is not a problem that you see when attempting to reproduce, it happens after a while and after saves and perhaps DBR's . Folks at engineering (N3V) are pressed for time doing, I am sure, several things at once. Is hard to sit operating the simulator up and down until they can reproduce the problem, and once it happens, it happens on one tunnel, not the others. On my post I showed the KUID's of the offending ones. Picture this: The tunnel has two ends, and the problem shows on one end not the other!, so it may not be a fault of the asset, unless it is related to a fault in the script that makes it to be prone for the error. Anyhow I think this is a difficult one easily solved by not using the asset or replacing it with another like I did. To confound things more, I have some "bad" tunnels installed, and those have never show the anomaly, leading me to believe that all this could be related to the dighole problem and or location or surrounding terrain. Then observing carefully the spline connecting area, you see a line of light on the wall, indicating a disconnect not altering the height of the asset. At this point, N3V comments would be appropriate

Last edited:
Back