Trainz Sim 2: Mac Safetran & Crossing Signal Help

seaboardgp38

North Carolina Railfan
Hello, I'm not sure where I should post this but I was trying to see anybody could help me how to get a restricting on the safetran signals from Jointed Rail? All these years I've tried but cannot figure out how to do so.

Also since I'm running trainz on a Macbook pro, how do I change the bells for the bnsf50 crossing signals that are designed to be used with the ATLS system, some of those "default" crossing bells just flat out suck and cannot stand them (no disrespect).

Any help is gladly appreciated.

For the bells and this is done using Content Manager:

Open up an ATLS crossing of your choice for Editing in the Finder. Copy the .wav file to your desktop for safe keeping, because you'll need it in the next step. I need to mention that the sounds may not be in the asset its self, but in an asset library. This means you need to look at the dependency of the ATLS crossing first to ensure you choose the right one for editing. I never looked at these assets in this detail and have only used them as is.

Anyway after taking the .wav file, Revert the ATLS asset (might be the crossing) to original. Command-R on the MAC, I think.

Open up your Grading xing US the same way in Finder from within Content Manager, and paste that .wav file into the folder.

You need to name the .wav file to be exactly the same as what's in the Grade xing US folder, otherwise, things won't work.

Sadly the content creator, Clem, aka BNSF50, is no longer with us and passed away in 2012, otherwise, I am sure he would have updated the bells. The bell used in those crossings sounded quite nice back when these now quite old crossings were created. They's stood up quite well considering the age of the assets. There is a way of repairing the sound files, but I can't remember the process. It has something to do with fixing the gain or the offset, but as I said I can't remember.

For the Jointed Rail signals, ensure you have the latest Signal FX scripts available from Jointed Rail. I think that will fix that problem for you.

Hope this helps.

Open up an ATLS crossing of your choice for Editing in the Finder. Copy the .wav file to your desktop for safe keeping, because you'll need it in the next step. I need to mention that the sounds may not be in the asset its self, but in an asset library. This means you need to look at the dependency of the ATLS crossing first to ensure you choose the right one for editing. I never looked at these assets in this detail and have only used them as is.

Anyway after taking the .wav file, Revert the ATLS asset (might be the crossing) to original. Command-R on the MAC, I think.

Open up your Grading xing US the same way in Finder from within Content Manager, and paste that .wav file into the folder.

You need to name the .wav file to be exactly the same as what's in the Grade xing US folder, otherwise, things won't work.

Sadly the content creator, Clem, aka BNSF50, is no longer with us and passed away in 2012, otherwise, I am sure he would have updated the bells. The bell used in those crossings sounded quite nice back when these now quite old crossings were created. They's stood up quite well considering the age of the assets. There is a way of repairing the sound files, but I can't remember the process. It has something to do with fixing the gain or the offset, but as I said I can't remember.

For the Jointed Rail signals, ensure you have the latest Signal FX scripts available from Jointed Rail. I think that will fix that problem for you.

Hope this helps.

I'll try that and see if it works, I would like to get the aspect for a yard entrance like in real life. Thanks

Hope this helps.

I've downloaded those so called scripts and still nothing....what will it take? :'(

Look for NRC or Not Rail Connected crossings.

The ATLS system is individual components such as crossing gates and lights separate from the "controllers" to actuate the crossings. The actual ATLS components themselves don't have the bells and lights because they are generic and work with various systems from around the world and not just Australia, US, and Canada who all use a similar crossing gates

Look for NRC or Not Rail Connected crossings.

The ATLS system is individual components such as crossing gates and lights separate from the "controllers" to actuate the crossings. The actual ATLS components themselves don't have the bells and lights because they are generic and work with various systems from around the world and not just Australia, US, and Canada who all use a similar crossing gates

My bad for not clarifying...I meant to say I downloaded the signal fx from Jointed rail and I still cannot seem to get it to display a lunar (white) signal for the yard entrance or for switching from signaled to unsignaled track.

Update: Nevermind, I got it to display the aspect. You have to go in driver mode and manually right click it and it'll give you the option to display the restricting aspect. Thanks a lot anyway for the help on the crossings though :D

Last edited:
My bad for not clarifying...I meant to say I downloaded the signal fx from Jointed rail and I still cannot seem to get it to display a lunar (white) signal for the yard entrance or for switching from signaled to unsignaled track.

Update: Nevermind, I got it to display the aspect. You have to go in driver mode and manually right click it and it'll give you the option to display the restricting aspect. Thanks a lot anyway for the help on the crossings though :D

Well at least you figured it out. I was a bit confused after being interrupted when I was posting and forgot to reread the original post I quoted. What usually happens is I get a phone call or have to help someone as soon as I start posting something!

The JR signals can be quite powerful once they're setup and even work well at their default.

Back