Trainz and TS19 Backups?

boleyd

I have seen that for years I have backups saved somewhere. Great, but where are they and how do I use them as a backup for my purchases? I assume that they are in a proprietary packed binary format which means you need some special unpacking software. Is there a tool to reclaim data from the backups. What is the granularity of the backups.

? ? ?

The DLC require no backups because they get redownloaded should you do a fresh install and is downloaded to the Packages folder. Your own personal content, stuff that you purchased elsewhere such as from RR Mods or Jointed Rail, and stuff from the DLS are installed into the remaining data folders. I've bolded the folders here to show which ones.

Code:
PS F:\TRS2019_Data> ls

Directory: F:\TRS2019_Data

Mode                LastWriteTime         Length Name
----                -------------         ------ ----
d-----       11/18/2018   1:19 AM                backups
d-----       11/18/2018   5:40 PM                cache
d-----       11/18/2018   1:39 AM                editing
d-----       11/16/2018  10:33 AM                libraries
[B]d-----         9/8/2018   4:44 PM                local[/B]
[B]d-----        9/16/2018   6:49 PM                original[/B]
[B]d-----       11/16/2018   1:09 AM                packages[/B]
d-----       11/14/2018  11:19 PM                screenshots
-a----       11/18/2018  12:32 PM      381260800 asset-cache.tdx
-a----       11/18/2018  10:34 AM          98304 asset-cache.tdx-shm
-a----       11/18/2018  12:32 PM       10587976 asset-cache.tdx-wal
-a----       11/18/2018   5:40 PM      154598113 assets.tdx
-a----       11/16/2018   8:12 PM         869587 crashdump.dmp
-a----       11/18/2018   5:15 PM         667150 keystore.tdx

If you are concerned about backing up stuff, I would back up the complete user data folder structure to ensure that everything is backed up rather than pick and choose thinking that you've got what you should. It's better to be redundantly safe than sorry when it comes to backups.

I back up the whole install of TANE and TRS19 plus Userdata every few days, easier to just copy it all back rather than messing around with re-installs and downloading gigabytes of packages.

I also do the gross backup. Restoring the entire data package in one go does seem the safest. I moved the Data to its own disk and it worked. That, plus other things, ends up at about 350gb. Only changes are incrementally backed each night. Obviously you can't pick and choose items from Backups. I was really wondering if that was possible but since no tool is offered it is hands off.

Making CDPs periodically during an editing period is a good way to limit the time and risk. I try to remember but...... Perhaps N3V could offer to make a CDP when you leave an editing session. A simple check-to-backup mark in the Save Session opportunity would suffice.

You follow the same procedure I do. If I'm making major changes to a route or session, I'll make an additional CDP just in case, but usually I do that on a monthly basis for all my personal routes and sessions. I also do a gross backup as well. I copy the User data folder to my external backup drive on a weekly basis. I haven't done it so much with TRS19 yet, but I should since I've been doing more and more in that and less with T:ANE. I will do this tonight and then get myself on track for that data since T:ANE is now less used.

Thank you all for information.

I copied complete TANE folder into a 38gb thumb drive then, as an experiment, tried to run programme from this drive but received message that I check my Auran a/c.

I copied complete TANE folder into a 38gb thumb drive then, as an experiment, tried to run programme from this drive but received message that I check my Auran a/c.

Just need to set up data folder and input password, settings etc again if copying to a different drive.

That would make sense. If you only copied your programme and not the user data, then the programme is looking for your login information because the programme running on the thumb drive had created a new mostly empty data folder except for the built-in stuff.

I never recommend running any programs, except for small utilities such as installers or malware scanners from a thumbdrive. These devices don't have the reliability or speed for this kind of operation and will fail quite quickly.

It is would be fun to see if it works. But, these thing do have a limited number of read/write cycles so don't get used to using one for N3V stuff. If you do get it to work it would be interesting to hear comments on performance. Just keep the experiment brief.

Hi

I thought it was only the directory that has the current install in that needs to be backed up if you goto settings and install ... the hash files in the user directory are created from the database rebuild .. im doung this now as its time to upgrade my computer, also have to backup ts12 user directory ... got myself a 5tb backup drive d:/NV3GAMES that has a tane and trs19 directory with those ones i mentioned under it 511gb

Tom

Back