Finding a share on a LAN

johnwhelan

Four machines and a router. The Router has a usb SSD 500 Mb SSD plugged in to act as a small NAS.

Two machines can definitely see the others and the NAS on the router.

One machine is unable to see one of the other machines and the NAS on the router.

They are all windows 10. At the back of my mind there is service that needs to run to discover shares on the LAN but I can't recall what it is.

Any suggestions to nudge the machine that can't see the other two?

Thanks John

What version of Windows 10 is the one machine that can't see the NAS running?

There's an issue with older SMB versions being blocked due to security reasons even internally.

On the workstation with the problem, you can enable support for SMB 1.0/CIFS

Go to Programs and Features.
Press Windows-key+R, then type control to bring up the Control Panel.
Then click on Turn Windows features on and off.

Look for the SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support. Enable it

Also Enable SMB Direct as well if it is not enabled.

Windows will install stuff and you'll have to restart.

That should do it I think.

Four machines and a router. The Router has a usb SSD 500 Mb SSD plugged in to act as a small NAS.

Two machines can definitely see the others and the NAS on the router.

One machine is unable to see one of the other machines and the NAS on the router.

They are all windows 10. At the back of my mind there is service that needs to run to discover shares on the LAN but I can't recall what it is.

Any suggestions to nudge the machine that can't see the other two?

Thanks John

The PC that is not seeing the others needs to have two services activated:

• Function Discovery Provider Host
  • Function Discovery Resource Publication

Set both to Startup Type Automatic (Delayed Start).

That has worked for me on two different LANs.

:B~)

The PC that is not seeing the others needs to have two services activated:

• Function Discovery Provider Host
  • Function Discovery Resource Publication

Set both to Startup Type Automatic (Delayed Start).

That has worked for me on two different LANs.

:B~)

Those were the two I was thinking of.

Thanks John

What version of Windows 10 is the one machine that can't see the NAS running?

There's an issue with older SMB versions being blocked due to security reasons even internally.

On the workstation with the problem, you can enable support for SMB 1.0/CIFS

Go to Programs and Features.
Press Windows-key+R, then type control to bring up the Control Panel.
Then click on Turn Windows features on and off.

Look for the SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support. Enable it

Also Enable SMB Direct as well if it is not enabled.

Windows will install stuff and you'll have to restart.

That should do it I think.

Strangely enough in this case neither worked although the services one has worked in the past. However the drive on the router does come up as a media device.

On the system that does show the NAS SMB direct is shown and enabled but on the system that does not it is not shown as an option.

Time to play.

Thanks John

The home edition is one the one with problems. The other two are running pro edition.

The home edition is now seeing all the windows machines on the network.

Any further thoughts?

Thanks John

As well as the missing services you may need to disable ipv6, symptoms being now you see it now you don't PC's in network, not locally required in 1803 or 1809 since Homegroup got deprecated, or better if your ISP needs ipv6 change to Prefer ipv4 over ipv6 see here for Official Microsoft Fix https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...onfiguring-ipv6-in-windows-for-advanced-users.

Whereas the missing services more or less fixed the networking here I was still loosing PC's on a random basis, Prefer ipv4 over ipv6 stopped that happening.

Edit still got issues with smb1 not working on one router with a USB port, the other one is fine with or without so presume it's smb2 or 3.

Last edited:
As well as the missing services you may need to disable ipv6, symptoms being now you see it now you don't PC's in network, not locally required in 1803 or 1809 since Homegroup got deprecated, or better if your ISP needs ipv6 change to Prefer ipv4 over ipv6 see here for Official Microsoft Fix https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...onfiguring-ipv6-in-windows-for-advanced-users.

Whereas the missing services more or less fixed the networking here I was still loosing PC's on a random basis, Prefer ipv4 over ipv6 stopped that happening.

Edit still got issues with smb1 not working on one router with a USB port, the other one is fine with or without so presume it's smb2 or 3.

Ran Prefer ipv4 over ipv6 still not showing I'm beginning to suspect its to do with windows home and pro editions.

Thanks John

Ran Prefer ipv4 over ipv6 still not showing I'm beginning to suspect its to do with windows home and pro editions.

Thanks John

I've got one on Home and two on Pro all 1809 and a laptop on Mint Linux plus a smart TV all PCs wired through Gigabit switch which is wired to the router TV ethernet direct to the router and all are present and correct.
May need to reboot everything, take a bit of time for the PC's to sort out the network these days when you change anything.

One fix I've seen involves sticking the PC's in the hosts file.

Suggestion, Download advance IP scanner, that seems to work when 2windows networking doesn't! http://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com/ Yo can actually access shares with it as well although not ideal.

Another one that apparently works is to rename the problem PC and reboot.

Or do a Network Reset on it, should then prompt you to allow it to join the network.

Last edited:
I've got one on Home and two on Pro all 1809 and a laptop on Mint Linux plus a smart TV all PCs wired through Gigabit switch which is wired to the router TV ethernet direct to the router and all are present and correct.
May need to reboot everything, take a bit of time for the PC's to sort out the network these days when you change anything.

One fix I've seen involves sticking the PC's in the hosts file.

Suggestion, Download advance IP scanner, that seems to work when 2windows networking doesn't! http://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com/ Yo can actually access shares with it as well although not ideal.

Another one that apparently works is to rename the problem PC and reboot.

Or do a Network Reset on it, should then prompt you to allow it to join the network.

The advanced ip scanner seems to have done the trick. As you say it isn't ideal but for the few occasions when I need to access the share it will do fine.

Thanks John

Back