Is CPU Speed or Number of CPUs The Best measure?

boleyd

With fancy $$$ CPUs sporting multiple cores, does the base speed mater more than the number of cores? Is TS19 basically a single thread program when running trains or making changes? If it is, then I read that the rationale for CPU selection is the base speed not the the number of cores it has. Is this true??

https://www.google.com/search?q=CPU...f+cores?&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

Check this link out, it has lots reference answers to your Query....

Bottom line the Software needs to written for additional Core Support, depends on if the Company can do this, and it cost more time and money to produce Multi Core using Software? Not all companies have the resources, time and Money to do this......

It is a major problem in the Software World, because there are lot of Variables when you write Software from Single Core to Multi Core compatibility.

The other thing, CPU chips are being Shrunk for more speed, however they can only be shrunk to certain level, then it would come to design Chips on Atomic level size, so to buffer the size shrinkage limitation on Chip Die Size, MOB and Chip makers have switched over to add multi Core setups, don't be surprised if you see 16 Cores or more in the Future. But Software has to be written to take more expansive CPU Core Thread arrangement, else, the Core just idles on the Chip with nothing to do?

I think info is applicable in relation to Core support:

"This wasn’t only a problem with how operating systems like Windows handled tasks back in the day. Having a CPU with only one core ensures that you would only be able to accomplish one task at a time. Having multiple cores lets a CPU process multiple things at one time, dividing the work into multiple units. If one core gets “clogged” by a task that just keeps looping (e.g. the program using that core freezes), the chip’s overall work can still continue while you figure out what’s wrong or eventually close the program to free up that core.In essence, cores are multitasking instruments. They allow more dynamism and an easier flow when running things on your computer. Today, even smartphones have CPUs with multiple cores.
Multi-core CPUs appear faster because they are able to take a much larger amount of workload than their single-core counterparts. They are very reliable at removing congestion. Think of them as runways at an airport. The more of them you have, the easier it will be to get planes on the ground."

It is and interesting Paradox that affects us all in may ways.

Last edited:
TANE driver certainly can spread itself out over more than one CPU, in fact TS2009 was the last version that only had a single thread. In addition to the cores that the game uses the operating system can sit on yet another core and just to complicate matters Intel now has turbo mode which temporarily can boost the speed of the processor.

Having said that TANE runs the CPU cooler and the GPU hotter than TS2012 from John Citron's measurements so the CPU isn't quite so important as the GPU.

Usually the limiting factor to performance is getting information into the CPU and out again. So an i7 or Xeon basically has better caches than an i5. My favourite buy this week is a refurbished Dell workstation with a 6 core XEON processor its has a very nice power supply and even if the CPU is a little out of date its still very fast.

At the moment Intel can't produce enough CPUs so now CPUs are at premium prices at the moment and are expected to remain there until Q2 2019.

Cheerio John

Back