So confused... Beta vs Early Release... nv3, can you help?

1611mac

- - . -
Mac Version, TRS19, "Early Release" vs "beta"

I decided to start from scratch building "Early Release" and "Beta" environments. I deleted my TRS19 apps and data folders. Reinstalled app and noted the created data folder. Default "target" app was correct and "data" folder path was correct and update stream was in fact "Early Release."

I duplicated the TRS19 app naming it TRSbeta. I launched it and noted that a second "build" folder was created. I now had two apps and two distinct "build" folders in the data folder.

With TRSbeta running I confirmed target app as the beta. I confirmed the proper "build" folder for the beta app. I then set the update stream to "beta."

I closed and reconfirmed once again that both apps had their unique data/build folders, targets, and update streams.

Yet, when I open each app (one at a time) I am presented with the exact same build updates and downloads. Both apps update to build 98302 and both apps offer the same route/dependency downloads. The recent round of "qatest" route updates are offered in the "Early Release" setup where the update path is set to "Early Release" and not "beta."

I am so confused...... I have no idea what is "Early Release official" and what is "beta," in regard to both app builds and routes... There seems to be no difference here whether the update stream is set on Early Release or Beta. Again, I have Mac version.

I'm not familiar with the Mac version of the program and not owning Mac means I haven't paid attention to the build numbers. However, and there's a however here, ignore the content first off. Outside of actual route testing, routes that are truly still in beta testing, the route content will be the same regardless of which version of TRS19 you are using whether this is either beta or early access.

Also during the course of testing, the beta versions then get released "officially" as early access versions. The difference seems to be that assertions are turned off in the early access while these error-traps, aka breakpoints or stops, are left on in the beta so that bugs can be reported.

ok..... I appreciate the input but build numbers are given in the release post. This doesn't help me understand why a setup for "Early Release" stream and "Beta" stream results in the exact same download items being offered. Why then have two different streams offered? Why am I getting "qatest" download beta routes offered from an "Early Release" stream?

ok..... I appreciate the input but build numbers are given in the release post. This doesn't help me understand why a setup for "Early Release" stream and "Beta" stream results in the exact same download items being offered. Why then have two different streams offered? Why am I getting "qatest" download beta routes offered from an "Early Release" stream?

You are getting this a bit confused still. I was afraid of that. When the program is installed, it will setup a separate database and separate data folders. It doesn't matter how many versions of TRS19 you have installed because each one will have its own DLC downloads - i.e. the qatest and SC folders.

Some of us have four or more installs with each having its own set of data and kept around for testing and comparison purposes. If fact I recommend keeping a "vanilla" download handy just in case something needs to be installed quickly or tested in a vanilla environment should you have been playing around with settings.

I hope this explains it better.

I do appreciate your trying to help but did you read my initial post? I have two versions of the app with each pointing to it's own data folder. One is set for "Early Release" update stream and one is set for "Beta" update stream. I confirmed twice that each app was configured properly (ie, to it's own UNIQUE build folder and it's own UNIQUE update stream.) Yet, with BOTH apps and BOTH configs the offered downloads and updates are exactly the same even though one is set "beta" stream and one is set "Early Release" stream. So yes, I am totally missing your point. You say you have four or more installs.... I now have two. But the update stream path for each doesn't seem to matter because I'm offered the same list of downloads regardless.

I do appreciate your trying to help but did you read my initial post? I have two versions of the app with each pointing to it's own data folder. One is set for "Early Release" update stream and one is set for "Beta" update stream. I confirmed twice that each app was configured properly (ie, to it's own UNIQUE build folder and it's own UNIQUE update stream.) Yet, with BOTH apps and BOTH configs the offered downloads and updates are exactly the same even though one is set "beta" stream and one is set "Early Release" stream. So yes, I am totally missing your point. You say you have four or more installs.... I now have two. But the update stream path for each doesn't seem to matter because I'm offered the same list of downloads regardless.

Yes and I stand by both of my posts, and this may clarify things better.

1) N3V may have moved the Beta version to Early release to allow others to have a go at the testing in a more public way. Tony said that was going to happen this week or sometime soon(tm). So both versions are going to be the same at least on the Mac side - there has been a newer release for the PC yesterday so watch for one on the Mac if it hasn't showed up already.

2) You are going to see the SAME data in both versions unless you have signed up for route testing, and then this is the only time the data is going to be different.

So in the end, don't worry about it you didn't miss out on anything, and you don't have something wrong.

Thanks again for replying. Appreciate it.

I did sign up for route testing. That is why I'm so confused. Would this be normal to see this exact thing on Early Release stream and Beta stream? These 3 screenshots make up my download window on both installs. Exactly the same... of course, the "Fall Harvest" and "Midwestern Branch" is (T:ANE) Payware.

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

Yup that will be normal because the content is the same regardless of any of the versions installed.

Confused? Nah! :D

So are the "qatest" routes beta or "early release" or "beta that we are shooting to you in the normal beta stream"? I was not expecting to see "gatest" routes outside the beta stream, and I think that the base of the confusion.

So are the "qatest" routes beta or "early release" or "beta that we are shooting to you in the normal beta stream"? I was not expecting to see "gatest" routes outside the beta stream, and I think that the base of the confusion.

It's all in the confusing naming convention that N3V, aka Tony, has chosen for the routes. The qatest routes are the current names for the downloads for now and you may or may not see them outside the beta testing period. For the longest time after T:ANE came out, we had some test-named folders still kicking around until they were all named with the SC prefix.

Graeme pretty much sums it up better than I did with my overly complex techie speak.

OK... I'm used to more structured beta testing methods but I have to say that NV3 and the Trainz crew are certainly the most helpful, active and responsive I seen.

Thanks for putting up with my posts here. I do really appreciate learning details.

May I ask one more question..... The settings on "Launcher" "Trainz Settings" (ie: local data folder and update stream) - Are those settings kept in the data folder or the Prefs? (On Mac there is a data folder and there is also a prefs folder) In the prefs folder I see "tane-setting.dat and typatch-setting.dat.

It looks like there is one prefs file even if you have more than one install? (app and data folder)

May I ask one more question..... The settings on "Launcher" "Trainz Settings" (ie: local data folder and update stream) - Are those settings kept in the data folder or the Prefs? (On Mac there is a data folder and there is also a prefs folder) In the prefs folder I see "tane-setting.dat and typatch-setting.dat.

It looks like there is one prefs file even if you have more than one install? (app and data folder)

These two files, found on the PC in C:/Users/{login profile name}/App Data/com.n3vgames.tane are as follows:

tane-settings.dat contains the window position, content manager window sizes, and column information such as sizes and sort information. This is actually a text file and can be read, I wouldn't recommend editing though, in a text editor.

the typatch-settings.dat file is illegible, and contains binary info. I just looked and saw bits and pieces of text, but the rest of the good stuff is smiley faces and other high-order Unicode characters.

Yes. That is correct. The tane-settings will be responsible for any install so all your window positions will be the same, which is annoying when you want to open up two copies of Content Manager on two separate monitors. When I started up T:ANE the other day, it too picked up the same window positions that TRS19 was using and I had to move stuff around so I could use both versions at the same time as I was comparing settings and stuff.

The Typatch-settings file has information in it, at least what I could find, for the different TRS19 installs I have, and I assume would be the same for the Mac too.

To be honest I wouldn't mess with these files. In the past those system cleaners that empty temp folders and what not used to delete the tane-setting.dat file because that was kept in the Temp folder instead of in its own com.n3vgames.tane folder.

Yeah.. I looked at them.... No need to edit them (obviously)... I just wondered how they might relate to 2 or 3 app installs.... say... an "early release" version and then subsequent beta versions...

Thanks again.

Back