Interlocking Towers

Patrick31

Trainz Driver
Im trying to figureout the interlocking towers, what i have is a track that goes from 1 track into 2, what i need is the switch / junction to automaticly switch for the right path. What i did is for the trains co ing of the single track going towards the 2 track i have assigned a path with the interlocking tower to go left and the train coming from the other side that needs to go on the one track also set a path. Now all works fine but the problem is I have to switch the junction manually which is not what interlocking tower should be from what i understand it should throw the switch for me. So what am i doing wrong here and how can i have the switch to be set automaticly by the interlocking tower

I too have been experimenting with Interlocking Towers and Enhanced Interlocking Towers (by pguy) and I am impressed by what they are able to do but it is a learning curve.

Once you have assigned the path using ITs then you have to make that path active. This is done by using either driver commands (e.g. the IT SetPath command) before the train arrives at the path starting signal or by using a Popup selection window that is activated when the train reaches the path starting signal - the Interlocking Tower Path Selection UI Rule does that for you.

When you set the path in the EIT tower you should have a yellow line mark the path you have set up. This will also set the junction direction to follow that path. The tower is not always instant in setting the path as it needs to check all paths in that tower, the more paths the longer it could take. In AI the train will set its path once detected by the tower or you can use the IT set path command on your approach. If you have more than one way to get from A to B then use the set path command, If there is only one possible route the tower will find it for you. The pop up selection is for manual driven trains and this allows both AI and Manual to run together.

Thanks for all info guys,will be playing around with it some more before i decide to start building a real route. Need to understand the basics of this new to meinterlocking tower stuff

And once you have got your "head around" ITs, you might go the next step and have a look at Mission Codes which build on the capabilities of ITs.

If you search for 'EIT DemoRoute' on the DLS, you'll find a route plus a number of sessions by the author, pguy, which demonstrate the various features and possibilities when using EITs and the associated functions.

Im trying to figureout the interlocking towers, what i have is a track that goes from 1 track into 2, what i need is the switch / junction to automaticly switch for the right path. What i did is for the trains co ing of the single track going towards the 2 track i have assigned a path with the interlocking tower to go left and the train coming from the other side that needs to go on the one track also set a path. Now all works fine but the problem is I have to switch the junction manually which is not what interlocking tower should be from what i understand it should throw the switch for me. So what am i doing wrong here and how can i have the switch to be set automaticly by the interlocking tower

Your right about the IT should throw the switch for you. IT takes control of the junctions within the IT path and you lose control of that junction. You cannot throw that switch manually. I have several single lane tracks with passing lanes on each end. I tested mine extensively using 3 trains on each end trying to gain access to the single lane track. I use signals only on the double lane track to enter and exit the single lane track. I use none of the driver commands to control the IT. I feel using them defeats the purpose of even having an IT to begin with. I use the Enhanced Interlocking Tower (ITE Signal Box) and it is fantastic.

One little problem I noted since I simulated heavy traffic in that area is the rear of the exit train from the single lane track is still very close to the adjacent in coming track just pass the junction. The IT clears the path once the train cleared the exit signal and the train waiting to enter the single lane hits the exit train. The exit train had stopped at the exit signal because of traffic ahead and of course is slow to move on. Once the exit train passes the junction and exit signal it clears the path. Another reason for that problem too is the junction default is toward the incoming track to the single track. So when the single track train clears the junction and exit signal IT releases control of the junction which allows the signal to turn green for the incoming train. So to delay the entrance of the incoming train to the single track I added a Track Circuit Block which works great. I put the TCB to cover the junction, entry and exit signals only for both ends of the single track. What is really great about this is that the IT will not allow any train to enter the block if occupied. I really had fun with this. While playing around with this, I had set the TCB too far into the double lane track which allowed part of a long train to occupy the block even though it was completely clear of the single track section. I could not at first figure out why the incoming train would not move to enter the single lane. The block was occupied. If you do use the Track Circuit Block, be sure to set it in the EIT interface "path track circuit blocks mode: process only tcb for exit signal".

Back