missing deps - how to solve this

Or he downloaded one of those dreadful routes on DLS where most of the assets aren't on DLS.

Deleted many of that ilk.

Harold

Kinda sounds like Trainz needs a bit of self policing. Root out those assets that are in complete.

I’d rather have a choice of 10 routes that work rather than thousands that need help.

Doing trainz for a year...just bought 19....tired of spending more time looking for stuff than running trains.

Why why why why must we rely on hard pressed users to provide good turtorials, I still can’t find how to replace an asset. One bridge for a missing on or a dinky sign which really has no affect on operations?

It is tiresome.

Just my my two cents worth from a newbie.

Don

I have about 4k assets with missing kuids, and 8k of faulty ones.
I think I have spent more time hunting down kuids and repairing assets than driving a train. Worse than people just leaving and their content being lost, are assholes that keep their content for themselves and their friends while routes have them as dependency. Trainzonline.nl is a good example of this, minimal effort, like ****ing up on a sketchup export (how do you even **** up on that), not including all sketchup exports in the .rar files and refusing to help anyone beyond ''use the ****ing google''.

I gave up on getting the kuids from that site.

Marcos

Very true however unless N3V have a crystal ball there is no way they can identify the name of an item that is not and never has been on the DLS and is not in their database and that accounts for many of the missing assets, a name is extremely unlikely for anything not on the DLS or builtin.

But....... Things are not always as bad as it might appear. Right click list asset Versions, sometimes yields a result as in a newer or older version or sometimes an item that obsoletes it.

This appears to be caused by gaps in the versions uploaded, if the base item isn't on the DLS but it starts at say kuid2:xxxxxx:xxxxx:13 then the right click, show versions method is often the only way to find it, that is one problem that should IMO be addressed although as it seems to be getting better of late though, maybe they have?

Items on the Repair list may not show in manage Content or show as location unknown or third party as they are in some way faulty in one or more builds, however you can usually download by using Custom and input the kuid number if you know what it is or get it from the White pages.

and

Often I've found location unknown will actually download if you try it.

Yes I mentioned this gap issue a couple of times when I got burned by exporting a route that had a previous version of an asset that was obsoleted, although built-in and couldn't be removed, but was now using a newer version. When I imported this route into another T:ANE version or TRS19 version, I ended up with a missing asset. I had to fake out the system by editing the config.txt of the asset (put the folder on my desktop), and change that to the older version, and then installing the updated one afterwards.

Recently I did try the right-click on an unknown and low and behold, I had some luck. It doesn't always work but I got lucky this time.

I’d rather have a choice of 10 routes that work rather than thousands that need help.
You have that choice already, provided, of course, that you are prepared to pay for those fully supported complete prepackaged routes at commercial prices. The Trainz business model has always been user-created content. This has its advantages and disadvantages, but it is the feature that most differentiates Trainz from other similar products. Many people like the idea that there are masses of user-created content available, and are prepared to take the effort to sort the good from the bad.

Back