Routes without interactive passenger stations, how do you deal with it ?

Patrick31

Trainz Driver
Im kinda amazed that there are still routes made that do not have an interactive passenger stations where passengers load and unload. For example the routes Andrushivka - Vinnitsa UZ and Balezino - Mosti, Russia. Bot have passenger stations, have even sessions for passenger runs but no interactive passenger stations so passengers dont really load and unload there. Just wondering how do you deal with it ? Do you just pretend to load passengers like in the very very old versions of Trainz or do you start placing Invisible Passenger platforms on top of them ? Because i just find it hard to grasp as to why they wouldnt put an interactive loading station in them for passengers. Is there a special reason for it ? Those interactive Passenger load and unload stations been around for so long now, I think they started making their way in from TRS 2004 ?? That has been 14 years now.

None of my routes have a Star Trek transporter at stations, beaming people up/down, phasing in/out of passengers.

I just place some moveable animated people roaming around, and pretend ... after a 5 minute stop, I blow the horn, ring the bell, and take off

None of my routes have a Star Trek transporter at stations, beaming people up/down, phasing in/out of passengers.

I just place some moveable animated people roaming around, and pretend ... after a 5 minute stop, I blow the horn, ring the bell, and take off

Ok, got a point there lol it does look kinda silly when that happens. But atleast you put some people on the platfors / stations some have simply nothing there lol

On routes where it's a pain to cut in an interactive station that were built with no interactive passenger stations in mind, I will use a track mark for either direction at the end of the platform and use the door open/door close command to open the passenger car doors, wait about a minute or so then continue the route.

If I build a route from the beginning, I will put in the interactive stations.

Unlike most of the rest of the world, there are many, many miles of track in the United States where there is no rail passenger service, so therefore, no passenger stations. So it's not really surprising that map-makers creating US or North American routes will not have passenger stations on their routes. I recently added interactive passenger stations throughout my Cotton Belt route which is a purely fictitious route, although based somewhat on the former SSW and old Frisco lines that still run thru NE Arkansas, now utilized by Union Pacific, and although there are only a handful of Amtrak stations in the actual area this route represents, but it IS an imaginary route so I imagine there is still railroad passenger service there.

Ditto Dave's comment above. One of my latest routes, modeled on a real line, does have passenger stations but had, according to the timetable for the year I based the route on, only one passenger service a day. What is the point of having passengers waiting at the passenger interactive station at, say 9am, when the only scheduled service was at 7pm? I did not use any interactive stations in that route.

EDIT: There are tricks you can use that can simulate the movement of passengers when you want them without using interactive stations. See the link http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Use_Layers#Layers_in_Driver_Mode

Last edited:
Ditto Dave's comment above. One of my latest routes, modeled on a real line, does have passenger stations but had, according to the timetable for the year I based the route on, only one passenger service a day. What is the point of having passengers waiting at the passenger interactive station at, say 9am, when the only scheduled service was at 7pm? I did not use any interactive stations in that route.

EDIT: There are tricks you can use that can simulate the movement of passengers when you want them without using interactive stations. See the link http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Use_Layers#Layers_in_Driver_Mode

Interesting idea, thanks for the info

I'm with Patrick31 on this one. What's the point of having a passenger station without passengers? If the proto-inspired route doesn't have passengers then there wouldn't be passenger trains running either so no passengers. But if there are passenger trains running, there should at least be some passengers. So they teleport - we seem to accept all sorts of simulation compromises, what's one more. There are people when my train arrives and no people when my train leaves. What happens in between I don't see because I'm too busy doing other things.

What's the point of having a passenger station without passengers?

For a busy commuter line or a less busy urban line I wholeheartedly agree. But not all lines with passenger stations have regular or frequent services so there would be long intervals (hours or days even) where there are no passengers waiting because there are no services due and then, just before the scheduled arrival time, they appear - perhaps only a handful but not in their hundreds. These are the lines I prefer to create.

The available interactive stations do not give you the option of 0 passengers waiting and 0 arriving per hour until 2pm, for example, and then 0 until 6pm, etc. For this reason I do not use interactive passenger stations in my routes. It just looks plain silly to have even a few passengers who are obviously commuters waiting when there is no passenger service scheduled for hours or even for the rest of that day.

For a busy commuter line or a less busy urban line I wholeheartedly agree. But not all lines with passenger stations have regular or frequent services so there would be long intervals (hours or days even) where there are no passengers waiting because there are no services due and then, just before the scheduled arrival time, they appear - perhaps only a handful but not in their hundreds. These are the lines I prefer to create.

The available interactive stations do not give you the option of 0 passengers waiting and 0 arriving per hour until 2pm, for example, and then 0 until 6pm, etc. For this reason I do not use interactive passenger stations in my routes. It just looks plain silly to have even a few passengers who are obviously commuters waiting when there is no passenger service scheduled for hours or even for the rest of that day.

Something someone should make is a script so you can have passengers spawn at selected times and have at other times the station on 0 passengers or 1 etc. It would make stations much more interesting

Something someone should make is a script so you can have passengers spawn at selected times and have at other times the station on 0 passengers or 1 etc. It would make stations much more interesting

The AJS invisible stations already do something similar.

If there are no interactive stations just set up your sessions to use the instant load command in conjunction with the door open close commands.

The AJS invisible stations already do something similar.

True, but while they will let you start with 0 passengers waiting they do not let you add 0 passengers per hour. Patrick's suggestion of a start time (e.g. 2pm) for passengers to appear would be a better solution.

True, but while they will let you start with 0 passengers waiting they do not let you add 0 passengers per hour. Patrick's suggestion of a start time (e.g. 2pm) for passengers to appear would be a better solution.

You can also set a departure rate in passengers per hour and whether the peak is morning or evening.

I asked for this way back in 2004 when TRS2004 SP1 came out and introduced the interactive passenger assets and other interactive industries, which missed the release deadline. I was told it couldn't be done back then, or is it possible?

The animated figures used by interactive stations and more so the vanishing trick they perform are totally unrealistic so I don't use them and won't start using them until they are much improved.

I just use simple figures and place them as small cameos, plus I add a sprinkling of animated people along with suitcases and other platform detritus. Works for me !

Back