"Kicking" Cars Issue

geno1005

After being able to successfully 'kick' train cars for switching, etc., for some reason as of late it doesn't work 80% of the time. A few minutes ago, same train, same location, same everything, I successfully uncoupled one car, applied the brake and the car cut away and rolled to its new consist. I pull forward, reverse, do the EXACT same thing again, and the train literally 'bounces' to a stop...the cars I cut off come to a complete halt and the remaining train and the locomotive literally bounce down the track in the opposite direction.

Any ideas on what I'm suddenly doing wrong, or what might have changed?

Thanks in advance

Geno

It could be the cars themselves?

JR cars brakes you can apply or release while others are the regular built-in variety.

Makes Sense

That's possible and would potentially explain why things behaved differently in two identical situations a minute apart. I didn't realize that the JR cars handled that function differently. If that's the case, is there something you need to do to the car before you turn it loose or would it just be impossible to kick them at all?

Thanks for the reply!

Geno

That's possible and would potentially explain why things behaved differently in two identical situations a minute apart. I didn't realize that the JR cars handled that function differently. If that's the case, is there something you need to do to the car before you turn it loose or would it just be impossible to kick them at all?

Thanks for the reply!

Geno

Right-click on a JR boxcar and look at the brake options. There's a slider on them to release brakes, or at least it's on some of the newer ones unless the script updates them all.

The method I always use is to uncouple while going back , then change direction and go forward without stopping the loco.
Cheers,
Mike

Thanks for the advice and suggestions everyone. I haven’t been able to get back to the computer this weekend but I’ll give it a try and and let everyone know what happens. Thanks again,

Genoe

So I tried the whole 'cutting cars loose on the fly' thing again last night...and once again, first time worked like a charm...cars rolled away beautifully, applied the train brakes and it stopped short of the switch.

I took that same train (with the cars that were left from the first industry I had worked) down the track to the next industry and did the same thing...and as soon as I clicked on the coupler with the train in motion, the whole thing came to a halt, with the cars I cut off stopped dead still, and the rest of the train and the locomotive literally bouncing down the track in the opposite direction.

The cars that worked were the Trinity 17,600 gallon HFCS cars...a bunch of different cars didn't work...but any place to adjust the hand brakes on any of the cars wasn't obvious to me when I right clicked the 'View Details' screen...if it existed I couldn't find it.

I am doing this the right way? Train up to 5 or 6 MPH, click the coupler in motion, apply brakes to the train. Could I be doing it wrong and it just works some of the time?

Any suggestions?

Geno

Could it be timing? I have had things work once but not a second, but worked a third time fine.

How about an incline?

Is the second industry on a flat surface unlike the first?

Is the second set empty, or have a lighter load?

Some of JR's boxcars have brake settings as a slider. You ctrl-right-click on the boxcar and it brings up the info panel with the slider.s

The mass of the cars can make a difference too - the more weight and they'll roll more.

I was kicking loaded coal hoppers once. All was going fine until I kicked a few too many and it put the consist over a hump and then down the hill. I ended up chasing after them with my mouse as I tried to click on them so I could press A to apply the brakes. I missed and everything dumped into the river a la Trainz style. It would have been more dramatic with spilled coal and hoppers flipped over, but it wasn't and easily cleaned up by deleting the freight cars in the consist editor.

I realise I am 4 years late to the party, but working in T:ANE can be time consuming. I had this exact issue and started making a pick list of 'kickable' cars... until I discovered what the problem was. Don't kick cars when in reverse! I've found if I kick cars over a hump when the loco is in reverse, the kicked cars freeze in position and your entire train will bounce off them in the opposite direction. It's a bug of sum sort, the wheels on the 'frozen' car are still spinning - but it's completely immobile unless you hitch back up to it. Kicking the cars with the loco in forward has no issue. Now the only problem I'm trying to solve is the varying travel of free rolling cars, some will roll all the way through the hump yard whilst others grind to a halt on the jack points, usually because they've applied their own handbrake.

Anyway, I see you've moved on to Trainz 2019 - hopefully this is a non-issue in the later releases.

Back