Interlocking Tower - Path Not Activable

ttownsend

Hi folks.

I've been spending a little bit of time with Trainz 2019 (build 97556). and for the most part I'm very impressed (and looking forward to the final release). However, I've come across what may be user error, a bug, an installation/version issue, or a combination of all of those.

On one of my test routes, I have a single Interlocking Tower that has two paths. Both paths control the same set of signals and junctions, but simply in the reverse direction of one another (an eastbound path and a westbound path). What I'm observing is that once a train locks one of the two paths, the other path can no longer be activated for the remainder of the session. For example: A train locks the eastbound path and begins to navigate it. Immediately the Tower Manager (rule) reports >>> westbound "path not activable". That would make sense since the eastbound path is currently in use. The problem is that, even after the eastbound path has been released (and the train has long since cleared it), the westbound path remains "not activable". I've tried using the "ITCancelEnhancedPath" command, but that makes no difference. I've also tried various IT path settings (Automatic, Manual, etc...) but the problem persists. Independently, each path works fine on its own, but whichever one is locked first, the other becomes permanently inactivable.

For me, the issue is very easy to reproduce ... it happens even on a test route with just some empty baseboards and a length of single track (with some signals, of course). So I'm just wondering if anyone else has encountered this before, or perhaps if I'm implementing the IT incorrectly.

- Tom

PS: (I'm using the Enhanced TRC3 invisible Interlocking Tower ... SP2 and later. Aug 2018)

If you haven't already done so, add the IT Enhanced Manager rule (SP2 and later), <kuid2:61392:8130:58>, to your session.

Then, in Driver, click on the green 'RT' icon at the top right of your screen and select the tower manager. By selecting the appropriate tower and path, you should be able to see what is preventing the path from activating. If there is nothing obvious, then it could well be a bug. Your best bet would then be to package up your test route in a cdp and let the EIT author, pguy, take a look. Pierre is active on the forums so he may well chip in with other suggestions for you.

Regards,
John

Hi Tom.

As John has explained, with Enhanced Interlocking Towers, there is a rule IT Enhanced Manager rule (SP2 and later), <kuid2:61392:8130:58> that has been designed to help making diagnostics about an Interlocking Tower problem by implementing a run time monitor facility, that lists all available towers on your route, for a tower the list of all its path with its current status (path not set, path activating, path active, path cancelling, … ) and which train owns the path and which trains have queued requests waiting for path ownership and activation. There is also a path details page displayed when you select the path that makes an analysis of why a path is not activable giving you a short explanation why the path does not currently activate with the list of all needed ressources with their lock state and which other conflicting path is currently owning the lock blocking the path activation.
Looking at this run time monitor is always for me the first step to understand a problem : if a path does not activate though all the ressources are available it is then a bug ; if the problem is due to some needed ressources not available first it enables to understand the initial cause of the problem and to work to solve the ressource problem if the ressource should have been available (in this case it is no longer an EIT problem but a ressource not available problem).

To use the monitor, just add the rule to your list of rules to be used in the session. To use the monitor at run time, in Tane as John explained click on the green "RT" icon at the top right of your screen ; in TRS2019 the tools menu (the second item in the top menu with some tools icon) should display a "Run time monitor" menu item ; select it and in the list of all run time monitors select towers manager. it should display an initial page with list of all available towers : select the tower you need to diagnose and it will display the list of paths with their state, train owner and train waiting path activation.

If you suspect any EIT bug after this first diagnosis, just package a copy of your route and session with all dependencies not available on DLS (for DLS items I am able to retrieve them from DLS) and send me the package (contact me by PM and I will return you the email adress to use) with a short description of the problem encountered (which tower and path, which train, at what time in your session, expected behaviour and what does not happen, …) . Generally I am able to look at your route and session and make a first diagnosis during the following week.

Regards.
Pierre.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the replies.

Regarding the IT Enhanced Manager rule (SP2 and later), I do indeed have it installed. It is through that rule where I saw "Path Not Activable". I also accessed the "detail" page for the path, but (stupid me) failed to write down the exact wording of the error and subsequently didn't mention it in my original post. Unfortunatley, I'm not at my home computer right now, so I won't be able to get the exact error until later today. However, I recall that when I opened the detail for the path, most every waypoint (signal/junction) had an error next to it mentioning something about not having an "owner". As I said, I'll get the exact wording of the error later today and post it. I'll also do a bit more investigating and if it does seem like it might be a bug, I'll package up the test route and send it along.

Thanks again for your help.

- Tom

UPDATE: I just checked the error message as shown on the detail page (IT Enhanced Manager Rule). When the session starts out, both paths are waiting path activation. The moment that one path is locked, the other path immediately changes to Path Not Activable. When I open the detail page on that path, every object in the path now shows the error: "Path object has no tower owner".

Last edited:
Back