Minimap Contol-M not working on Mac version?

1611mac

- - . -
Can someone confirm what the minimap is and that Control-M toggles it? I have searched for a description everywhere but all I can seem to find is that Contol-M is it's toggle. Perhaps it is a "mini map" that shows in Driver window? Can't find ANY info.

I'm a newbie on TRS19 Apple/Mac version and Control-M does nothing in Driver mode. "M" gives the map... but Control-M does absolutely nothing (that I can see). I don't find Control-M in the key (control) settings. Do I need to submit a report?

Last edited:
Does Option-M work?

If this works, then the command its self works, but the instructions are incorrect and I would submit a bug report in both cases.

Option-M doesn't work either. Why do I not see a mini-map toggle key in the "Settings" "Control Settings"??? All the "Minimap" options are there but no key for minimap itself. And can you confirm what the minimap is exactly?

Option-M doesn't work either. Why do I not see a mini-map toggle key in the "Settings" "Control Settings"??? All the "Minimap" options are there but no key for minimap itself. And can you confirm what the minimap is exactly?

Bug report it...

The mini-map is this, and is very useful:

Map.jpg

There is a fullscreen map view found by zooming all the way out when in external views while driving, or in Surveyor. You mouse scroll wheel down to zoom out. You have the same options, except it's full screen and not windowed, which helps in other cases.

Yes... my Map works fine (M) and aooming all the way out yields full map but CTRL or OPT M do nothing. Odd, there is an "Emulate right-click with 'control' key" on General pane of Launcher Trainz Settings. But I can't see that it changes anything on or off. I think it's all due to the modifier keys mapping differently on Mac vs PC.

I've sent a support request.... I'll see what they say. And thank you for your help (again!).

Yes... my Map works fine (M) and aooming all the way out yields full map but CTRL or OPT M do nothing. Odd, there is an "Emulate right-click with 'control' key" on General pane of Launcher Trainz Settings. But I can't see that it changes anything on or off. I think it's all due to the modifier keys mapping differently on Mac vs PC.

I've sent a support request.... I'll see what they say. And thank you for your help (again!).

You're welcome. Good luck with that... You did use the actual bug report, right?

https://n3vgames.typeform.com/to/xRdryu

This is direct to the team. :)

mac --

In earlier versions of Trainz Ctrl-M used to toggle up the map view when in Driver. To do the same in TRS19 it's now just the M-key.

Phil

mac --
In earlier versions of Trainz Ctrl-M used to toggle up the map view when in Driver. To do the same in TRS19 it's now just the M-key.
Phil

Are you saying the the "Map" IS the "minimap"??? If so, none of the keyboard shortcuts work in my map. But yes... "M" does give me a full window map. Surely that is not the "minimap."

Are you saying the the "Map" IS the "minimap"??? If so, none of the keyboard shortcuts work in my map. But yes... "M" does give me a full window map. Surely that is not the "minimap."

The mini-map is the "mini-map". It's different as I showed you.

Have not heard anything back from submitted bug report but I did hear back from Support who stated
The 'minimap' window is not available in Driver mode.

Yet, I found this in the wiki...

• Map Toggle: Ctrl-M works for mini-map in Surveyor AND in Driver module.

I did learn that my mini-map does work in Surveyor with Control-M but not Driver.

To those who confirmed that mini-map works on PC. Was that in Surveyor only or Surveyor AND Driver???

mac --

I'm not sure about the difference between "mini-map" and just "map".

What I do know is that in Driver (where I find it very useful) if I press the M-key a map appears of the layout. I can rotate, pan and zoom using the mouse and cursor keys.

In TRS19 M-key toggles this map on/off. In earlier version of Trainz it was Ctrl-M.

Now - are we talking about the same thing or sumthin' different?

Phil

mac --

I'm not sure about the difference between "mini-map" and just "map".

What I do know is that in Driver (where I find it very useful) if I press the M-key a map appears of the layout. I can rotate, pan and zoom using the mouse and cursor keys.

In TRS19 M-key toggles this map on/off. In earlier version of Trainz it was Ctrl-M.

Now - are we talking about the same thing or sumthin' different?

Phil

Same but different. :)

CTRL+M for Surveyor; M-key only for Driver will bring up the mini-map, i.e. the one that can be moved out of the way and is a small window. It still has the display bug in T:ANE which doesn't update with the camera position, which is a pain.

The other kind of map is the high in the sky view, which isn't quite the same. This is the one where the details of the world disappear as you zoom out into space and everything becomes the map view. With the mini-map you can zoom in up close and personal to the switch levers and read names easily while in the zoom out map loses the names when you start zooming in close and the details appear.

yes... confusing... Very confusing... I DO get "regular" map in Driver by hitting the single M key. This is a full window map. Only way I see to Navigate on the map is right clicking a location - that location then moves to the center of screen. Very clunky and non user friendly in my opinion. Since using a Mac in mid 1980's I've never seen an app behave that way. Typical Mac method is to "grab" and "drag" the map with the mouse.

I never realized it but now I do find that I have a "mini-map" in Surveyor by hitting Control-M. This map is in window and has "arrows" on the outside edge of the pane that can be clicked to move the map. I Never would have thought of a "mini-map" in Surveyor, since, in my mind, it IS a map already. With time I guess it's use will become available to me.

This stuff really should be documented better.

So I guess my "mini-map" is working OK..... IF the mini-map is ONLY in Surveyor and MAP is in Driver AND..... Map is "M" AND mini-map is "Control-M"..... I guess... clear as mud.

Ha... I submitted a "bug" report stating that mini-map doesn't work in Driver.... have not heard anything back. On a support request, Support desk replied that it was only available in Surveyor.

Last edited:
yes... confusing... Very confusing... I DO get "regular" map in Driver by hitting the single M key. This is a full window map. Only way I see to Navigate on the map is right clicking a location - that location then moves to the center of screen. Very clunky and non user friendly in my opinion. Since using a Mac in mid 1980's I've never seen an app behave that way. Typical Mac method is to "grab" and "drag" the map with the mouse.

I never realized it but now I do find that I have a "mini-map" in Surveyor by hitting Control-M. This map is in window and has "arrows" on the outside edge of the pane that can be clicked to move the map. I Never would have thought of a "mini-map" in Surveyor, since, in my mind, it IS a map already. With time I guess it's use will become available to me.

This stuff really should be documented better.

So I guess my "mini-map" is working OK..... IF the mini-map is ONLY in Surveyor and MAP is in Driver AND..... Map is "M" AND mini-map is "Control-M"..... I guess... clear as mud.

Ha... I submitted a "bug" report stating that mini-map doesn't work in Driver.... have not heard anything back. On a support request, Support desk replied that it was only available in Surveyor.

The mini-map in driver should be windowed, or have that capability. In the right hand corner should be a square. Click on that if it is there, and your map will window down. The map, like other related windows take on the last size used by something else, which is annoying. Ideally the map, driver setup, and other windows should be totally separate and use the operating system's windowing API so they can be moved out of the way and on to another monitor if available. This aspect was discussed at one point in the Trainz dev formum, but it was only a discussion.

If it isn't a bug but a feature, the QA Team will let you know. Right now they're knee deep, or maybe neck deep, in tasks so yours is probably somewhere in the mix. Don't sweat it. :)

No... no such square in the corner. And on the Window menu the Minimise and Maximise are dimmed out (not available.) Checked every icon and every menu... no way NOT to have a full window map. Scroll wheel can zoom in and out but window is always full with a background.

I'm not worried about at all right now. But I do want to know what works, what doesn't, and what is supposed to be. I'm weird that that.... I'm highly enjoying my Trainz experience and I'm actually glad I got in on Early Release and Beta as a first timer. That way I can get to talk with you guys to learn!!

Back