Can a non-artistic person create a decent route?

Two things guaranteed to make a layout look non-artistic or unrealistic are;

- ground areas with no texture applied, just bare grid. Don't do that.

- ground textures that have a very obvious repeated/tiled look. Things that help to combat this; rotate textures as they are applied, vary their scale, blend a number of textures, choose textures that are somewhat amorphous (unless you are deliberately wanting to depict structured features like rockfaces etc).

Two things guaranteed to make a layout look non-artistic or unrealistic are;

- ground areas with no texture applied, just bare grid. Don't do that.

- ground textures that have a very obvious repeated/tiled look. Things that help to combat this; rotate textures as they are applied, vary their scale, blend a number of textures, choose textures that are somewhat amorphous (unless you are deliberately wanting to depict structured features like rockfaces etc).

To add my pet hate, totally unrealistic use of the terrain tools to create pointy spike mountains.

To add my pet hate, totally unrealistic use of the terrain tools to create pointy spike mountains.

Yeah and those things too. Looking at my earliest creation recently, I had some terribly steep mountains and some real "spiffy" track laying too that I thought was the bees' knees back then along with some carpet-textures too before I learned about the texture rotation using the [ , ] keys. :hehe:

Back