missing deps - how to solve this

chase2004

When i tried to download something. it keep saying missing deps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i don't know how to fix that goddam trains!!!!!!!

You have to find, and download all the "missing dependencies" ... Trainz has always been like that for decades

Nothing comes automatically, ready to run

Alright bucko. Calm down.

Right click on the asset that is missing deps. Find the 'show dependencies' line, and click that. Look for the one that is missing, and then right click on it, and select 'download'.

Please be civil while posting on this forum dude.

Welcome to Trainz. Great first post. Very diplomatic.

I would recommend that you register your copy with NV3.

This is a community of people with various backgrounds. Would you walk into a room full of strangers and blurt that out as your first greeting?????

First of all you need to curb your language here, otherwise, you will find yourself banned from the forums. As a now retired moderator, I would have issued a warning to you and put you on the watch list. This is a community of people from all over the world and a community of people of all ages. Children should not hear/read that here, and definitely out of respect for the elders, this shouldn't be spoken out of respect for them either.

I highly recommend you read the Code of Conduct found here:

http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php5/Code_Of_Conduct

Now on to business...

First I recommend a website, which requires registration and a small fee, about $20 per year if that. www.trainzkuidindex.com This database will search out your missing dependencies and provide the links to them if available.

The other method, although not always efficient, requires posting the Kuid here in a forum post and hopefully someone will come along and point you in the right direction. To post a kuid here: Highlight the line in Content Manager, and paste here. Unfortunately, without a registered version of Trainz I have no way of providing exact details.

Speaking of registration...

You need to use the same user name you registered your software with as your login in the forums. If you are already registered, purchased Trainz on Steam, or registered under a different name than the one you are posting with here, contact N3V Helpdesk to get everything straightened out.

http://support.trainzportal.com/

Without showing a Trainz version next to your name, you will come across as a software pirate and receive minimal help, and if you are registered you will always be pestered about the status.

First I recommend a website, which requires registration and a small fee, about $20 per year if that. www.trainzkuidindex.com This database will search out your missing dependencies and provide the links to them if available.
Sorry, the original poster is right.

He bought the game and it doesn't work.

This is the biggest failing of Trainz, content creators are too lazy to direct the user to missing dependencies and saying the asset is available at Jointed Rail doesn't work as an answer.

Ah, how we miss Checkrail, he was one of the few competent route builders. All the dependencies were listed.

Yeah, the OP has right to be rude, he bought a game and it doesn't work.

The other guy's Workshop scenarios work and list the crap needed. Trainz is a big fail in that area.

Harold

Last edited:
Not quite. He downloaded additional content from some site, probably free, and found it was incomplete. Not the same thing.
Or he downloaded one of those dreadful routes on DLS where most of the assets aren't on DLS.

Deleted many of that ilk.

Harold

Rather than piling answers, why don't we wait until the gentleman responds? (if he dares), and see what is he doing about it? Finding missing assets may seem daunting, but if you know what you are doing, is not so bad.

Sorry, the original poster is right.

He bought the game and it doesn't work

It's not a game. It's a simulator, where users have been given abilities to create, tweak or modify content. Moreover, there are numerous resources available and a broad based community to assist with solutions.

I've yet to use a sim, play a game or run software that didn't have bugs or shortcomings.

Rather than piling answers, why don't we wait until the gentleman responds? (if he dares), and see what is he doing about it? Finding missing assets may seem daunting, but if you know what you are doing, is not so bad.

It's not a game. It's a simulator, where users have been given abilities to create, tweak or modify content. Moreover, there are numerous resources available and a broad based community to assist with solutions.

I've yet to use a sim, play a game or run software that didn't have bugs or shortcomings.
This is a major failing of the Trainz franchise, letting the DLS fall into its present state.

The DLS content shouldn't have missing assets:

There are now well over 10,000 routes available on the Trainz Download Station (DLS) that you can download for free and enjoy. So when people tell you "you have to buy lots of DLC" remind them that the choice is theirs, with plenty of high quality free routes and content available on the DLS.

How can a game be enjoyed if a second hobby is required of "Chase the KUID"?

Phil's routes are great, they are done right. Nothing is missing.

Harold

Last edited:
This is a major failing of the Trainz franchise, letting the DLS fall into its present state.

The DLS content shouldn't have missing assets:

How can a game be enjoyed if a second hobby is required of "Chase the KUID"?

By that logic, I bought a new car, but can't enjoy it because GM failed to inform me that I'd encounter heavy traffic and potholes on the roads.

By that logic, I bought a new car, but can't enjoy it because GM failed to inform me that I'd encounter heavy traffic and potholes on the roads.
No, if you didn't have a distributor cap and had to hunt for the cap to get the car started.

There are routes on the DLS that don't have track from the DLS.

Harold

I tried posting in the suggestions forum that it would be good if "unknown assets" could give the name of the item as well as the author userid. I am assuming it must get the author userid from the database, as it is not in the KUID list in the config.txt, so I am thinking it could get the name of the item as well. I was also thinking that these items could be added to the config.txt going forward, so it would be right there. But apparently it never got past the moderator. It never showed up even though I tried posting it it twice. Or maybe it is just a stupid idea...…
With the asset name, a person could at least substitute because they would know what it was....

Last edited:
I tried posting in the suggestions forum that it would be good if "unknown assets" could give the name of the item as well as the author userid.
The author name comes from the first part of the KUID. The only thing known about a missing asset is the KUID (which includes the author ID) and, depending on what it is missing from, the type (scenery, horn, bogey, track, etc).

I tried posting in the suggestions forum that it would be good if "unknown assets" could give the name of the item as well as the author userid. I am assuming it must get the author userid from the database, as it is not in the KUID list in the config.txt, so I am thinking it could get the name of the item as well. I was also thinking that these items could be added to the config.txt going forward, so it would be right there. But apparently it never got past the moderator. It never showed up even though I tried posting it it twice. Or maybe it is just a stupid idea...…
With the asset name, a person could at least substitute because they would know what it was....

Well somethings now in TRS2019 show the author name even when they are missing so your idea didn't land completely in the ether.

Well somethings now in TRS2019 show the author name even when they are missing so your idea didn't land completely in the ether.

Very true however unless N3V have a crystal ball there is no way they can identify the name of an item that is not and never has been on the DLS and is not in their database and that accounts for many of the missing assets, a name is extremely unlikely for anything not on the DLS or builtin.

But....... Things are not always as bad as it might appear. Right click list asset Versions, sometimes yields a result as in a newer or older version or sometimes an item that obsoletes it.

This appears to be caused by gaps in the versions uploaded, if the base item isn't on the DLS but it starts at say kuid2:xxxxxx:xxxxx:13 then the right click, show versions method is often the only way to find it, that is one problem that should IMO be addressed although as it seems to be getting better of late though, maybe they have?

Items on the Repair list may not show in manage Content or show as location unknown or third party as they are in some way faulty in one or more builds, however you can usually download by using Custom and input the kuid number if you know what it is or get it from the White pages.

and

Often I've found location unknown will actually download if you try it.

Back