Railroad mile post information

1611mac

- - . -
New to TRS19 but also new to railfanning in general. I want to try my hand at "meeting" some local trains so I'm listening to NS and CSX and locals on scanner in my local county learning the RR and local "jargon." Outside of going to actually see for myself, is there any resource that would tell me "mile post" locations? I see that openrailwaymap.org has milestone indicator in it's legend, but no milestones show on the map.

Thanks.

Very little details are intelligible on RR scanner radio ... Mostly garbled chatter ... By the time you hear what's going on, the train has long passed by that location

This is about as detailed as you would get ... Shows curve radius and gradients too
70chthsc.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! Interesting document... I wouldn't begin to know where to find something like that. I enjoy Danny Harmons video's and the scanner seems to be a key item (at least for CSX due to their radio calls)... He illustrates knowing "where you are" (mile markers) with a time table. I can't seem to locate "time tables" such as what he shows 40 secs into the vid.

EDIT: I likely just need to jump in my Chevy van and scout out a few at key points to start building my knowledge. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! Interesting document... I wouldn't begin to know where to find something like that. I enjoy Danny Harmons video's and the scanner seems to be a key item (at least for CSX due to their radio calls)... He illustrates knowing "where you are" (mile markers) with a time table. I can't seem to locate "time tables" such as what he shows 40 secs into the vid.

EDIT: I likely just need to jump in my Chevy van and scout out a few at key points to start building my knowledge. :)

You can look around on this site to find the track charts with about all the info you would need. The track diagrams are all out of date to one extent or another but one thing that does stay pretty consistant is the milepost markers. I own several UP divisions worth of track charts and have very little problem figuring out where the mileposts are physically located.

https://railfandepot.com/product-ca...s/railroad-information-products-track-charts/

In fact, I can see milepost marker 915 from my favorite railfan location! Also, I position my vehicle so I can see the new signal bridge by the depot so I can correlate the radio traffic with the train's coming and going. The trains that are westbound come down grade from the Aspen-Altamont tunnels and more or less coast around a blind corner and have suprised me more than once. Because radio traffic doesn't always give me warning of a westbound train, having the signal green light for the westbound track gives me a heads up for a oncoming train. If you can find a convenient (and legal, of course, no trespass) site to watch a trackside signal, you'll have a lot more fun watching trains.

Take care,

Hello.. thanks very much. Your reply is appreciated! I've got some CSX and NS lines close but the closest operator to me is Carolina Coastal Railway which I'd like to check out. These smaller operators interest me, perhaps because of the equipment. They only run twice a week I think so they would be hard to catch I'd think.

Thanks!

Back