Longest freight train car you know of?

The Conrail once tested a monster 600 car taconite iron ore gennie train, with 8 locos front, 2 more front mid train, and 2 more rear mid train, and 6 more rear end. It broke so many knuckles between Morrisville PA, and Paoli PA, (and that area is generally flat) that it was broken up, and sent in 5 sections to Youngstown OH steel mills.

Unrelated: This is what happens when you pull too hard on a drawbar ................. This is how you get fired
images
images
images

Last edited:
I have seen loads that span 3 flatcars, and high/wide Schnabel loads, and jet airliner fuselages spanning multiple flatcars, as well as new locomotives being shipped across the world strapped up on blocking ties, with it's trucks on a separate car, and super long 6 axle, and dual trucked 8 axle, whale belly tank cars ... I can no longer find the video of a long flatcar that lost it's entire load of multiple long pipes, when band strapping broke, on the run (it was awesomely shocking), I saw large green gas petroleum pipes being shipped west, for years on end ... It was for a really long endless pipeline ... Automobile parts box cars are really big when you are inside one ... I saw pictures of huge high/wide load plate girders being shipped, strapped to individual freight trucks (the huge girder being the railcar beam itself)

Last edited:
I have seen loads that span 3 flatcars, and high/wide Schnabel loads, and jet airliner fuselages spanning multiple flatcars, as well as new locomotives being shipped across the world strapped up on blocking ties, with it's trucks on a separate car, and super long 6 axle, and dual trucked 8 axle, whale belly tank cars ... I can no longer find the video of a long flatcar that lost it's entire load of multiple long pipes, when band strapping broke, on the run (it was awesomely shocking), I saw large green gas petroleum pipes being shipped west, for years on end ... It was for a really long endless pipeline ... Automobile parts box cars are really big when you are inside one ... I saw pictures of huge high/wide load plate girders being shipped, strapped to individual freight trucks (the huge girder being the railcar beam itself)

Thank, Cas -- very informative, sir
Tomorrow look more into this!:wave:
Have a good night!
Ish

I would imagine that the one end has some degree of pivoting, and the other end is on a heavy duty sling, the middle section just moves back and forth toward the sides of the railcar to some degree, on large radius mainline curves.

At the loading terminal, and the receiving terminal, they probably take great care to guide it over tighter radius tracks at very slow speeds.

Caught this windmill generator blade train just the other day..

Credit: Railstream, LLC - railstream.net

I actually saw a train of these when I was in Denver in June 2016.

I'm glad you credited Rail Stream for the picture Andrea and Mike would be happy to see that. I was a moderator there until I had eye surgery, and reading all the text proved too taxing on my eyes.

Back to topic:

I've seen Schnabel cars in action carrying some parts of a steam turbine or something. They are really, really huge!

Back