2019 PDF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayco-man

Is there a pdf file of the new hand book in TRS2019, and if so can someone tell me where its at. Thank you in advance.

This isn't unusual with software today. Gone are the days with bookshelves of user manuals, and locally based support. My tech bookshelves have far fewer user manuals than there are my backups of install disks than even from a few years ago. There are fewer software boxes too, with the storage and networks we have today.

Why should any company spend the money creating a library when the information can be better searched online. Even the big, expensive, and I mean far more expensive software packages than this, no longer have a user manual or manuals to speak of. Installing something today is nothing more than a download or cloud connection, and with that comes maybe a brief how to document online, or if it is a disc it comes with a two-pager quick-start guide and the rest of the information is available off the company website in a wiki. Again why waste resources, especially with a small company with limited resources, which can be put to better use elsewhere.

You're being too logical there. I still have my TRS2004 manuals. Well thumbed since I went ahead printed and spiral bound them to make them easier to consult. Of course I had to add many marginal notes as new information was discovered, whereas online manuals can be very easily updated.

Printed manuals are very much a thing of the past. Not only are they expensive to print, even when printed in China as the vast majority of them were/are, they become obsolete or out of date as soon as the first SP or even HF is released. PDF manuals, while cheaper to create and distribute, don't solve the obsolete problem. Web based resources, such as wikis and similar, are the way of the future. It will of course disadvantage those who do not have permanent internet access (or any access at all) but people with that problem are becoming fewer in number.

As a former textbook writer (now retired) I saw these changes in action. While physical textbooks are still produced their days are clearly numbered. The last book I was involved in writing was entirely web based with subscription access. The web based media allows for updates and new features to be added on a regular basis - vital for technology based subjects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back