Can my Trainz routes and Trainz software be uploaded to Web-based

JonMyrlennBailey

gaming hosting service and played off a remote powerful gaming machine from my home PC through a high-speed Internet connection?

This could be a possibility for somebody who does not want to buy an expensive home gaming PC but rather rent

or subscribe to some cloud-based resource that would allow the customer to play his own gaming content on the

remote Web-based service's hardware instead. Basically like renting a powerful gaming PC over an Internet connection and

downstreaming the action to the home PC. Sound like a far-fetched technology? Something like remote access subscription to a gaming PC.

PS- I found something on Google called Shadow, but it is rather pricey at $39.95/month. Whether a service like this can handle Trainz Simulators well, I don't know.

Last edited:
I guess you could ... If you could order and download extra RAM for your low end PC, as virtual freeware, and order and download a high end video card for your low end laptop, as virtual freeware

Last edited:
Cloud subscription gaming services seem to be the new wave of the gaming future. One could possibly take Trainz everywhere in the world one travels with a high-speed (not dial-up-speed) Internet connection.

Imagine driving your loco in TANE with your low-end laptop at your motel room with 60 fps quality on the screen. The gaming server in theory handles all the powerful graphics processing. It just downsteams
an image to your low-end PC to view.

Your home computer or laptop then becomes simply like a "dumb terminal" as a mere input-output device connected to a powerful remote gaming computer.

You rent the "gaming horsepower" like renting a Ferrari for the weekend.

https://www.cloudwards.net/top-five-cloud-services-for-gamers/

I would probably just build/edit my routes locally at home then upload them to the service to drive. I am wondering if any of these paid cloud gaming services can actually eliminate stutter and
give me a steady 60 fps experience while driving Trainz with all game settings maxed out and loads of hardware-consuming 3-D scenery content on the route.

For now, I'm going to hold off on this kind of thing until Web-based reviews say it gets perfected and maybe even cheaper as time goes on.

Cloud-based gaming for now seems like a new experiment and one that will rely heavily on a high-quality Internet connection. I now use Wi-Fi.
The home PC cloud gaming through a connection would probably have to be hard-wired with an Ethernet cable for less latency.

Last edited:
N3V is already doing this with multi-player operations. The conditions are that the route must contain built-in or on DLS-only content with no locally modified assets. Why reinvent the wheel if it's already done, besides, subleasing or renting the program is against the license agreement unless N3V specifically allows that with the usage.

It is quite possible to run both Surveyor and Driver, in T:ANE and up, via an internal LAN connection. Wireless connections are a bit slower, but a wired LAN even at 100-base/T proved serviceable enough. I did this by installing a minimal install on my laptop and referenced the shared data and database located on my desktop computer.

The purpose for this is to allow me to sit out on my deck under the umbrella while Trainzing, and still have access to nearly a TB of content which wouldn't fit on my laptop's internal drive.

The alternative is using a remove desktop connection (RDC). I've done this quite successfully as well, but I found that was bit harsh on my desktop's hardware as that really pushed things hard. The performance was quite good, not as good as being right there, but works especially when I had visitors and I wanted to show them my Trainz stuff.

I can make one problem, and that's with capped internet as it'll eat your monthly data..

Yup and that's the problem with many places outside of the urban areas especially in our country where there are small ISPs and cable providers that tend to discourage data usage such as this. This is why content is still loaded locally on multiplayer routes, but referenced over the network for train positioning an driver/player tracking, but having a complete library loaded up on the WAN, located at some remote location, isn't quite there yet due to cost and infrastructure reasons. Not everyone can afford unlimited bandwidth, nor can they afford a business-level or other high-level fibre network.

Using a paid cloud gaming service as Shadow to play Trainz is not leasing or renting out N3V content to a 3rd party. By subscribing to cloud gaming services, I am in effect renting their hardware resources (gaming servers) for my personal use from that company. It's like renting a VCR from a rental outlet and playing copyrighted videotapes (that I own) on it in your own home.

Besides, my Trainz content used for my game play is heavily modified by me. I am only interested in playing Trainz routes that I labored very hard on myself.

The other still expensive option to get high-quality game play is to buy a high-dollar gaming computer.

Computer gaming: it's one of those you-want-to-play-you-have-to-pay-thru-the-nose propositions.

High-quality gaming is not yet available dirt cheap to the masses.

The true gaming computer still remains up there in price.

Traditionally, most consumer electronics products get dirt cheap eventually.
But gaming PC's, at least ten years on the market, stubbornly remain high price.

Plasma TV's went from $10,000 to a paltry $700 before they were dumped from the market.

In 1982, my mother paid $1,200 for her new heavy, clunky Sylvania top-loading VCR that had a cable remote.
Now, you can get a wireless remote VCR for under $100 new if they are still even in production.

It's not like HD flat-panel big-screen television sets that cost an arm and leg when they came out on the market and now are a dime-a-dozen at Walmart.

My dream is that a true gaming PC will someday come down in price to what a cheap Acer laptop now retails for at Walmart; about 200 bucks.

So for now, I will have to put up with frame stutter to play Trainz on my home-office PC.

PS- I see a 'gaming PC' listed at walmart for $429. It comes with a see-thru light-show case and a fancy keyboard and mouse.
Gaming PC vendors should offer the consumer the option of just buying a plain-jane black tower and spend the production costs
solely on high-quality gaming electronics inside the boring-looking PC case. Flashy red LED lights have nothing to do with reducing frame stutter.

Last edited:
Shadow play in effect is like a client server setup using Citrix or Microsoft Terminal Server with Remote Desktops. There is a bit of a performance hit with this kind of setup because there is a callback, update, callback, refresh, update, etc., in addition to the fact that the display is actually only small chunks of the real data and not the full animation you have on a local machine. This can be done on a local setup using Remote Desktop setup on both computers. Run the "server" side on the machine with the program and the "client" on the remote machine. Go and sit in another room and connect. Even on a LAN, the performance is a bit slow, albeit, doable. Over the wireless connection on my laptop for example to my desktop, the performance was sluggish, but usable. Driver was chunky, but Surveyor was fine. I actually had better performance using a shared data folder and connecting directly to it over the network.

For a remote setup there's still that the huge amount of content. For a newcomer, this isn't a problem, but for many of us who have been at this going on 1-1/2 decades or longer, we have close to a Terabyte (yes 1 TB) of data. That's a lot of data to copy up to a cloud-based server somewhere and leave in the hands of someone else, and at the whim of yet another subscription. The amount of time needed to transfer this data alone can be daunting just last night I moved my complete T:ANE install to my backup drive since I am no longer using T:ANE full time. That data copy/move process took 9-1/2 hours, or roughly 100 GB per hour for the 983GB of content I have.

No matter how you slice it, modern 3D games need some serious hardware to really show their stuff. Even if you could upload your complete TANE, you'll want an industrial strength connection with real unlimited bandwith which is not cheap either. Unless you have some really monster Internet connection, the internal speeds and data pipe between the various components (disk, memory, CPU, GPU, screen) will be faster and bigger. Better go for a local solution. Aim for a notch below bleeding edge and you'll find the price difference significant without that big a drop in performance.

John, it sounds like $34.95 a month is a total rip off for this Shadow thing. It might be just smarter to put that money in the bank toward my very own home gaming PC
while just slugging it out playing Trainz on my not-so-racy home office meanwhile. There seems to be no way around to get cheap but quality game play for our train sim. Yes. it's
like a proverbial free lunch. One does not get Ferrari performance for a Ford Focus price.

Last edited:
I always thought, as most peoples low end laptops will never even come close in performance to run Trainz ... that an external video card could be set up between the laptop video output, and a external monitor ... while this product does exist ... It is a bit pricey ... just as expensive as buying a high end laptop that has it's own quality video card installed
https://www.google.com/search?rls=c...8rNM:&imgrc=0DRJMexXUQIlUM:&spf=1543251656560

d9acbde9b730f110163c8dc84e8cf2bc-970-80.jpg

Last edited:
I would just rather have a gaming tower purpose-built.

Check out the Vanquish 7 by Digital Storm for $699. It looks promising and might even handle Trainz well on maxed-out settings.

I would just rather have a gaming tower purpose-built.

Check out the Vanquish 7 by Digital Storm for $699. It looks promising and might even handle Trainz well on maxed-out settings.

That's actually a nice company that makes very well made computers.

Post the specs here and the experts will let you know if it's worth it. :)

• Mid Tower Chassis
  • AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
  • Radeon RX Vega 11 Benchmark: 2288 https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+RX+Vega+11&id=3893
  • 8GB DDR4 Memory
  • 2TB 7200RPM Storage
  • Premium CPU Cooler
  • 600W Power Supply
  • A320M Motherboard
  • Windows 10

Digital Storm Vanquish Level 1 above.

What is the ideal minimum graphics card benchmark for maxing out the latest edition of Trainz?

Walmart is offering a Dell Inspiron Gaming Desktop 5680, Intel® Core™ i5-8400, NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060, 16GB M.2 PCIe Intel® Optane™ Memory + 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM, i5680-5382BLU-PUS for a paltry $749. This seems more practical in the long run than one of these paid cloud gaming services that John C. and others here say aren't so hot. It would seem that this Dell is the Corvette of gaming PCs if not a "Ferrari". Better to save up for or finance a new Corvette than rent a Ferrari.

• What's more is this Dell even has a DVD and front USB ports unlike the Vanquish. If there is an issue with the machine when it is new, it can easily returned to my local Walmart store and not have to be shipped. Could I be gettin' a DELL, dude?

The 1060 card can run T:ANE up to 139 fps according to this benchmark test site:

https://www.game-debate.com/hardware/index.php?gid=3540&graphics=GeForce GTX 1060

Last edited:
Back