Background menu sounds

I can play my own background sounds on my PC, or on my stereo sound system ... I would rather have the ancient Trainz sound effects totally revamped to get rid of (and replace) the unrealistic rail click-clack, and other lame unrealistic Trainz sounds, such as the all too quiet: "ka-link" coupling, "Pssh" uncoupling, and "Fhtt" air hoses popping

I have assembled my favorite wav sounds from others tracksounds, JR, and some Old Boxcars, that, grunt, groan, clank, and have flange squeal at slow 1-5 mph yard track speeds ... It makes slow switching moves so realistic sounding

I would rather have the editing of Trainz sounds more easily changeable by the end user

Last edited:
Please reply to the following 5 questions:

1. In TANE we had an "ambient train sounds" piece that played in the menu. In TRS19 there is a music soundtrack. Which soundtrack do you prefer:

A - TANE (train sounds)
B - TRS19 (music)
C - neither

2. Do you have menu sound disabled in TANE?

Yes/No

3. Do you have menu sound disabled in TRS19?
Yes/No

4. Which sounds would you prefer:

A - A new selection of train related sounds
B - A new selection of music soundtracks?
C - Something else

5. Please leave some short comments...

1. B - I like the music
2 / 3. No, but I replace the train sounds with music - they personally get annoying while the music isn't
4. None
5. It's peaceful while loading new / large routes,as you do t have that annoying background sound playing x1000 times. Before I replace the tane themes, I would've loaded a small route, or mute it when loading a large route.

This is only for the menu, not surveyor or driving. Surveyor I want what is now. Same with driver, the way it is now

Last edited:
i prefer the music, the menu music is to quiet though, i have to turn my sound up much louder to hear it compared to other games and apps, the music relaxes me during route building.

Prefer no background sounds...
- If I want music I have my music library playing in background with my preferred music...
- If I want railroad sounds I mix in some audio from live train cams I usually have on (on a 2nd computer and or iPad)
(I run all devices through a small simple mixer to my audio system/headphones)

1. B
2. Yes, I've heard those sounds for a few years already and my ears did not like the loud noise whenever I opened the game :p
3. Nope, the original music is relaxing but I also put my custom music there which I like.
4. C; Maybe make the option for a custom music track a bit more obvious to unexperienced users, otherwise the original music is very relaxing and a good thing to hear while waiting for your DLC downloads, plus the volume is low enough to not distract any other music if you have that running on your PC.

Greets, Mika

(Don't have TS2019 - yet)

1 - C

2 - yes (and on all previous versions -- especially TS2012 with the trolley background sounds)

3 - N/A

4 - C (no sounds in menus at all)

5 - The only sounds I have turned on is in-game, not menus.

Bill

1. Neither (no sound, please!)

2. Yes

3. Yes - or at least I will as soon as the asset download is done and I get to start the game.

4. Neither. No sound, please. But if you're going to have sounds, make it train related sounds by default AND allow the user to point to their own MP3.

5. I absolutely abhor menu sounds. I don't get why do this kind of noise always have to be ON by default? Why not OFF by default?

I truly appreciate you asking, thank you!

AmigoLoco, you may not be aware that the last post in this thread before yours was exactly 1 year ago (check the date at the head of each post). I think everything has moved on in TANE since then.

Since this kid is already awake again, might as well feed it.

No menu/surveyer sounds. I plug in my MP3 Player and enjoy metal versions of Street Fighter songs. (Ken Masters theme happens to be my favorite of the greats.)

AmigoLoco, you may not be aware that the last post in this thread before yours was exactly 1 year ago (check the date at the head of each post). I think everything has moved on in TANE since then.

So it is... Interesting. Thanks for letting me know! Having just installed TRS19 it does seem like actually nothing has moved on... :)

A related question: Do N3V regularly solicit opinions here, and if so, is there a way to sign up to those posts so I don't end up being a year late for the next one? I certainly would like to give my feedback whenever possible (preferably starting with the new menu in TRS19, which I think is is a complete turd for both layout and navigation).

Thanks again!

1. Check the forum for new posts every day if you really want to be on top of things.
2. At the top of page is a "thread tools" dropdown box where you can subscribe to any thread
3. Signup for the email newsletters. There are normally feedback polls in the newsletters.

1. Check the forum for new posts every day if you really want to be on top of things.
2. At the top of page is a "thread tools" dropdown box where you can subscribe to any thread
3. Signup for the email newsletters. There are normally feedback polls in the newsletters.

Cool. Been on the newsletter for quite a while and taken the opportunity there whenever offered. I just haven't really paid much attention to this forum (the forum search tools being pretty horrible - especially the constant need to fill out captcha forms), and me not really having the time and patience to check it out manually every few days. But I guess I could try making that more of a routine.

Thanks for answering!

Captcha? I visit the forums multiples times a day and never see one. Doesn't your browser/system allow you to save password and auto login?

Last edited:
Please reply to the following 5 questions:

1. In TANE we had an "ambient train sounds" piece that played in the menu. In TRS19 there is a music soundtrack. Which soundtrack do you prefer:

B - TRS19 (music) More music please. The train sounds in TANE just plain annoy me because they are from an era I have no interest in.

2. Do you have menu sound disabled in TANE?

No, but if I find the sounds annoying I just take my headphones off.

3. Do you have menu sound disabled in TRS19?

No

4. Which sounds would you prefer:

B - A new selection of music soundtracks? Yes please. The first time I heard the piano music in TS2019 I loved it.

Hello Tony,

1. C. - neither

2. No

3. Yes

4. C

5. If a sound selection is needed for TRS19, use the sound of the selected locomotive / consist on the main menu.

Jeff

Happy To Contribute,

1. C
2. n/a
3. Yes
4. C
5. Music and sounds are subjective to the user. Like many others, if I want music or sounds, I will use another source. Silence Is Golden, when it comes to menu's.

Scull

TRS19 / Platinum
Build: 109646
2019 MacBook Pro 16"
2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel i9
AMD Radeon Pro 5600M 8 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Back