Sort of off topic - question for Nvidia users

brucem56

First, I couldn't find an "Off Topic" area to post this, apologies if I put this in the wrong forum.

For anyone using a Nvidia card and Nvidia overlay to record videos - I have a couple questions.

1. When recording, is there a way to "pause" and restart, rather than stop and start a new video?

2. I have my Nvidia set to show frame rates in lower left of screen. This works fine when I run TANE, but they do not show when I run TRS19. Anyone else have this problem?

Hi Bruce --

Is it really a problem? If the end result is several video clips why, not join them together? I use different recording software and that's exactly what I have to do.

Phil

Hi Bruce --

Is it really a problem? If the end result is several video clips why, not join them together? I use different recording software and that's exactly what I have to do.

Phil

No, it's not a problem at all, sorry if it came across that way.

All I was doing was asking a question - to see if it's possible. As for joining video clips together - that's something that's well beyond my abilities.

Thanks for the reply.

No, it's not a problem at all, sorry if it came across that way.

All I was doing was asking a question - to see if it's possible. As for joining video clips together - that's something that's well beyond my abilities.

Thanks for the reply.

There are many free apps that will do this easily. Essentially open a window, select the two clips, click "join." That's it. No video abilities needed.

Bruce --

It has something of a learning curve, but if you are up to a little challenge I suggest a free video application called "Shotcut". There are some useful youtube tutorials.

It does joining, cutting, pasting, fade in and outs, transitions and, for uploading to youtube, compression. And a lot more if you want to, for example, adding text and adding a sound track.

I've used it on my last two videos (full screen / 1080p):

and:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHGvkNNix64&t

When using compression, my recommendation is to use the HEVC (High Efficiency Video Codex, also known as x265) option.

Phil

Edit:

Afterthought. For those interested, both layouts are available from the Download Station. Only built-in and DLS content (just a few dozen of the latter). All TRS19 track, all PBR textures, all TurfFX, all SpeedTrees, and good frame rates.

Last edited:
Regarding the FPS information & nVidia...

The GeForce software has to recognise the software before the overlay will work.
That means that it has to appear in the games display. To achieve this, the program name has to be in nVidia's database.
I had the same problem with Elite:Dangerous when it changed from elite.exe to elite64.exe. Eventually it sorted out...
Colin

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will check out the Shotcut app.

Just to give you a bit of a picture, I'm not computer illiterate by any means, but I'm also not tech savy or current with todays apps. Haven't owned a phone for 3 yrs :)

It was about 2 months ago when I finally figured out how to use the Nvidia overlay to even take video. Thus my question about pausing, I watch a lot of Trainz vids on youtube and often wondered how it was done. :)

I'm retired, so I've got spare time to try n tackle that app, we'll see how it goes :)

Thanks again.

Don't feel bad. I've been an NVidia user from way back and have never made a video using their overlay either. I may be the local computer geek but even so, unless there is a need, everyone can't be up on every available feature. Looks like it's time to learn something new.

On a Mac (and I'm sure Windows too) there are several screen capture apps and this includes video. Some are free. Quicktime, which comes with every Mac, can capture video. These apps are generally very easy to use. You can either capture entire screen, window, or user defined area. Quality of captured video can usually be set also.

Surely there are many screen capture utilities for Windows.... just search web for "video screen capture"

The nVidia video capture is quite easy to use - I've used it to record the odd film/TV show as well as Trains & other games.
You need to use the settings so that the recording quality is ok, the hot key is set, and that the option is turned on.
In my system I start the display/game/video then use the hot key to start and stop recording. It will record everything visible on the screen, so for TS, use the option to turn off the mouse pointer etc before recording.
The file produce is MP4, which will play in many apps, and can be edited in let video apps.

Colin

Back