Bill Klein Mohawk Boogaloo

ktain.ny

Ok bois

I don't know if any of you guys remember The Mohawk That Wouldn't Quit, utilizing Bill Klein's L3a (?) Mohawk. It was designed over 10 years ago and is very outdated by today's standards. Alas, it is the only model of the New York Central L class Mohawks to exist for this game. Awhile back I was working on #3124 and managed to get it running and working in T:ANE properly, although I can't remember for the life of me how I did it.

The engine itself is fine and it looks good enough, although that is problemo for later. For now we gotta figure out a way to get this asset functioning as it should in T:ANE. It installs with no errors or anything like that, ready to go out of the box. The issue is that there is something wrong with the way the locomotive accelerates. I tried many times to fix it to no avail.

So I was hoping maybe you guys do? I hope we can really make this dated asset shine again!

Ok bois

I don't know if any of you guys remember The Mohawk That Wouldn't Quit, utilizing Bill Klein's L3a (?) Mohawk. It was designed over 10 years ago and is very outdated by today's standards. Alas, it is the only model of the New York Central L class Mohawks to exist for this game. Awhile back I was working on #3124 and managed to get it running and working in T:ANE properly, although I can't remember for the life of me how I did it.

The engine itself is fine and it looks good enough, although that is problemo for later. For now we gotta figure out a way to get this asset functioning as it should in T:ANE. It installs with no errors or anything like that, ready to go out of the box. The issue is that there is something wrong with the way the locomotive accelerates. I tried many times to fix it to no avail.

So I was hoping maybe you guys do? I hope we can really make this dated asset shine again!

Acceleration problems have to do with the engine-spec. Find an engine-spec that works, or fiddle around with the one used by this engine and take it from there.

bill69 has done a couple of 4-8-2 especs that might work for you.

<kuid2:243294:100376:1> FEC #813 4-8-2 e-spec TS12
<kuid2:243294:100278:1> USRA light 4-8-2 e-spec TS12

It has to be because one of the bogeys used by the loco has the direct-drive flag enabled in the config. Open the config file on all bogies that the Mohawk is dependent on and check for direct-drive flags. If the flag is there and is set to 1, change it 0, save the config file and commit the bogey asset. Hope this helps.
Myabe the trailing bogey or an invisible bogey is the culprit.

Ok, I will try that and let you all know what I did. In the mean time I am going to shoot Steve Lerro and email and ask about possibly releasing this after I fix it and bash it into a really awesome locomotive.

EDIT

Alrighty.

I'm having some issues getting the Direct-drive stuff working, but I think I can figure it out. Next up: the engine sounds and hornsounds need to be replaced, and some kit-bashing will need to happen!

EDIT EDIT

Ok I replaced all the deps that needed updating and I still cannot get the direct-drive thingy working. I will ask some folks on the backshops discord.

Last edited:
EDIT EDIT

Ok I replaced all the deps that needed updating and I still cannot get the direct-drive thingy working. I will ask some folks on the backshops discord.

Hi ktain.ny,

I have that loco running in T:ane and sounding as it should. First change the e-spec to kuid2:243294:100278:1 then edit all the bogeys including the invisible drive bogeys to "direct-drive 0" or take the direct drive tag out. Then in the visible drive bogey kuid2:44797:50069:1 type in a direct drive tag i.e. "direct-drive 1" without the quotes. Then change the engine sound, I recommend kuid123250:100141 After editing and submitting the edits remember that if you have this loco on a track somewhere it has to be removed then replaced with the new version.

Best of luck.
Bill69

Last edited:
Okay I did everything you said but it didn't work.

Does it matter where in the config you put the Direct-drive?

Okay I did everything you said but it didn't work.

Does it matter where in the config you put the Direct-drive?

I usually put the "direct-drive" tag just below the "anim-dist" tag. Also note: do not use capitals in config tags.

If it does not work I am sure there is something you have done wrong, did you change the kuids in the kuid table? Did you submit the bogeys after editing them?

If all else fails send me a PM.

Bill69

Last edited:
That seems to have done the trick, thanks Bill! In addition I changed out the smoke deps to K&L's smoke dependency.

Next problem.

The smoke of the engine spawns like 2 1/2 feet above where it should. This was a problem before and after I changed the deps.

Hi ktain.ny

To change the smoke position I usually make a new attachment point with PEV's attachment maker, however there may be another way,
try using a position tag in the config file. The format is "position tab, tab, x,y,z" the x, y and z numbers are distance from position of the existing attachment and can be positive or negative. You would have to put the position tag in the smoke container for the smoke stack.

Glad you at least got the loco working.

Cheers,
Bill69

Hi again, I forgot to say the Z axis is the vertical one so you probably want "position 0,0,-0.1"

Cheers,
Bill69

Last edited:
Thanks,

Is there any way to look at where each attachment is on the locomotive directly? Like is there a sort of 3d viewer that shows each of the attachment points on the model?

Yes, you need a program called "Trainz mesh viewer" by PEV. I think it is still available on Shane Turner's web site. Look for a post by Shane and you will find a link at the bottom.

Cheers,
Bill69

In order to see the attachment points, right click with your mouse and select 'View Attachments'; then they will appear.

hi bill69

just like ktrain.ny my mahwk suffers the same issue and i did do the step you stated but when i tried saving the e-spec its unable to

hi bill69

like ktain.ny my mohawk suffers the same issue but i did every thing you said but when i try to submit edits for the e specs but it says its unable to because its a diffrent kuid

hi bill69

like ktain.ny my mohawk suffers the same issue but i did every thing you said but when i try to submit edits for the e specs but it says its unable to because its a diffrent kuid

Are you changing the KUID to your own, or changing the version of the existing KUID in any way?

Those are the two reasons why you would receive that error message.

2021-05-12_101450.jpg

Just saw this thread and I was working on this.

Back